Huge Dog dilemma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noongato

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, i believe i jinxed myself about dogs being taken to the pound blah blah, on the 'is keeping snakes as pet cruel' thread, Because i woke up this morning to find my boys gone. They are border collie x and a purebred bull terrier, about 4 yrs.
I completely freaked out as there is no way our dogs can get out of the yard, we have 6 foot solid fencing all round. And the other day a friend observed some guys getting out of a car and walking to our fenceline, we are in the midle of a park so i didnt think twice, but now im wondering if those guys had stolen my dogs.
Anyhue i rang the RSPCA and found that they had them there, i was sooooo relieved. There fully registered so no problems picking them up, besides the $43 release fee each. Or so i thought.....

Apparently they were found on the opposite side of town in the railway station, and had gotten themselves into a dog fight with another persons dog.
He tried splitting it up and evidently got his hand bitten by my bull terrier tony.
Tony is one of those dogs that would never hurt a soul, so this was a huge blow.
Im terrified as now i will have to go through court crap to ge able to keep my dogs. I could just sign them over but that is NOT a option....
I dont know what is going to happen, i have been quoted $1500 in fines and possibly require caging them permanently, unless i appeal - which i will.

Has anyone ever had a problem same as this? And what was the outcome? My dogs are not vicious, and im talking about a bull terrier not a pit bull, so no throwing the vicious breed comments at me. Bull terriers are family dogs and are well trusted around small children.

fight it all the way and start doing lots of training with your dogs so you can help prove they are good dogs and i would report the people ur friend saw to the cops and say you believe they r the ones letting dogs out

Oh im gonna fight it.
I have no way to proove those guys stole them, he didnt get a good look, and like i said, im on a park so hundreds of people have walked around my house.
I will leave it for a little bit and sit here and observe the dogs like a hawk, perhaps they know a way out that i havnt found....

spewin mate, hope everything works out for the good.

best way to find out if your dogs can escape is, go outside of your yard and yell "C'mon, lets go for a walk" or "A drive in the car", whatever gets your dogs attention and see if they can get out to you. :lol:

my sister was in a very bad relationship so moved back home with her blue staff who was 16 weeks. My mum already had 2 dogs so we put up fencing to keep them seperate mothers day mum, dad and the rest of the family had a 50th birthday on the other side of town and the ex knew about it that morning we got home and 2 of the dogs were gone. The staff adn mums pug the other dog was kicked in the head and is missing 2 teeth, we rang all the councils and punds put flyers up and nothing we got told we would never see the staff again being a blue and worth a bit of money. The people that took the dogs went through 3 fences and 2 padlocks. Six weeks later nothing my sister feeling bad about my parents looking there dog so bought them a black pug, we found out last week the pug was found hit by a car and now need ops to take his leg of and all over 3000.00 in vet bills. this has been very hard for my parents and sisters who still live at home. I feel for you and what you are going through but it is a reminder that we can not trust people at all and thats sad.

There chained up at the moment cos it is raining real hard out there, i will do that tomorrow if the weather clears a bit. I have my suspicions about the side fence though as it is wood and I noticed earlier it has some woot rot.
It seems to be intact, but im not taking chances. The weather has been quite wet here so maybe its caused the fence to break somewhere.
My yard is split in 2 where theres the frount yard and the back, there out the back with the secure tall fence and the frount also has a pretty high fence, but i generally dont close the gate behide the car.
It is most probably the wooden fence, therefore it is most likely my fault. I just dont understand why they wouldnt have harrassed the rabbits and rats and stuff in the fround yard, they love tormenting little critters. (They dont deliberately kill them though)

You have to remember that they're animals. My beautiful, friendly, never-hurt-a-fly Golden Retreiver Henry got into a fight with a Boxer when he escaped and the other dog apparently had quite bad injuries (I didn't see the other dog). When the owner of the other dog came to me I was like 'Er.. that can't have been Henry, he would never do that'. I talked to a neighbour who saw the fight happen, and my dog was not only in a fight with the Boxer, but he attacked it!

Good luck, sounds like a bit of a mess :(

I wouldnt doubt they got themselves into the mess, they havnt been socialized with many other dogs. I just hope the guy that got bitten doesnt make out like he is a evil brute of a dog.
Chances are i probably know the guy that got bitten, if only they would give me his number or something. Ill ring and ask for it again tomorrow.

BTW - I have a scar on my scalp from a labrador, so i understand. But i kept that secret to myself so the dog didnt get put down.

That is really sad. Especially when there are people out there who DO steal dogs! The only suggestion i can make is make sure the fence is ok. Padlock any openings. Since you don't have neighbours it is hard to get them to watch out for you. We had problems with our dogs digging out at our new place. We were lucky in that they both have ID tags and we were called before they got to the pound. Failing that if it is the dogs getting out invest in a Pet Safe fence. Costs around $500 (expensive I know) but they only take about 2 weeks to train and our dogs have not dug out since. As for the court - good luck - maybe get your vet's opinion about your dogs temprament. No one knows what happened out there with the other dog - he may have started it or the guy may have hot your dog. Good luck

Dunno, I know for a fact that they dont dig or jump, and i can promise that. As i have always disencouraged that behaviour. At our last house though, tony used to get a good run-up and simply plough himself through the flimsy farm fencing and play with the cows. Which was quite annoying cos the cows got quite fond of the dogs and forced their way into our backyard and relax with them.
This fencing on the other hand is that really thich metal wire fencing, like the security stuff, concrete at the bottom. Only for the wood fence on the side. Thats why im thinking the wood one is where they got out if they did escape on their own.....

Staffies can jump very high, higher than you would expect, was the other guys dog on a lead?
anyone knows you dont put your hands into break up a dog fight or you will get bit.
Staffies dont normally go looking for a fight but if provoked they will finish one.

I have known a lot of dogs that just love people and would never attack a person...but another dog..it is a different story.

I think the other guys dog was on a lead. And i cant doubt they didnt start it, cos they probably did. But they didnt target the man who owned the dog, but chances are considering the breed and no-one seems to be able to distinguish 1 breed from another, he will probably cry 'dangerous dog'
I really hope he doesnt, but the councellor/ranger said his hand was a mess, and so was his dog.
I so wish i had his number to make sure his dog is ok.

anyone knows you dont put your hands into break up a dog fight or you will get bit..

Damn straight!

Sounds like your in for a rough ride. I have 3 dogs, two staffie x pit bulls and when we moved they escaped from the new yard. Now my dogs are very people friendly but dont really like other dogs. it was a stressfull few hours i can tell you!

Hope it all works out for ya

I bet the guy is a rich snooty guy with his poodle or something, he will kill me if he sues. Im too poor.

Although bullys are great family dogs you have to remember they were originally bred to be a fighting dog so once they get in to a fight, even though they may not have started it instinct takes over. And no i'm not throwing vicious dog breed comments at you i'm just stating the facts. I love bull terriers and have had them for over 15 years, they are the only dog i'll keep. I have been through a few similar situations with my dogs so i know how you feel, they can be worse than kids sometimes.
You will have to keep an eye on your boy now as once they start fighting it can be a hard thing to stop unfortunately. Its a bugger that he bit a person as that can really go against you in court. I hope everything works out for you though and you don't lose your boy.

Midnight i feel very bad for you - am sorry to hear the news. I have dealt with these sort of cases a bit while working with one of the animal welfare organisations in SA (we had to hold these so called viscious dogs for the council). I am unsure of the legalities in your state and they do vary quite a bit. Unfortunately the bottom line is that your dogs were "wondering at large" which is an offense no matter what. A few things i can suggest for the best possible outcome.
1. Take your dogs to your normal vet immediately for a general health check.
2. Ask them to recommend a behaviourist (preferably somebody delta-accredited - they should know of someone if not PM me & i will be able to track one down for you) and get your dogs behaviourally assessed by this person and immediately undertake any and all training/behaviour modification recommended.
3. Rectify the cause of escape (which i know u are already doing)
4. Ask anyone and everyone who knows your dogs well to write letters/statements regarding the dogs' previous behaviour. Anyone with animal knowledge especially.
5. Immediately start looking into caging ideas so that if that is the ruling made you can get it done immediately. Remember that caging does not mean small crates. They can be half the size of your yard :)

I hope that helps a bit :) Most of these things turn out ok so try not to worry too much ok :)

Best of luck.

Corrie.

I'm sorry to hear about all this, you must be so worried. I just had a thought ...if the dogs were found at the railway station have you approached the station itself to see if you can view the video survelliance footage to see if your dogs were taken there by someone or whether they just wandered in on their own? Might be worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back