Huge Dog dilemma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There chained up at the moment cos it is raining real hard out there, i will do that tomorrow if the weather clears a bit. I have my suspicions about the side fence though as it is wood and I noticed earlier it has some woot rot.
It seems to be intact, but im not taking chances. The weather has been quite wet here so maybe its caused the fence to break somewhere.
My yard is split in 2 where theres the frount yard and the back, there out the back with the secure tall fence and the frount also has a pretty high fence, but i generally dont close the gate behide the car.
It is most probably the wooden fence, therefore it is most likely my fault. I just dont understand why they wouldnt have harrassed the rabbits and rats and stuff in the fround yard, they love tormenting little critters. (They dont deliberately kill them though)

I lived in Orange for 3yrs and there was a dog fighting ring being run by a couple of brothers, My neighbors dogs were taken.We had a beautiful dingo bullie X and a blue cattle, I'm sure the only reason my dogs weren't taken was because they lived inside.

I'm sorry to hear about all this, you must be so worried. I just had a thought ...if the dogs were found at the railway station have you approached the station itself to see if you can view the video survelliance footage to see if your dogs were taken there by someone or whether they just wandered in on their own? Might be worth a shot.

Thats a good idea. But if someone would steal them, they wouldnt take the boring old border collie as well. Ive had alot of people ask if they can borrow tony for breeding with their pit bull etc. But they get really peeved when i tell them they cant, plus he's desexed.
If they did steal tony the bully, the collie whould have gone crazy to follow, and tony would have went crazy as well to get away, so i thought maybe they wouldve dropped him cause of his wriggling and left, leaving the dogs out and free.

Also, like i said i dont doubt they attacked the other dog, im not even going to claim they wouldnt. Quite frankily i reckon they would attack any other dog that looked at them cross-eyed, plus they seem to think there indestructable when there a team together.
But they didnt hunt a person down, and im glad he didnt claim so, but who knows. Perhaps he was bitten by his own dog.

It's only natural that if you go putting yourself in between 2 dogs fighting that you are going to be bitten and that doesn't mean that your dogs are vicious. I've owned Bull Terriers in the past and they are very loving and usually have very good natures. The ones that don't have usually been trained to be that way by being mistreated by their owners.

Haha, well tony is always showing off, and prances around with a ball, he squeeks with happiness and never really barks. If he hasnt got a ball he chases his tail, but i stop him from doing that.
On the drive home from the pound he was rolling over and wriggling himself onto my parner lap, with toungue hanging out. In fact he would be the dumbest dog youve ever met.
He reminds me of Billy from 'grim adventures of billy and mandy', - stupid. Hahaa, he's so cute though
Im feeling a little better now. Relax now and lots of phonecalls tomorrow..

what moron would try to break up 2 dogs? especially big dogs like that...
he seems to be lacking common sense.as well as taking your dogs to a behaviouralist, maybe you should take the man who got bitten to a doctor to see if he has any brain injuries previous to this incident...

He sounds adorable. :)

I had this gorgeous Staffy x Red Cattle Dog called Sam and he was such a big sook. If I ever tried to cuddle my partner, he would shove himself up in between us, so he didn't miss out on a group hug ...lol If we couldn't find him, you could bet that he was in our bed and he'd be lying flat on his back, under the covers with his head on the pillow and he wouldn't even disturb the covers much. How he managed to do it, I have no idea cause he was a big dog.

what moron would try to break up 2 dogs? especially big dogs like that...
he seems to be lacking common sense.as well as taking your dogs to a behaviouralist, maybe you should take the man who got bitten to a doctor to see if he has any brain injuries previous to this incident...

Hahaha, true true. Considering he is also a Orange local its very probable

Jewly - Yeah, the bigger they get the more they are like big babies. Tony cried so much when i left the pound. But he was so happy when i came back and got him.

Ok, today i can pretty much confirm the side fence was the problem, one of the wooden planks was loose at the bottom, it doesnt look like a big enough gap for them to fit but anything is possible. I fixed the dodgy peice by replacing some of the wooden planks as theyre all weather worn. Also, i told the real estate that the fence is slowly rotting away.

hmm if your dogs were roaming at large, tried to fight another dog on lead and bit the hand of the owner then you're in a bit of trouble.

And Delta accredited .. umm yeah. Try K9 Force in Sydney to recommend someone for you, he has a website.

You can appeal but since a persons hand was allegedly involved then get ALL the information you can - witness statements, photos of the guys hand, a vet report from the guys dog, council ranger report etc to be able to put up a valid argument.

If the other dog has injuries, he has medical bills etc then you will be liable to pay them.
Fix the fence yourself and make sure they can't get out or you may not get them back at all. With the dog laws in NSW I dont think breed is going to make much difference.

Well, i secured the fence good n tight so no getting out of there again, but the collie was out this morning and got a mans small terrier dog. Didnt hurt it too bad though, but he reported it to the ranger and now i have to decide on surrendering them to the RSPCA or relocating to a out-of-town house.
So im not the greatest right now since my dogs have to go.....

Unfortunately moving out of town will not solve your problem. Out of town you have less secure fences, livestock and wildlife. Euthing is the only resposible thing to do Im sorry to say. The dog has got it in him now and it will never leave. How would you feel if was a child next time........

poor guys don't worry midnight ull get over it.That happened with my Jack-russel X maltese Bozo he got out and got in a fight and had a tear in his ear and heaps of scratches.

wow, never realised i could get so worked up over something so quickly, i was absolutely seething by the time i finished reading your post!

agree with much of what has been said already, fight it all the way and report the sods who may have released your dogs. take loads of training to prove their good and loyal family pets and fight the 'bite' case with the fact that the idiot tried to break up the fight in the first place. HULLO SELF DEFENCE ON TONY'S SIDE!??!

lucky that you actually got them back though, i would be lost without my dogs.

goodluck and stay positive!

Ok, well the family property has proper dog cages on it, so i just striked a deal with the rangers that we house them on the property for a while in cages, while we make a fully secure dog cage thats suitable for the dangerous dogs act. So they have to wear special collars, be muzzled at all times in public, blah blah blah.
Right now i have them on chains that are from bunnings (thick!) and connected with 'D' Clips and there wearing double x 2 heavy duty collars. They arnt going anywhere.

BTW, the dogs have always been around kids, they arnt aggressive at all towards people, just other dogs.

i know it is so annoying and my dog didn't even start the fight the stupid jackrussel did

You stated earlier that they attacked another dog that was on a lead.......hmmmm
You can not guarentee anything with you dogs anymore, they have proved to have a nasty streak unfortunately. Yes they are dangerous dogs and god help anything they decide to attack. Dont take the risk as it will only mean heartache in the future. I have been there done that with a dog that "wouldnt hurt a fly"....it cost me big time both financially and emotionally. I know its hard but I think euthing is the kindest and safest from all sides.

Sorry weetbix, but thats not a option. I will be spending many $$ to provide the ultimate caging requirements as i refuse to condemn my dogs for their instincts.

Hi Midnight - had to come back and see the updates re your babes. Sorry to hear that its not going too well for you. Good on you for doing what you are though :) In my experience dogs know the difference between other dogs/cats & people. Just because they have attacked other animals they will rarely attack people, unless they already had that "streak" in them. Many people do not understand the bond we can share with our animals and tell us we should euth them because thats the best thing as people are at risk. You know your dogs better than anyone and i think you are doing the most responsible thing for all concerned by getting the required caging. That said....always be careful of these dogs with kids. I have a "Staffy x" (;)) who is the most beautiful, loving, sooky dog i have ever had - but i do not trust her 100% with kids. The other thing for you to remember is that as dogs age they become less tolerent of "things" eg kids pulling tails, ears etc and they are more likely to bite as they simply don't tolerate what they once would have. Unfortunately as they have bitten once before (regardless of how or why it occurred), it now becomes an option they will consider again if they need to. Not sure if that makes sense (trying to describe years of dog behaviour knowledge in a few sentences) - please remember i'm not having a go at all. Support u and ur dogs 110% :) Best of luck.

Corrie.

"One mishap does not a vicious dog make", or something like that, good luck, I would be out of my mind if in your position! You seem to be doing all you can to avoid an unwanted end to all this, just stand your ground and be open and honest with the authorities, surely, and hopefully, justice will prevail.
Just a thought......... do you attend a regular vet that could vouch for them and their nature/behaviour? Maybe they could provide you with some sort of documentation to validate your dog's behaviour as pets and not fighters.
I wish you all the best, and a happy outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back