Hunting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Try a .223. They are a bit small if you are going to take on bigger stuff like heavy pigs and up, but with the different projectiles available these days they are a pretty versatile gun with little recoil. It's inherently a pretty accurate cartridge out to about 200m, regularly use them on rabbits, cats, foxes, small pigs and even bigger stuff given a humane shot is available. Ammo is cheap, guns are accurate and cheap, and everything is readily available for them.

You can get a woos pad for your shoulder, just straps on the inside of your t-shirt. I'm a man so i don't know where to get them or how much they cost. ;)

Hmm, I've only been out pigging twice with a fella I was seeing for a while. We used dogs both times that we went out, no guns. First time I went, I tipped a 60kg boar, all by myself. Sigh. Good times. The tusks now have pride of place on my bookcase haha. Anyone else use dogs?

I also wouldn't mind getting my gun licence, but I've been lucky enough to play with a couple of rifles, and I've found that the recoil is just a little too much for me to handle haha. Any suggestions on a rifle I can start with that won't land me on my **** everytime I take a shot?

Am I the only girl following this thread btw?

sound like theres some cat haters on here :) i am too :)
just out of curiosity....what do you do with them....?????..?:shock:

Hmm, I've only been out pigging twice with a fella I was seeing for a while. We used dogs both times that we went out, no guns. First time I went, I tipped a 60kg boar, all by myself. Sigh. Good times. The tusks now have pride of place on my bookcase haha. Anyone else use dogs?

I also wouldn't mind getting my gun licence, but I've been lucky enough to play with a couple of rifles, and I've found that the recoil is just a little too much for me to handle haha. Any suggestions on a rifle I can start with that won't land me on my **** everytime I take a shot?

Am I the only girl following this thread btw?

How big were your mate's dogs? Both my dogs come from hunting parents, and both have shown strong prey drive when younger, but the mastiff x at nearly 4 years old has mostly grown out of it (except chasing roos! yikes!). The 12mth-old wolfhound x is still a "problem" at times in the suburbs of brisbane :) Her parents were huge... I remember thinking that the dog would have been the same size as my 60kg mastiff, and the bitch was even a touch bigger!! My "puppy" has tipped 40kgs, but still expecting another 12mths or more of slowing growing... She would have made a great pig dog :D They are both great family dogs, too.

Just wondering if anyone knows if its legal to hunt, kill or catch introduced duck species (without using firearms) in Qld?

sound like theres some cat haters on here :) i am too :)
just out of curiosity....what do you do with them....?????..?:shock:

.243 55 grain ballistic tip at around 4000fps works a charm, well unless you want to eat it or skin it, could take a bit of tracking to find the pieces :lol:

@ kristy_07 - I've got no idea what breed his dogs are. But he bred them all himself and he's very proud of them. Size wise, his best bitch was not much bigger then your average staffy, but her son (his next best) was at least 3x the size of her. Those were the two dogs we took out both times that I went with him, but he's got a whole crew of dogs that he uses. Best thing about his dogs is that they don't chase roos. We have so many around here that roos would end up being all you chased all night.
Attach a roo carcass to an electric fence and after about a week, none of the dogs will touch the roo haha

Damn that dinner looks delicious

Phil here's the recipe - Red wine, water, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and a little bit of honey, then baked in the oven for about 2hrs. mmm...of course seasoned with some salt and pepper...

It was the best feed I've had in along time, and the best part is my wife doesn't eat vension! LOL So between my friend and I we split 30kgs of venison.

Red wine, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and a little bit of honey, then baked in the oven for about 2hrs. mmm...of course seasoned with some salt and pepper...

It was the best feed I've had in along time, and the wife doesn't eat anything that she witness's hung in the carport, so between my friend and I we split 30kgs of venison.

Do you find wild game a bit tough? I'm yet to eat any large game i've shot, planning on trying the next buff or bull i get though.

Do you find wild game a bit tough? I'm yet to eat any large game i've shot, planning on trying the next buff or bull i get though.

None that I've eaten, it really depends on a few things: how old the beast is? how you kill it, hang it and store it? and how you cook the meat?

That was a big fallow deer stag that was in the wrong place at the right time! Nothing compared to your big game hunting up on the top end.

I always shoot head shots, this way the animal is less stressed (when they stress they tense up and the meat is no good) and we drain the blood by hanging them on the side of the vehicle, gut the beast, then if its a cold night we leave it to hang in the carport, this lets all the body heat out of the meat. Alternatively my mate has a chiller. The next day we skin it (sometimes we do this the same time as gutting, depends on the weather..lol) It can be hung in a chiller for a few more days or a week depends..This time round we just cut it up straight away & it tastes beautiful! (The chops where in the fridge for 3 days)

Usually if your worried about the meat being tough, baking it in the oven in a glass casserole dish with water and red wine, that's as soft as it will get. Pan frying it will be very tough. I've not eaten buffalo or an old bull...alot of old beef is very tuff! I've only had deer, roo, rabbit & duck. Next on the list it wild goat!

Wild goat is good Mr.Boyd we used to go hunting up at broken hill 3-4 times a year and bring home a freezer full of goat between the 3 of us. It's like the venison, it has a really strong game taste to it, but if cooked right i find it's comparable to lamb. Favourite way to cook it was roast a leg in an oven bag with rosmary, thyme and garlic, then use the juices in the pan to make the gravy, served with mashed potato, carrots, beans and a frosty beverage.

Wild goat is good Mr.Boyd we used to go hunting up at broken hill 3-4 times a year and bring home a freezer full of goat between the 3 of us. It's like the venison, it has a really strong game taste to it, but if cooked right i find it's comparable to lamb. Favourite way to cook it was roast a leg in an oven bag with rosmary, thyme and garlic, then use the juices in the pan to make the gravy, served with mashed potato, carrots, beans and a frosty beverage.

Sounds good! Gotta love the pan juice gravy's!

I quite often go hunting with my PSE stinger compound bow set to 70pound perfect for everything and when i want to hunt smaller game like rabbits all i do is notch it down to 60pound.
Sadly where i live there isn't much big game mainly feral cats foxes rabbits and the occasional dingo and when it rains we get a fair mob of goats =D

great thread i have got my license recently and looking at buying a tikka t3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back