How many raids will there be on exotics over the next months

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think amazing amazon sell something similar.

We was catching them in ponds back home in Czech republic

An interesting question but at the end of the day who cares if you are doing the right thing?

If you were lucky enough to receive a free animal don't you think that it would be reasonable to have to quarantine it yourself?

africancichlidau said:
If you were lucky enough to receive a free animal don't you think that it would be reasonable to have to quarantine it yourself?

Most know that is standard proceedure africa, especially people with bigger collections. I think the concern raised there is possibility of exotic diseases, particularly IBD . Wouldnt like to get an IBD infected animal anywhere near my collection, regardless of quaranteen. (not that I have a "collection" as such, but anyone who did would be concerned. I wonder if the confiscated animals are vet checked at all before the "giveaway"?
Thats one for Jeff Hardy. Not that its nspws responsibility, so any animal from a collection that includes exotics of unknown origin, really is a "lottery"

I doubt the relevant departments confiscate animals one day and hand them out the next. The process of finding them new homes takes some months. I am sure also that the relevant departments will make every effort that the animals they hand out are as healthy as possible.

There is process here and I am sure it will be strictly followed. Perhaps Jeff could explain the process for NSW?

That said one of the outbreaks of IBD in Victoria was traced back to a zoo which had temporarily housed natives with confiscated exotics with dissasterous results. The recipient of the infected animals lost their whole collection and I think they ended up burning their enclosures as a precaution.

You cannot be to careful. If you are getting animals from an unknown or suspect source ideally you will want to quarantine them for as long as possible. You also want to control other vectors such as mites and take precautions such as washing your hands or using one of those sanitising gels between handling anything to do with each animal in your collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back