How to feed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipercat

Reaction score
It seems like such a simple thing to feed your snake but when its your first time you dont know what to expect so:

Should I just put the fuzzy on a ledge somewhere and leave it for a while and if so how long

Or should I wave it around infront of his nose until he strikes and if so how long should I persist with this

Should I feed him in the enclosure or should I take him out for feeding

My snake is a South Western Carpet Python , 4 months old , a bit snappy but calming down quite well

you can do all those things to feed him but if hes new, id just leave the food in there and let him eat it if hes hungary.

It's difficult to say what would be the best course of action when feeding this little un'. I would dangle it in front of his nose for aslong as i thought it was showing some interest, Some snakes will not react to this method either. For those i generally just leave it in it's enclosure over night.

Hope that helps.

mine either need me to wiggle it in front of their nose and they will come up and smell it
and then strike it or they are just happy with me throwing a feed in and they
will come and find it themselves

Place it near where the snake is at the time you want to feed him. If he is in a hide, place the fuzzy near the entrance of his hide. If he is perched on a branch place it under him. Others will search for the rat/mouse wherever you put, some like it to be placed infront of them.

That's a really nice looking snake by the way :D

Just a bit of advice (off the topic), you might want to get that bit of shed off the end of his tail if it hasn't come off already. Best to soak the tail tip with some warm slighty soapy water on a washer or something for a little while to aid in its removal.

Cheers :D

Thanks Moose, you beat me to it. Can't believe no one else noticed it. :(

Vipercat, as Moose mentioned, that shed has to come off. The concern isn't just for looks, but retained shed around a tail tip like that causes constriction, a bit like a rubber band on a lambs tail, and will cause the tail tip to die and fall off if it isn't removed. :(

Once you have soaked the snake in a little tepid water (start with about 30 mins soaking in just enough water to ensure the tail tip is completely immersed), gently rub the tail from just in front of the shed to the tip, to help roll the shed off. A little like a stocking. If it doesn't come easily, soak again for a little longer. Don't rub hard, when it is soaked just right, it will slip right off.

:)

See thats what makes this forum so good as a new herper I never would have even thought about the shed so early or that it was constricting anything

As for the light its not connected and will soon be removed altogether as soon as i get a ceramic base for the new lamp that is going into a different location

just keep in mind when dangling the food item in front of its nose, that if it isnt interested dont persist cause you may stress it and there is such a thing as spooking your snake so that whenever you try to feed it in this way it will refuse out of fear. it may still bite the food item offered but not to eat, rather out of defense and it may not eat it. be patient if its not interested. one trick i use is to leave the food item just outside its hide box before i go to bed. its usually gone in the morning.

Ok I have the 'how to's' but now for the 'How much??' I have an 8 mth old bredli and I fed him for hte first time today.Very cool! Initially he was alittle weary but got the hint soon after he struck. I gave him a small fuzzy rat which he ate in no time. Soon after he was looking for more. How much should a 8 mth old be getting and how often? How do youknow when they need more or even larger prey? I did do a search but cant seem to find what I need
Any advice?

I have one about the same age (its about the length of my arm).

I am currently feeding him 1 pinkie rat per week.

He is greedy and I am sure would keep eating if I let him.

Aall in all my friend be patient with the snake as it will be patient with you. You have a very forgiving type of snake but it shouldn't be too hard to get it feeding. It is all about trial and error. Remember not to try and force the snake to feed though by putting the defrosted pinky rat or mouse into the mouth of the snake. Good luck

Thanks! I wouldnt know how to force feed him even if I wanted too. I thnk he ate really well since he had a newbie in charge of catering!!
Do you think a small fuzzy rat may be too big then or should I give him two pinkies instead? Im just sorting out getting some more supplies now.

Hi vipercat , nice little snake you have there. I noticed in the first pic that you have some tape in your enclosure above the thermometer to hold the cord in place, i would advise you to remove it and any other tape you may have in their as it is a potential danger to your snake .

Cheers swampie

2 smaller feeds is often better than 1 larger feed IMO, but not for to long. If you think a fuzzie rat is to big then try him on 2 or even 3 pinky rats. If he takes 3 pinkies then next feed he should be looking at a fuzzie

Im no expert but i'm pretty sure 3 pinky rats would be a bit much for a 4 month old carpet, & if he doesn't want the next then most will refuse but you do have to be careful not to overfeed because some snakes are prone to obesity in captivity which isn't a good look :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back