Hunting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, you can also drag it around to create a scent trail to make this more effective, if you leave it near where you are camping you often can shoot stuff from your tent.

We just had a cattle truck overturn on one of our hunting properties nearby last week, had to put a bunch of cows down.....unfortunate, but providing some very productive hunts....

Not that I have read even 1 tenth of the replies on here, but if you decide to go with a .243 you won't have an issues (provided, as always, you get a quality gun). I use Nosler balistic tipped ammo in my Browning A-Bolt 2 composite stalker, and would happily shoot just about anything up to (not including) about buffalo with it (not that Im going to find any of them around here). Im not sure if it's been mentioned, but pay the money for a decent scope. A good quality scope can make a world of difference. And shop around for your stuff. I order my scopes from America (with the current exchange rate, even with shipping, they work out a few hundred cheaper for the same stuff than buying in Aus) and my ammo from brisbane (again, with shipping at $80 a shippment) cheaper to buy 400 extremely good cartridges in Brisbane and ship them up then buy 400 pretty rubbish ones in Townsville.

have to agree townsville gun stores kinda lack "it" i order mine from the Adelaide gunshop online i think from memory i get 20 .338 250grain rounds for $70 plus freight for Remington Core-Lokt Ammo

What's a good quality scope? I would have no idea.. how much would one expect to pay?

A shooters thread!! I am in the process of getting my gun license as well! Just waiting for them to process it... 2 months!!! *sad face*
I am looking at getting a Ruger 77/22 LR with a Leupold scope. Anyone ever shot one of these guns? Feedback?
Anyway, I want a .22 for taking down rabbits and foxes. They are a pest on my uncles farm. Foxes attack the chickens and the rabbits eat all his greens!!
I think .22 LR is the only barrel that accommodates for subsonic rounds?

With scopes you'll have to go and look through a few to find out what suites you best.

I use a Bushnell Elite 3200 (3-9x50mm) on my .204 Savage VLP and it is by far the best scope I've ever used. Cost me $600 plus mounts.

Some brands to have a look at are Tasco, Bushnell, Nikko Stirling & Leupold. I have own & used scopes from all of those brands except Tasco (but I've used a friends) & I much prefer the first three brands over a Leupold. (dollar for dollar value)

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
If you want a fast shooting hard hitting pig gun for close in action (under 100m), have a look at a Marlin .44Mag. I had a .444 marlin and in close my friends .44Mag was making minced meat of whatever he hit where mine was just punching through.

I suppose a question you could ask is what is the terrain I will be hunting in. If it is close quaters a shot gun or lever rifle with open or peep sights is great. Of if you will be shooting over long distances in open country a flat shooting .270 might be the gun for you.

These days I have a good .177 air rifle with a scope and am deadly on any toad that crosses my path out to 40mtrs.

What's a good quality scope? I would have no idea.. how much would one expect to pay?

As much as you think you can spare, some are better value but generally you get what you pay for. For around 300-400 i would suggest a cheap leupold scope with a variable low magnifaction(the one Gordo has is a good example but there are heaps of differant models). There are also a fair few you can get for around $100 or less that are pretty good, but you will notice the differance if you compare them. If you have heaps of cash you can spend over $3000 and get something much better and there are plenty in between, they are awesome compared to the cheap ones you get for $1000 or less :lol:

Ive always used nikko stirling.
Never had a problem with them so dont plan on changing to anything else.
Everyone will be different and have there fav so i'd suggest to try a few out and decide which is best for you.

well this thread has certainly put a fire under my 12yr old boy lolol...... thx guys :D looks like i will have to see what i can do eh.. maybe i should look at getting my licence back as well...i let it lapse about 17yrs ago as i wasnt using it :(

Do you guys know the regulations on hunting deer in QLD?

It seems some states have opened and closed seasons and need game permits to shoot deer... this is pretty retarded seeing as deer are ferals - why would the government work toward preventing over hunting and conservation of a feral species? Beyond me...

Some people have said these rules apply to QLD and some have said in QLD there are no rules other than it must be on private property with the land owners consent.

It seems some states have opened and closed seasons and need game permits to shoot deer... this is pretty retarded seeing as deer are ferals - why would the government work toward preventing over hunting and conservation of a feral species? Beyond me...

Money..& where's the fun if there's no feral's left to shoot?

I've know of sporting/hunting clubs who purchase deer just to let them go.

Last edited:
Scope-wise I've always used mainly the high(er) end Leupold ones, and haven't had any issues. They can be pretty exy, but as I said before, shop around. I just picked up one from america for $300 american plus $40 shipping that would have been $700 Aus plus shipping at the cheapest I could find in it Australia. The list Mr.Boyd put up is a pretty good guide, just depends on what you want. Remember that a heavy caliber gun will knock the internals around and cause a gun to lose it's zero if you get a cheap scope.

Im not really sure on the deer regulations in QLD. Im not sure there are any. To be honest, with the amount of deer where we hunt, we don't care. Want meat, shoot a deer, it's a feral animal, who gives a stuff if the population is killed off. Well, I hunt for conservation, so I don't, I guess other people may have different opions, which is fair enough. You usually want a minimum of a .243 to drop them (although I have shot more than one with much smaller guns and killed them instantly, you've just got to know your limits....). I think alot of hunting 'seaons' are mainly carried out in area's where hunting is conducted on public land, like some of the southern states. Correct me if Im wrong on that.

philk, the book i mentioned earlier in this thread covers all the state hunting regulations. ssaa's comprehensive guide to shooting and hunting in australia.
cheers

As rednut says deer arnt protected ferals in this state(unlike some backward redneck states like vic where they still introduce feral pests for 'sport'), there are lots of bamby huggers too (oh deer lol), they arnt as destructive as many other feral species and trophy hunters want to preserve them until they get big and can hold all their goofy hunting hats. Even though its legal, please dont harm the poor bambies unless you eat them or make a hat rack :lol:

When I get out there I am shooting as much as I can kill haha.. I don't subscribe to the reasoning of leaving some ferals so you can shoot them next month - that's dumb

Do you guys know the regulations on hunting deer in QLD?

Some people have said these rules apply to QLD and some have said in QLD there are no rules other than it must be on private property with the land owners consent.

why dont you consider joining the ADA? they would know. my brothers best mate is treasurer for the national office and he's the keeenest hunter i know. it amazes me how passionate hunters can be,this guy has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars going overseas just to hunt. i know he has a moose head in his trophy room as well as just about every type of deer thats ever lived, and he recently got back from mongolia with an iberian ibex.

When I get out there I am shooting as much as I can kill haha.. I don't subscribe to the reasoning of leaving some ferals so you can shoot them next month - that's dumb

Don't whinge when you have nothing left to shoot in a years time. i personally have never understood the "kill them all" mentality. cats and foxes yes but deer goats and even pigs no. i only ever wanted trophies with my bow and was quite happy to hunt for a week and pass up hundreds of animals just to get the one monster. I can still go back to any property i hunt on and expect to see a few big goats and big boars because we have not shot all the little stuff that has let them grow up and the girls keep the big boys around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back