hungry snake? or paranoid owner?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus

Reaction score
Guys im just wondering..
how do you know when your not feeding your snake enough?

i feed my 9 month old coastel about every 10 days.. but even the night after i feed her shes in the feeding area waiting in the strike position..and if i wiggle something in her vicinity she gets psyched up and ready to eat it, im heaps tempted to feed her..

shes taking fuzzies at the moment btw.. should i stay feeding every 8 days or increase?

my 9 month oldish coastal eats small/medium sized mice, maybe try upping the feed size? i also feed once a week,

cheers
Pom

I'd increase the size of the meal slightly. She should be able to handle bigger food items than fuzzies.
Her response may be of defense rather than appetite. It's something you need to guage yourself.

Yeah definately by 9 months i'm feeding almost adult mice every 7 days, the first year and bit is a snakes peak growing period.

I would feed your 9 month old coastal about 1 adult mice every week, just judge it, if the snake looks for more and dosen't look too uncomfortable after eating the first, give it another one, maybe just a little one, like a half grown I would always give them a break of two weeks every 6-8 weeks, don't know why, just habit as I feel it gives there system chance to empty a bit more than normal , before feeding weekly again.
Neil

Hey I do that too Neil. Every two months or so, I leave them two or three weeks without a feed. Seems to help them become excellent feeders and stop fussiness.

adult mice they would eat my couzins like 3 month old ate a adult and its all good

i only got my coastal last week and he's the first snake ive ever owned but after i fed him on sunday to me he still looked hungry he is 5 months old and i fed him a pinkie. should i start feeding him larger meals??

cheers frodo

If the fatness has appeared recently just above the vent and back towards the direction of the head, then yes she's probably getting ready to crap!
WARNING!! Beware at this time not to handle without a rainmac or other protective clothing! LOL!
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back