Howdy from Canada

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 29560

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm from west coast Canada. I got into reptiles with my first gecko about 7 years ago then my first snake (BP) was about 4 years ago. I just expanded my reptile enclosure hotel to make a new space for an arboreal and purchased a 5 year-old male Morelia bredli a couple of days ago and so ended up here looking for some more info about the Centralians. I saw a few good threads and figured I'd subscribe. I have done plenty of reading and making sure I have a good environment for the new snake, but it's my first more 'advanced' snake (having only BP and corn snake in the past) and so will always be looking to learn more about this beautiful animal.

glad to see you've come on this site, plenty to read and post questions about

also just a question because ive met a few canadians here who are suprised that we live near the ocean and we have cities and dont live in towns in the outback. one also told me he thought we rode on kangaroos, he was serious too.
what were your thoughts on australia, about how everything was here
cheers

Bredli love climbing/vertical enclosures and its my experience that they are a snake of extremes "most/99% love a basking area of 35c/95f and a cool zone of 22c/72f plus keep in mind most attain a length of 2.4meters/8ft. plus weigh 8kg/16-18lbs.....solar 17 (Baden):D

Bredli love climbing/vertical enclosures and its my experience that they are a snake of extremes "most/99% love a basking area of 35c/95f and a cool zone of 22c/72f plus keep in mind most attain a length of 2.4meters/8ft. plus weigh 8kg/16-18lbs.....solar 17 (Baden):D

great advice baden :D

also just a question because ive met a few canadians here who are suprised that we live near the ocean and we have cities and dont live in towns in the outback. one also told me he thought we rode on kangaroos, he was serious too.
cheers

What?? It sounds like you had some thick Canadians ambling about...

I live on an Island off the West Coast of Canada, so living "near" the ocean is nothing unusual to me. :)

I'm not saying this because I'm on an Aussie-centric forum and trying to kiss ***, but I'm actually a long-time fan of Australia and aussie things. It seems to have just come up coincidentally because I'm a big fan of lots of aussie racers (I'm a racing fanatic). I support Casey Stoner on the bikes, I have been cheering for Webber since he was driving pieces of crap ten years ago. I cheered for Aus in the world cup because Canada sucks too much to get there, and Aus is one of the few countries in the world I would really care to travel to and spend a lot of time in (alongside Finland and Japan, though not these days...).

I'm also a big fan of the V8 series. I like Frosty and am a fan of Russ Ingall, but my #1 driver is still Van Gisbergen the Kiwi because he races on the same online racing service as me. :D

I'm no anthropologist, bu I'm familiar with *general* knowledge.
I know who Ned Kelly is.
I know what Ayer's rock is.
I know that kangaroos are basically vermin there. I could point to Bathurst NSW on an unmarked globe.
I've seen the film The Proposition.
I know that you're one of few countries with as much of a mixed culture as ours.
Also, to mess with local people, I try to use the phrase 'fair dinkum' in conversation occasionally.

I tried to come up with an aussie-themed name for my Bredli but it was tough to come up with something punny. Slick Doohan was a top runner for a while, and then Gary (for Gary McCoy), but I think I'm going to settle on Darwin in tribute to the great evolutionary biologist.

Thanks for the numbers.

I did lots of research before I made the commitment to take in this breed of snake. I've spent four years without issues keeping the BP and want more of a challenge. As it is, my male Bredli is 5 years and basically fully grown at around or just over 5 feet and 6lbs.

I had his enclosure set up a week before I brought him home and have been tweaking the thermostat settings to achieve optimal temp ranges before I picked him up. I have him in a good sized enclosure with cross-beam perches and an overheat radiant heat panel controlled by a thermostat with a probe on the perch. I am currently running the enclosure 33C at the perch and 27C on the cool area down below where I have a cave setup. I can't really get any lower than 25-26C lows at night because that's just the ambient temperature here at this time of year and, really, any time indoors. It may go as low as 23-24 during our winter season, but I may try increasing his hot spot to 35C to see if he seems move to it more. It's still too early to tell what his preferences will be like because he's just been moved recently and I won't expect him to be acting 'at home' for a week or two yet.

Further out of the shot is where his covered hide is. It's a 4x2x2 pvc enclosure.

kJd3q.jpg

Last edited:
Btw beautiful snake, can i ask how much it costs over there ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $200 CDN for him. Young snakes cost more as most people seem to want to buy them tiny and see them grow. This guy was a father for a breeder for a few years and I think his babies were sold for $250-$400 or so? I think females cost more. The breeder only uses the same breeders for a few years and then presumably switches over to maturing hold-backs. So, I grabbed this guy and set him up in a nice luxury suite to retire from a tough career of makin' love.

I've never been to Aus before but probably will one day in the distant future. I have more immediate travel plans involving family on the Azores. I can say for damn sure that if I somehow struck it rich, I'd spend a year there and tour the country seeing all of the V8 races. :D

Wow, even my regional motorcyclist internet forum doesn't derail introductory threads this badly, and we're pretty good at derailing stuff. ;)

I think in general most Canadians dislike being assumed to be Americans because the American government (not the people) have given them a controversial reputation around the world. Lots of Canadians try to be overtly Canadian when travelling to make sure people know the difference. :)

I have a lot of really good friends who are American. Most of the dispute between Canadians and our neighbours are regarding political and cultural issues (foreign affairs, religious attitudes, drug enforcement attitudes).

cheers

Since I moved here 5 1/2 years ago (Go Canucks, way to choke in game 7 ya rat bastiches!), I've driven from one end of this country to the other and have yet to find "The Bush". Can you guys give me a hint as to where it is? Genera and rough description should help. :D

Since I moved here 5 1/2 years ago (Go Canucks, way to choke in game 7 ya rat bastiches!), I've driven from one end of this country to the other and have yet to find "The Bush". Can you guys give me a hint as to where it is? Genera and rough description should help. :D

Just keep going north, Simple
icon12.gif

welcome, nice enclosure you have there, hope ya get a kick outta this forum......

:D welcome...I am also from Canada, grew up in Manitoba, although lived in B.C. from 1976 to 1987. Our 3 children were born in Chilliwack, B.C., lived most of my time in Harrison Hot Springs. Lovely place. I camped on Vanc Island many yrs ago...
I have a VERY good friend that lives on Vancouver Island, rellies who live on Gabriola Island. Married an aussie 15yrs ago...I am one of the lucky ones who was able to move down under! ;) I became an aussie citizen 6 yrs ago. :D

welcome =] always fun to have non aussies on here. Its cool to see the exotics!

ive only been to canada once but it was amazing! just went boarding in whistler and dog sledding in white horse =] was only -30...

Spent the last 6 months working at Hemlock Valley (BC, just outside Chilliwack).
Beautiful country but didn't see much of the herp culture unfortunately.

Welcome to the forum, and well done on the knowledge, more than most aussies!
Bredli looks like a beauty too, nice purchase.

It's funny because your location is 'behind the bushes' haha. I was in Canada about a year ago and loved it, everyone's nice, the foods good and we found an awesome restuarant (something Tuscany I think, it was an Italian restaurant). I went a cruise and met an American that was fascinated by our schooling system, where we live and the fact that our money wasn't paper. I have a couple other stories, but yeah.... Nice Bredli, can you get a full enclosure pic? Does 'BP' stand for Ball Python? And welcome :)

It's funny because your location is 'behind the bushes' haha.

lol beat me to it
anyway welcome to the forum, very nice python you got there
going by his description of "basic" snakes, probably Ball python rather than sumthin like blood pythons :D

nice place, got some cousins in vancouver & some of my dad's friends live around there, really really nice although absolutely freezing esp. in winter
went for a picnic once in a mountain area, saw a squirrel running around some logs while eating smoked salmon sandwiches... darn i'm hungry now :p

p.s. do not feed the trolls

Last edited:
It's funny because your location is 'behind the bushes' haha. I was in Canada about a year ago and loved it, everyone's nice, the foods good and we found an awesome restuarant (something Tuscany I think, it was an Italian restaurant). I went a cruise and met an American that was fascinated by our schooling system, where we live and the fact that our money wasn't paper. I have a couple other stories, but yeah.... Nice Bredli, can you get a full enclosure pic? Does 'BP' stand for Ball Python? And welcome :)

As Kenny posited, the BP is my ball python (Cleo) who was the first snake and the one that started the reptile addiction. :D I don't find ball pythons particularly interesting these days as they're massively overbred and pretty run-of-the-mill, but I still love Cleo like a family dog. She was the first snake and is extremely docile. I've never been tagged before, and in four years she's only even taken maybe 2 or 3 errant snaps towards me during feeding at all. I also have a black corn snake named Pepe and he's even more tame than Cleo, it's like he doesn't even realize he's a snake at all. He eats his hoppers from a plate like any domestic pet would eat. He's never so much as opened his mouth in the direction of a person. He's great.

Here are some more photos as requested. The whole enclosure stack with a close-up of the Bredli. I replaced his cave and bowl with larger plastic ones. The natural looking ones were cool and all, but he's just a bit too girthy for them, so I'm starting to settle for practical cage items instead of demanding naturalistic looking ones as well (it's getting too hard and too expensive to find bigger items).

I also included a photo of Cleo. The three empty enclosures have leopard gecko residents but those critters haven't been moved from their old tanks yet because we need to change the light fixtures in these cages first. They create too much heat in the smaller cages.

OsNqZ.jpg

rPP2W.jpg

CuxGA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back