Hunting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question here - I could ask the SSAA but it is much faster to get a response on APS I find haha.

If I get a licence in Qld, but my mates farm is in NSW.. What do I need to do to go shooting there?

Phil, if you get the answer please could you let me know. My partner's parents have property near Tenterfield so will be doing some shooting there. Mostly rabbits, foxes and cats. My licence application was lodged about a month ago, the wait is killing me.

I'll be getting a CZ Classic .22 with Leupold VX 3-9x40mm scope to start off with. Cheap rounds to practice and enough punch for rabbits, foxes etc.

Then either a 22-250 or a .243 (more than likely the .243)

philk, buy the ssaa's comprehensive guide to shooting and hunting in australia, available at your newsagent for under $10.
heaps of info, a good read.
i shoot a bruno .308 and am about to purchase a .223.
if i was starting out i would go for the .243. not that i am unhappy with what i use.
cheers

you might find the answer to your question re qld licence/ shooting in nsw at the qld weapons licencing site or the ssaa site. hope that helps.
cheers

Thanks for all the info inthegrass. I have joined that forum on AUSHunt.

Think I will go for the .243 and if I ever chase anything bigger like deer will get a .308... this is typical of me - I already have a collection in my head hahaha just like with my reptiles.

...one day..

i have owned my .22/250 for 20 years now and shot every type of feral with it very effectively.
when choosing a centrefire rifle a big consideration is the cost of the ammunition,the more practice you get the better you can shoot so something that ammo is easy to get and good price the bigger you go the more expense.
having a .22 rimfire is a must to have ,ive owned a lovely bolt action Anshutz which is a joy to use.
i have brought down anything with my .22\250 and at some good distances,i love this rifle.

shooting ferals is a contribution to conservation,you will have fun too :)

Went out for a little while last night. Didn't get anything but found some good trails and fresh poop/lays. Had a skippy in my sights but it bounded off just as i was turning the safety off, oh well it leaves more animals for next time.

You can get a licence in Qld and shoot in NSW, but you must live in Qld to get a Qld licence.
Get a 22. Put a minimum 500 rounds through it into targets.
Once you are shooting well, talk to your local gun shop. Find out the cost of ammo.
Find out what 2nd hand rifles they have.
Go hunting with someone else to work out if you really do like it.
I would happily shoot a buffalo with my 308. I'm not sure I'd use it to take down a deer though, there's be a lot of flesh damage.
I have : a Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum - used for close range shooting and taking on my kayak.
a Ruger in 308 with scope - For pigs, scrub bulls anything big or not for the plate.
a CFX air-rifle in 177 - for target practise, small birds and rabbits
a Criko 22 magnum - Goats, pigs, rabbits, anything destined for the plate.
Aya 20 gauge shotgun - For ducks, rabbits, geese. Have solids for pigs as well.

Righto. So you don't know about what grain they are?

I'm tossing up between buying another gun or just sticking with my .308 for buff.

I have a 6.5 x 55 that I use for various ferals, mostly goats though. I like it as a good all round caliber, too big for small game but perfect on goats and pigs etc. They are a cheap weapon to buy and shoot with plenty of power.

I have used my two .308s to take down plenty of buffs. I use FMJs. These penetrate the thick skin and muscle and get the job done.

Got no idea about what grain they are. Most are shot in the heart, lungs area if i can't get a head shot. My little pump action is great for a quick follow up shot if they are needed. The FMJs are great on scrub bulls and donkeys as well.

what do you do with the carcass of anything large you take down that you are not going to eat?
My understanding is if it is a feral and you aren't going to eat it, you just leave it for the scavengers. Making sure you drag it somewhere unobtrusive and away from water sources, especially when on a farm.

This seems a bit silly to me because you're just providing more food for the feral dogs and foxes, but I suppose the goannas would get a look in too!

The laws up here are that it must be moved 15m away from any roads or paths. And that is it.

My understanding is if it is a feral and you aren't going to eat it, you just leave it for the scavengers. Making sure you drag it somewhere unobtrusive and away from water sources, especially when on a farm.

This seems a bit silly to me because you're just providing more food for the feral dogs and foxes, but I suppose the goannas would get a look in too!

you come back at night to the carcass and shoot the feral animals that have been attracted to the carcass :)

you come back at night to the carcass and shoot the feral animals that have been attracted to the carcass :)

Exactly, you can also drag it around to create a scent trail to make this more effective, if you leave it near where you are camping you often can shoot stuff from your tent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back