hurt hatchy beardy, pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

euphorion

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
what are a baby beardies chances of survivng with a slightly crushes skull and a broken jaw? in terms of length of time they can go without food while the jaw mends and likelyhood that the jaw will actually mend, also, any point in going to a vet? my personal opinion is that a vet wont do much, will either heal on its own or wont.

bottom jaw is bent downwards from middle and halfway allong left jaw. skull is caved in a few millimetres above right eye. injury caused by other hatchy chomping on others head.

beardy is approx three months old, was eating very well, is still active and running around. eyes are open. is small amount of blood over face and in jaw. incident occurred minutes ago.

Attachments

• end jan 2010 007.jpg
    end jan 2010 007.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 288
  • end jan 2010 008.jpg
    end jan 2010 008.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 288
looks nasty, you probably already know the answers,
seperate the animal in isolation, treat the wounds, and do your best. It can heal but you just dont know, A vet could sow the broken jaw into place and if its not feeding could be assisted. If it continues to be in pain and is a long drawn out process it may be worth assisting it to the pearly gates.
good luck, the poor little thing.

time will tell. you should proberly put something on it to stop infection... but if it isnt eating it wont last long.... ur local zoo or wildlife park will often take in or deal with hurt reptiles... good luck!

Take the crickets out as they will attempt to eat the wound
You should take him to a vet regardless, the wound should be cleaned with something to help reduce the risk of infection, also for any chance of survival it will probably need to be force fed until the wound heals, but i would not attempt this until a vet sees it first
Please take it to a vet, if they cant help it putting it to sleep is alot better than it dying a slow painful death from starvation or infection imo

Last edited:
If it has normal brain function it may be OK. Its jaw looks like it needs to be put back in line other than that keep it clean and dont feed it anything that will put pressure on the jaw.

See how it goes, if its obviously going down hill you should put an end to it, but i think it would have a chance so its worth a shot trying to save it.

This is a good example of why young beaded dragons shouldnt be housed together, even if they normally only bite off limbs or digits its a bad practice and lots of ppl do it.

yes, another hatchy that was bigger than this. was not supposed to be in the same tub as this one. enlcosures were cleaned and climbing braches were rearranged, it is assumed the hatchy that caused the damage must have climbed up the new branches and was able to leap onto the divider and into this ones tub.

I would probably flush with saline try and re align the jaw and put the little bugger into isolation , I dropped a reflected on one recently and fractured all the runs down one side they even broke the skin , I thought for sure it would die but it's kickin on fine and is te biggest of all the hatchlings I kept

thanks for the advise all, i think he deserves a chance. im pretty gutted by this. this little dude was my little darling. going to wash him down, clean him up, try to re-aline the jaw and leave him be. advice on giving him a heat gradient or a set temp? going to use toilet paper as a substrate and take out the water dish. would spraying him with water daily for his moisture to more harm than good? wont offer food for a week and see how he goes. i figure im better off trying to sort him out tonight rather than wait till tomorrow for a vet appointment and traumatise him all over again. i may not have attempted what im about to do before but i've had a fair share of experiences with tiny hatchy pythons and various nasty things, yay for vet nurse in training! sigh.

this has been the worst *insert swearword here* few months for stupid accidents that never should have happpened for me. im so sick of dealing with this kinda stuff. you know when you think you've got everything just right and then BAM oh hey the thermo failed and you nuked a bub, or hey even though you SEPERATED YOUR BEARDIE HATCHIES THEY STILL MANAGED TO ATTACK EACH OTHER

glad i've got a bottle of wine chilling in the fridge, im going to need it tonight.

you can make it liquid food, put it in a syringe and feed him that way. dont give up on the lil fella!!!

i would not spray him to much as it may keep the wound moist and hamper healing
leave him be for a week with a decent basking spot and as long as his jaw realigns you should be ok

dont worry the same week i had dropped the reflecter on mine i had killed an adult eastern beardie and i had dropped a clutch of eggs

it happens to everyone

theres no way im giving up on him, got the saline cooling on the desk beside me as i type. got my f10 out to redo his tub and got the iodine handy. can i drip the iodine on his face? will it do him any harm if he ingests any? will try liquid feed first if he shows no interest in insects, how long should i give him to heal? also, liquid food make from watered down kitten food with the calcium powder in it is what ive heard is good for bubby beardies, yes/no?

I would put it in an encolsure without clear sides to minimise any chance of it running or jumping into the sides. If it doesnt have brain damage it should be able to thermoregulate properly so i would heat it like a normal dragon, heat is very important for a good recovery, but with the weather lately you need to be careful it doesnt get cooked.

As mentioned bad luck happens to us all, no point dwelling on it, just keep going.

take it to the vet.

a jaw infection is an incredibly painful way to die for a dragon.

Do you mean betadine? it should be OK but try to apply it accurately to avoid too much getting in is mouth.

theres no way im giving up on him, got the saline cooling on the desk beside me as i type. got my f10 out to redo his tub and got the iodine handy. can i drip the iodine on his face? will it do him any harm if he ingests any? will try liquid feed first if he shows no interest in insects, how long should i give him to heal? also, liquid food make from watered down kitten food with the calcium powder in it is what ive heard is good for bubby beardies, yes/no?
Sick/ injured lizards in my experience do better with 24 heat
For liquid food get Hills AD prescription dog/cat food from your vet (like $3), its a very smooth consistency so is easy to syringe feed
you can go with just normal kitten food but the ingredients vary so much from brand to brand so its hard to say of it will be ok.
Hill AD on the other hand is perfect for recovering reptiles
Make sure you take him to a vet before you attempt to force feed, giving him fluids should be fine
Good luck

I agree with the 24/7 heating - that seemed to work for one of our little beardies recently. 32C all night with no 'cool' end in the cage was our experience.
How are you going to hold the little jaw in place, if I might ask? Jeez, my heart goes out to this little fella, and so does my partner's. That 2nd pic looks brutal... :( Does he have a name? Hope he pulls through, keep us updated.
Nic

Unfortunatly I feel that you are in a fairly unquie situation I dont think many if any people on here would have an experience quiet like yours. I have had a experience that not many other have had and all I can really suggest is to document everything that happens with your little guy. I do wish you the very best of luck and please keep us informed on his progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back