Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He probably thought the snake was a danger to the bird, and I don't blame him for killing it. This is one of those few cases where killing the snake is an option.
Yes it would probably not hurt the bird, but how would he know that? I'd think the same if there was a snake in my birdcage (not that own a bird. Or a cage :p

sounds like a G up

congratulations hubby
as

A) a cockatoo has nothing to fear from a brown snake that is actually attracted by the rodents it is going to eat that are a pest to the cocky and the cockys owner and you just removed your best pest controller completely out of lack of intelligence.
You may know how to handle these types of snakes but i know cockatoos if are nesting they will what ever they have to defend then rest from other animals. Cockatoos also have a strong bond with there owners . And defend them . My cockatoo was defending her nest also well as bitting hubby and changing at him to get him out of the cage . My male dose the samething with stranger. He even chase my hubby away if he wants one on one time me. So unless you know the behavour of all the animal around at time it dont act like you know everything.

The PEANUT GALLERY STRIKES AGAIN. Any time someone mentions the killing of a snake all the armchair experts offer their opinions on the morality and legality of such an act. I don't condone what he did but I can understand why he would feel threatened by a cornered brown. Put your local snake catchers phone numbers on the fridge so next time he won't have to risk being bitten.

No I have never hit a snake in a car.

LOL! I've never even seen a snake driving a car, or even as a passenger in the back seat actually!

SP is dead right... Browns are definitely not to be messed with, but almost all cases of bites from Brown Snakes result from people interfering with them - either trying to kill them, catch them or just stirring them up. The are normally shy and elusive creatures which will get out of you way at every opportunity if they can.

It's far easier to remove yourself from the threat of a bite than remove the snake.

Jamie

J

LOL! I've never even seen a snake driving a car, or even as a passenger in the back seat actually!

SP is dead right... Browns are definitely not to be messed with, but almost all cases of bites from Brown Snakes result from people interfering with them - either trying to kill them, catch them or just stirring them up. The are normally shy and elusive creatures which will get out of you way at every opportunity if they can.

It's far easier to remove yourself from the threat of a bite than remove the snake.

Jamie

J

But is it far easier to remove the cockatoo and then yourself? I am guessing, from the way I read it, this is the reason the snake has lost its life.

And the reason you've never seen a snake as a passenger in the back seat of the car is because they don't need to sit up and wear seat belts... And to think I believed in you Jamie... I believed in you!!!

PS - we once had a 4m scrubby as a lap passenger in the front seat of y car - but no one hit it luckily.

haha, it's near impossible to see a small snake at night whilst driving at 110km/h.... the vast majority of people who live in bushland areas that do any amount of night driving would of hit a snake (or lizard) at some point, even snakes as large as adders are near impossible to see at 60km/h even when your specifically looking for them.

haha, it's near impossible to see a small snake at night whilst driving at 110km/h.... the vast majority of people who live in bushland areas that do any amount of night driving would of hit a snake (or lizard) at some point, even snakes as large as adders are near impossible to see at 60km/h even when your specifically looking for them.

my point exactly, you cant see a piece of spaghetti moving across the road while travelling at 60-100km.

I just wonder - are you it was a eastern brown snake? They don't have much taste for birds and they like to climb, I would bet it was a Brown tree snake. They eat birds and can get very aggressive when disturbed. Not that it matters not, it's dead whatever it was.

They found that Free-ranging Brown Snakes do not usually attack people - snakes moved towards the researchers in less than 3% of the snakes studied.

Contradiction much? You just ranted about how that "completly contradicts sound scientific evidence" and then say that it happened in 3% of encounters. It does happen.

And you definitely don't wanna put your hand in with a cage defensive cockie ha! Depends on the bird but there was definitely a chance of it trying to chase the snake out, and hence a chance of it being bitten. The bird was also in danger.

sounds like a G up

congratulations hubby
as

A) a cockatoo has nothing to fear from a brown snake that is actually attracted by the rodents it is going to eat that are a pest to the cocky and the cockys owner and you just removed your best pest controller completely out of lack of intelligence.

B) the brown snake was just trying to escape and evade and what your trying to claim completly contradicts sound scientific evidence ,read this paper on brown snake behavior " Responses of free-ranging brown snakes to encounters with humans,Whitaker & Shine (1999)"
it was a study conducted Over three years the researchers tracked and studied 40 telemetered snakes, and had opportunistic encounters with non-telemetered animals, 455 times in the study area of New South Wales.
They found that Free-ranging Brown Snakes do not usually attack people - snakes moved towards the researchers in less than 3% of the snakes studied.

also read " the defensive strike of the eastern brown snake"

i handle Wild Brown snakes almost everday of my life so i see every bit of evidence of what these creatures are really like,which alot of idiots on this forum have no idea of and make remarks like "i would have killed it too" as they are so poorly educated which is sad as you think people on this forum like snakes and would know more about brown snakes than they do.

best thing you could of done was

LEAVE THE SNAKE ALONE

this keeps you safe from the snake 100%

there is a high incidence of snake bite to idiots who feel the macho need to have to kill them
they are protected wildlife,leave them be and they will go away

Mate, calm down. As stated, her hubby is not into snakes - and you're expecting him to read scientific papers? Most people on this forum and in this hobby keep pythons and other harmless reptiles. Even though they "like" snakes, most wouldn't play with browns. Get real!

I'm sure they're interested in A. The rats and mice that outdoor birdcages attract B. Water and C. Dry shelter. It's a shame that the snake was destroyed especially since chances are snakes have been in the same vicinity before without causing any harm but it's always a risk with outdoor aviaries.

Keeping a number on the fridge is the best advice i can offer aswell.

:cry:
You may know how to handle these types of snakes but i know cockatoos if are nesting they will what ever they have to defend then rest from other animals. Cockatoos also have a strong bond with there owners . And defend them . My cockatoo was defending her nest also well as bitting hubby and changing at him to get him out of the cage . My male dose the samething with stranger. He even chase my hubby away if he wants one on one time me. So unless you know the behavour of all the animal around at time it dont act like you know everything.

i have worked with and owned birdsand rescued and cared for birds including cockatoos and observe them daily so i am very aware of the behaviours
sorry to sound like a rant i would just like to see this attitude that killing snakes is so acceptable in any encounter put to death,and anyone that posts here can read of the reasons why you should give these creatures a wide birth in these situtaions as jamie pointed out a large ammount of snake bite is attributed to idiots trying to kill snakes.

your obviusly passionate about wild and where upset at the demise of the poor brown snake :cry:

just call a snake removal expert instead of reaching for the shovel :D

Contradiction much? You just ranted about how that "completly contradicts sound scientific evidence" and then say that it happened in 3% of encounters. It does happen.

And you definitely don't wanna put your hand in with a cage defensive cockie ha! Depends on the bird but there was definitely a chance of it trying to chase the snake out, and hence a chance of it being bitten. The bird was also in danger.

,in 3% of out of over 450 encounters there was a reaction that was different enough than the usual fleeing or relying on crypsis,only 1 encounter had the snake stand up and slowlely advance at the observer,and there was no one attacked and bitten in the whole study
very conclusive about the 'real' behaviuor of brown snakes,i quite fancy them,actually im going to pick one up right now :)

Mate, calm down. As stated, her hubby is not into snakes - and you're expecting him to read scientific papers? Most people on this forum and in this hobby keep pythons and other harmless reptiles. Even though they "like" snakes, most wouldn't play with browns. Get real!

yes they would play with browns so dont go near them and try to kill them,call someone who can deal with it

Last edited:
,in 3% of out of over 450 encounters there was a reaction that was different enough than the usual fleeing or relying on crypsis,only 1 encounter had the snake stand up and slowlely advance at the observer,and there was no one attacked and bitten in the whole study
very conclusive about the 'real' behaviuor of brown snakes,i quite fancy them,actually im going to pick one up right now :)

Sorry, I should clarify. I wasn't having a go. Does the paper state how many of those encounters were in a bird cage with an angry cockatoo? I'm sure none. I agree that most of the time snakes will flee given the chance. However, there will always be an occasion that they don't and a here and now action is required. They made that action, protected their livestock and nobody was injured.

a snake catcher might have helped?

If you had one next door maybe. It was a decision that had to be made fast, not spend half an hour looking up your nearest catcher, then half an hour waiting for them to get there (if they weren't already busy). Yes it may have paid off, but that waiting could have easily caused more harm than good.

Cut a small exit hole in the cage, sit back with a cuppa and allow the snake to exit, then remove the snake, if necessary. This has worked for me before in a situation where the snake was unable to escape the confines of the cage of his own accord (only it was Chooks instead of Cockies):).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back