Hunting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So smeejason any Joe Public can go out and grab a compound bow and some arrows and go and shoot animals on private land?
yes unforetunately that is correct. and idiot can get a bow and shoot a native animal and ruin it for all the other bowhunters that do the right thing

Well done Alecs. nice young boar.

No special licence and where does the worse death come from. most game i have shot with a bow has had really no idea they have been hit. i have boars and billys that will keep shagging after the shot and had deer look around then put there head back down to feed and stumble over. there is no big bang for them to react to and a razor sharp broadhead kills in seconds. found plenty of game with bullet holes in them that have healed you still have to put the bullet in the right place the same as an arrow but you can do it from a lot further away with a gun. i could not fathem shooting anything from more than 30m as it is just not fun and there is nothing like being feet from a 100kg boar when you stick him with an arrow in the boiler room. hearing those tusks clacking looking for whatever just poked him is fun up close.

Thanks mate, was gooooood to be back in the bush !!!
He was about 60-70KG''S believe it or not.
I'm 115 kg..............he had both btm hooks broken, but he's top grinders were of good size.
We were looking at a new property for Deer etc.
Worth the trip.......;)
Still love your deer and pig pic's !!!
You've shoot some pretty awesome critters, should be proud of your achievements with the Bow.
talk soon.
Aleks.

Here is one I got with a Bow......I have been a hunter for many years....rifle,bow and even a spear (got close enough but missed....3 times). Shot placement is crucial regardless of the weapon. View attachment 151535

I've worked out in the Ngukurr (roper) region a fair bit and the ammount of big game you see just from the road is astounding. Buff, bush bulls, pigs, donkeys, horses you name it, last time i was out that way i remember counting 17 buffalo of all sizes and 6 pigs in half an hour driving out of town and in a spot where i couldn't see any buff i made some buff noises and one came trotting out of the bush lol. Would love to get permission to hunt on one of the properties out that way.

If you want any advice Mags i'd be more than happy to help you out. I haven't been hunting long so i don't know many spots for big game and nearly all of the areas i have hunted and will be hunting are on Indigenous land which makes it difficult to take people along.

BTW, Kayaking on the Roper? You've got to kidding! I've seen far too many big lizards just on the crossing to even consider going in that water lol!
You can get a permit to shoot wallaby in Tassie.

The NT has a couple of hunting reserves where you can go hunting if you don't have access to private property shooting. You need a permit to hunt pigs there, but not on private property.

I didn't know that about buffalo. I actually saw one when I was kayaking on the Roper river, but I only had my 44 magnum with me and the guy I was with didn't want me to make the shot. I'm pretty sure I can get a hunting permit on an interstate firearms licence. Might have to hit you up for spots or a trip when we are there. Should be a for a week or two in early September ;)

Does anyone know if non-Australians can hold a firearms licence? I'm not a citizen, but am a resident here, was in the armed services before and would love to join my local gun club for target shooting. I've researched the QLD police website, it all says i'll be eligible to apply for a licence, but there was no questions on nationality.

Do you have a Qld drivers licence? If you are a permanent resident of Qld, you should be elligible for a firearms licence.

Gordo, we didn't see any crocs on the Roper, in fact we hardly saw any at all. We had a close encounter on the Cox river but that was it for a whole month of yakking.

It's when you can't see them that they become a problem lol, don't worry about that one sunning itself on the bank it's not hungry. The one you can't see underwater is!

I've worked at Ngukurr School a fair bit but i've always stayed at the Roper Bar and driven to the community in the morning. Some mornings we would see two or three 4m+ not-crocs sitting over the crossing trying to get a bit of morning sun. You just about had to run the over to make them move lol. I was always driving so i never got any pictures, wish i did.

shot these reptile eating oxygen theives on a mates property a couple of days ago. Used my mates .223.
IMG_9369.jpg

If you dont mind recoil buy at least a .243 or a .270 for a bit of hitting power at long distance , ive been carrying a 7 mm WSM for a while , lets you know when i goes off , its beast .

Do you have a Qld drivers licence? If you are a permanent resident of Qld, you should be elligible for a firearms licence.

Gordo, we didn't see any crocs on the Roper, in fact we hardly saw any at all. We had a close encounter on the Cox river but that was it for a whole month of yakking.

Thanks Magpie, yeah i do have a QLD driver's licence. Sorry for the late reply. I'm internet-less!

Definitely need more photos. Got my firearms licence finally so now just saving for a gun! Probably going for the Tikka T3 hunter in .243

I could put up photo's of dead rabbits until they stopped breeding, but that makes for a pretty boring thread.
P1030462.JPG

Shooting buggy. All the non-essentials have been stripped out. Like brakes :|
huntingOCT2010 020.jpg

Expensive as it is, using a .243 on rabbits does allow you to shoot them from alot further away than than a .22 rimfire does :lol:.
huntingOCT2010 022.jpg

A little something from the weekend..& last nights dinner..YUM!

279_0327.JPG
279_0338.JPG
my dinner.JPG

Last edited:
Hmm, I've only been out pigging twice with a fella I was seeing for a while. We used dogs both times that we went out, no guns. First time I went, I tipped a 60kg boar, all by myself. Sigh. Good times. The tusks now have pride of place on my bookcase haha. Anyone else use dogs?

I also wouldn't mind getting my gun licence, but I've been lucky enough to play with a couple of rifles, and I've found that the recoil is just a little too much for me to handle haha. Any suggestions on a rifle I can start with that won't land me on my **** everytime I take a shot?

Am I the only girl following this thread btw?

Depends on what you want to be shooting, my favourites are .17, .22mag , .204ruger , .243.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back