How to tame a young snappy Carpet??/

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozpythons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:roll: Just a newie who has fallen under the spell of pythons.......We have a 8 Month old Carpet who hasn't been handled (just got him/her) and is snappy....Has anybody got a approach to taming this little fella????

Hi
All snakes are different and take their own time.
Fully ensure that his tank is set up correctly and he has correct heat/ hides etc. If he is happy in his home, it is the first step.
Be prepared to be bitten without flinching, If you are nervous, he will be nervous. Dare I say, use a glove if you are worried because not flinching is important. Never hesitate in picking them up, straight in a scoop them up, (this is assuming he is on the bottom of the tank under a hide - removing from a tree/branch is different) -once they are in your hand, clear the snake from the tank and don't move, allow the snake to settle for a minute or so, until he starts moving around.
Dont make fast or sudden movements and keep your hands as still as possible.
Once he is moving he should be ok to handle if you dont make sudden movements. Just let him glide, dont restrict his movement, guide him from hand to hand.
If you have gloves, remove 1 at this point and let him onto your hand, he will be nervous about it, so do it slowly over a few minutes. Remove the other one too, definitely give him bare hand experience pre handle.
When you return him to the tank, let him find the branch and glide off your hand into his enclosure.
Do this every day for him and he should settle.
Dont handle him the day you feed him or for a few days after a feed, (allow his food to digest) if you notice him heading for a shed, dont handle him until he has.
This works for me, some snakes stay snappy, (ie my jungles) but a coastal should settle down for you. Patience is the key.
Cheers
Ad

Thanks..

Thanks Ad......Your advice will be put to good use and thanks again for taking the time to reply............Cheers........

I dont handle my animal very much but just pick it up if your worried about getting bitten wear some gloves...well agree with ad

Have also been told to not over handle as they can get a bit edgy.Personally have never had that problem i take mine outside for a while or even inside on the carpet for ages and no prob's.My snappy fella's i pick them up only when i have to by grabbing their heads quickly while they are asleep.I leave them as natural as possible.Can prove to have some hairy times though when they get some size about them.But i would suggest the same as Ad 5-10 mins per day being gentle just let him slide and slowly manipulate them if need be.My Darwin is like that just don't let get the better of you.Same as a dog.They will learn you are no harm and will adapt to you.Don't be afraid of being bitten it really doesn't hurt when they are at that size.I think it is always good to bitten so you know that is not that much to worry about.
Good Luck!!!!

Looking good!

Thanks again guys.....He/she is getting a little less snappy by the handle.We took him out again today and he only had a token snap while lifting him off the floor of his enclosure(once again while moving other hand near by.).Just like AD said stay as still as possible untill he starts to move and then he is great untill spooked by our 4yr old son flying into the room at 100 miles per hour......Bugger scared me too!!lol
Anyway thanks again for everybodys advice..It all helps.....
Cheers............ :D

Heres the little fella.

Here is our little fella.....Meet Syd our first python!

P.s Does anybody know what his/her colour might do as he/she gets older? :)

Attachments

• syd.jpg
    syd.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 189
the coastal eating the mouse on the front page of this site is my coastal, and looked exactly like yours when it was a juvie, so expect it to look similar at 1 year old

this is a pic of him at 2 1/2 years old

cheers
pom
urkle1.sized.jpg

Ozpythons,
Was your snake sold to you as a "hypo?"

I have heard several cases of the so-called hypo coastal that has gained pigmentation after awhile...

WOW

:shock: WOW !!!What a change...I must say Steve that your fella is a one beautiful coastal..If Syd turns out like him/her than we'll be amazed and stoked(not that we wouldn't be anyway).

Cheers

No Mystic,He was sold as a Carpet Python.Got him from an ad from the notice board at The Reptile Barn in St Marys.

He looks exactly like my little guy who I also got from Reptile Barn in St Marys. Hey maybe they're siblings =)

When I first got mine he was very snappy, never actually bit my as such, would just kinda jab out if I got to close to his head.

Eventually he would be fine while I was handling him but would have a shot at me each time I put my hand in his enclosure to get him out.

Now he's a real sweet heart, no aggressive action at all. I tried to get him to snap at me (to show a friend what he looks like when he strikes) by waving my fingers infront of his face like I do with his food and he wouldn't take the bait =)

When I first got him I left him alone for about a week or so for him to settle into his new home after that it was pretty much just persistence and perseverance. At that size you would get a more painful bite from a puppy =)

Stevo, is that real or artificial plant mate? if real what species, how long has it been in there, is it standing up to heat?.....nice snake too, lookslike monty :)

so if yours looked brown when young what do ya recon mine will look like if he looks like yours at age 2 just darker brown?? he is only nearly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back