How many raids will there be on exotics over the next months

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I just saw a news item (Channel 10 in Melbourne) on a bust in a Dandenong factory (SE of Melbourne in Victoria). There were lots of Japanese Red Bellied Newts, a Red Eared Slider Turtle, and a couple of Red Tailed boas of good size.

A 25 year old man was charged.

There was mention of the $100K plus fine and or a jail sentence which I think was up to 5 months.

There was some mention that this was part of the crack down after the exotic amnesty and that the department was expecting to net a lot of exotics and place numerous charges because very few animals had been handed in as part of the amnesty.

Also seized was a rather beautiful Diamond Python and an Eastern Water Dragon.

The Exotics were to be passed on to Zoos and ... Wait for it.. The natives were said to be "Released to the wild". Given this last statement is obviously incorrect I have to question the accuracy the rest of the item. I would rather suspect that the exotics would be destroyed.

Does anyone care to guess how many similar raids there will be in the next short while?

Why would they release natives to the wild, without any idea where they came from? sounds like an error. As for the exo's, the pamphlet announcing the amnesty did say they would try to place handed in animals to zoo's etc with destruction being last option.

I don't think there is a need to destroy these animals just because they aren't native however they should be dealt with in the correct manner and as for releasing the natives that is just as silly as killing something for being exotic!!! IMO

how do they pick which houses to raid, do they go randomly or what? or anyone with a licence for keeping reptiles?

Likely tipoffs from neighbours of( licensed ?)reptile keepers. "such n such has a snake! EEK!"
"call the cavalry" lol :lol:

good it's started then,that guy probably thought the amnesty was a joke to.bet he doesn't think that now.well everyone was warned.

obee

how do they pick which houses to raid

They already know who has them. What's the point of having an exotic if you can't show anyone .... word soon gets around.

How could they possibly justify/rationalise releasing natives back into the wild populations? Releasing these animals would be contributing to our wild populations the possible dangers the Exotics could do if the same was done if the collections they came from was possibly carrying something.

Re: How many raids will there be on exotics over the next mo

herptrader said:
There was mention of the $100K plus fine and or a jail sentence which I think was up to 5 months.

Try 5 years.

Hix

A bloke up north qld gets the police through his house, they find:
a small quantity of marijuana, an unlicensed rifle and a croc head (the guy had it for decades as a doorstop).
Guess which one had his lawyer worried the most!

Look at what some criminals do to get 5 years jail. I can't see the justification of what they are doing for a few snakes and lizards, our taxes should be spent chasing drug dealers and murderers. Surprisingly they would probably find more exotics this way too!!!

They had a piece about this on GWN, our local new channel. The horrible thing was they said they would release the native animals and place as many exotics as possible in zoos rather than destroy them. I hope this is not the case as the priorities seem very mixed up. The reporter mentioned they had a tip off about illegal native reptiles, rather than exotics. Those newts were very different looking animals, though!!

In my experience, either the journalist got it wrong, or a 'source' the journo used got it wrong.

It's a fairly safe bet that the natives will not be released into the wild. The red-eared slider and boas will most likely be euthanased. Don't know about the newts, to many variables there.

Hix

In NSW we don't auction the native reptile seizures off, we give them away. To be as equitable and transparent as possible we call for expressions of interest in the specific animals that are available and then do a ballot. If those who expressed an interest are lucky they get an animal or a few for free.

Jeff

How well are the natives quarantined after leaving in the same residants as exotics.
Is it full strigent.That would be my main concern if i was lucky enough to recieve a free animal.

With the exotics wouldn't a zoo be the best place for them.

Why cant they approve exotic on the condition that they have to be nuderd, so they cant reprodice or something like that

about 15 years ago you use to be able to buy newts from the pet store (in Vic), l had a few as pets carnt remeber what type they were but they were pretty cool like lizards but lived in water and out of it like frogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back