Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks mate, i have removed maybe a dozen similar to this. all from in and around the brisbane valley region .

Thats the one! Thanks ssssmithy. Wow, i never knew they got that dark. Thank you again.

Lol Michael, it's an I.D thread :p

OK, whatever, but clearly, no one can make a positive ID from that picture and suggestions and wild guesses are of little value, certainly not of any help. But I admit - it's entertaining. Red-ink's "suggestion" is good as any. :D

Thats the one! Thanks ssssmithy. Wow, i never knew they got that dark. Thank you again.

no worries mate, im very familiar with the animals in hattonvale and black browns are common as...as are redbellys. it wouldnt of been anything else :)
glad to help!

I would suggest it to be a black brown... i have caught a couple down that way..

* Shame * didn't read all the post sorry. Already been stated.

Last edited:
how can you fully rule out an eastern brown? forgive me i have bad eyes, but that photo is hard to see any red on the flanks of the snake? lol

heres an example of a hattonvale local eastern brown snake...caught at the school.

wow thats a very black one,this is one i found from londonderry,sydney ,not as black as your one but mostly black

163825_10150104623056499_566876498_7366615_2575503_n-1.jpg

Smithy,
That is the best EBS I have seen by far. I'd definately keep them if any looking like that came up for sale.

Thanks for the share.

JD

Not uncommon in the western suburbs of Brisbane too

Attachments

• blackebs.JPG
    blackebs.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 73
i hope to breed the captive black brown i own next season, they will be up to size then. but yes they are sexy animals...i love them :) and love finding them in the wild. thanks for the kind words. photo was taken by Luke Jongens while he was up here visiting the day i caught it, im not a great photographer so thanks luke lol
heres another one caught about a year ago in a bird aviary...

cheers, smithy

Attachments

• SDC13961.JPG
    SDC13961.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 70
OK, whatever, but clearly, no one can make a positive ID from that picture and suggestions and wild guesses are of little value, certainly not of any help. But I admit - it's entertaining. Red-ink's "suggestion" is good as any. :D

They may not be able to make a 100% positive ID but they have definitely narrowed down the number of possible culprits. OP asked for opinions and opinions were given. I fail to see the problem?

I fail to see the need for wrong or unreliable ID of a potentially dangerous snake.

It's not only in this thread, you see people (who have no idea) throwing hats into the ring left right and centre. It's one thing to express an opinion of some subjective matter but identification of a reptile should be accurate, otherwise it can be misleading. It's like you buy a field guide to snakes and there is a wrong ID to a picture. Wouldn't you throw such book into a bin?

Last edited:
Okay people haha, cant we all just get alonnggg...
Either way its not as if he was going to grab it if it wasn't a potentially dangerous snake...
No harm done. A black snake with a brown head is a good description of a L/black whip which are commonly seen where "herpaderpa" lives. although that is in sunny coast and not in the lockyer valley where they aren't found :)

I fail to see the need for wrong or unreliable ID of a potentially dangerous snake.

It's not only this thread, you see people (who have no idea) throwing hats into the ring left right and centre. It's one thing to express an opinion of some subjective matter but identification of a reptile should be accurate, otherwise it can be misleading. It's like you you buy a field guide to snakes and there is a wrong ID to a picture. Wouldn't you throw such book into a bin?

You're always going to have a few really outlandish suggestions but I think the good ones outweigh the bad. If a persons approach to handling a wild snake was based on the opinions of no-name aps posters then I think they deserve to cop a bite; Darwinism at its best. The difference between this situation and your analogy is that APS isn't a field guide, its a forum.

Though I agree with you 100% that misidentification is dangerous and that some people on this forum (who have no idea) do say some pretty silly things. Sit back, have a laugh and hit that red wine you love :lol:. Obviously no offence intended Michael

No offence taken Wookie, bit early for the red but will take your advice later this evening. :D

As soon as i saw it, i knew it was venomous i knew it was not happy having me there and there was no way i was going to touch it and put my boy in danger. So i do apologise for the dodgy pic as i took it reasonibly quick just so i could leave it be, but it was just out of curiosity that i posted it for some opinions on what it was, and as i said i had no idea they got that black. So thank you to everyone again for your comments, and now i can inform my wife and daughter what to keep an eye out for.

its a good pic seeing as though you didnt go near it and it was a browny in the day, they dont tend to sit long enough especially the dark ones that are red hot ready to go! :)
I live in Minden Steve so im out your way alot, and the majority of snakes you will see are browns,rbbs, yellow faced whips, green tree snakes and carpet pythons. you get the odd red naped snake, bts and grey snake too.
smithy.

Just for the laugh, ... since a Keelback has been nominated, have we forgotten another potential candidate?

i-F3cJ4hW-M.jpg

hahah michael... i wish we got them here!! very very rare and boy have all us seqld herpers tried to find them!!

hey ned i find most of my black eastern brown in hattonvale itself...in fact 3 complete black ones in hattonvale this year lol
its either a black brown or a red belly, not a lesser black whip, to my knowledge never been one found and are quiet rare in south east qld, ipswich area.

Oh okay, all good mate! I thought they were found in the black colouration further east. Still learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back