Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see the need for wrong or unreliable ID of a potentially dangerous snake.

It's not only in this thread, you see people (who have no idea) throwing hats into the ring left right and centre. It's one thing to express an opinion of some subjective matter but identification of a reptile should be accurate, otherwise it can be misleading. It's like you buy a field guide to snakes and there is a wrong ID to a picture. Wouldn't you throw such book into a bin?

You belittle my contribution, but how have you contributed? :)

I live less than 2 hours from ipswich, its not unreasonable to think a snake common to my area may extend that far... my search suggestion, was not an ID... seems pretty clear to those who value logic lol :)

I did not belittle you contribution in particular. My comments were general, aimed at all those who thought it fit to take a stab in the dark and I have done that in good faith to elevate the quality standard of APS.
I know it's not my job but I took the liberty just like you did with your "suggestion".

All good, I hope. :D

Has anyone come up with the overall conclusion of whether its a RBBS or a Black Eastern? I know i said it could be a Black eastern, and by the looks, it definitely could be, I just thought the colour of Easterns slightly depended on the locality. As I said to Kris, I'm still learning, and just starting to focus more into Elapid's.

If we get a description of the environment and habitat, could we get a positive ID?

Steve confirmed in post #22 that it was an Eastern brown.

You can use distribution range in the elimination process but habitat is not going to help much as many snakes are incredibly variable in colour and pattern, Eastern browns, and Western browns even more so, are good example. Some species are easily to identify, others can be very hard, particularly from a photograph. There are two ways to positively identify a snake; 1/ lots and lots of experience in the field, i.e. seeing many variable individuals or 2/ have a restrained or dead specimen and key it out. The latter is always more reliable technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back