I feel like a terrible mother!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shell477

Reaction score
This morning I got up and went about my morning.

At 11, I checked on my coastal Kevin. The lid was open and he was gone!

I instantly locked the cat outside and started looking, while frantically phoning siblings to come help me. I knew there was no way he can get out of our house so that was ok, although if the cat had found him......*shudder*

So after half an hour I went into the office and happened to glance into a nook on my computer desk and there he was. (He was fine)

Now, I have never been SO ashamed, guilty and horrified in my whole life. Because:

Last night while sitting at my desk I had him with me. He curled up into the nook, out of my line of sight. I then went to bed and FORGOT I HAD HIM OUT! (presumably because he out was out of my sight)

So he had never escaped, I just hadnt put him back.

He was curled up in exactly the same spot.

I am so LUCKY. Lucky our house doesnt get cold overnight, lucky he didnt go wandering, lucky the cat didnt get him.

I feel so bad, but it was a lesson learned and one I thought was worth sharing.
Any similar experiences?

Last edited:
Very lucky indeed!!!

At least he's safe and you can rest easy at night :)

Aww don't feel too bad. It's easy to do with animals that barely do anything and make no noise. Glad to hear you got him back safe and sound though

Haha I know snakes don't really show emotions but I almost reckon he was glad to see me, his head instantly came forward to my hand...

Haha that's cool. I've had escapees before. It's funny that they never seem to go far though hey. My Bredli managed to actually break the lid on his enclosure and we found him on the shelf directly below it. I was thinking dude, if you're gonna go to the effort of escaping at least make a break for it

Haha well Im certainly glad he didnt decide to and Im sure you were too at the time!

People don't believe me when I tell this story, but anyway..

When I first got my Stimson python, he escaped from the click-clack I had him in. It wasn't a perfectly sealing Starmaid container. Instead, it was one
where there's a gap on the lip where the lid joins the container. The latches were definitely closed. He must have worked his way up there, and opened the latch from
the inside. I woke up at 3am to find him in my bed underneath the blankets crawling up my leg..

Haha he must have thought you were lovely and warm! Nice wake up call though :) *Hello, Ive come for cuddles*

Yea, he definitely was looking for warmth. What freaked me out is that he crawled about 3m from the click-clack to my bed, up the bed post, and worked his way under all the blankets.

dont mean this in a bad way but thats sooo funny thats a story id be telling for years, good that you found him though, my gecko escaped 4 weeks ago and i found him last saturday night.

Haha yeah I do see the funny side of it and have been telling people. Its just funny because I have a terribly memory and everyone I know does know this. When i finished school my 'award' title was 'memory like a goldfish'

Thats good that you found your little buddy, i imagine that they would be harder to find than a 4 foot python

Oh Darl,...don't knock yourself around your human (well I hope so) and we all have done a few things we regret in life...it's great you found him though and I know the heart drop feeling when you realise.....Maybe a cat bell might help...lol (Joking don't flame me)

This things happen mate, at least he was safe where you left him... He just had a sleep out that's all. It was nothing more than a bit of adventure for him and I bet you'd never forget him again lol.

lucky find! :p

my similar experience goes like this,..

years ago when Loki was still little (Lokis my first and favourite bredli) i got home from the pub, Loki was at the door letting me know id missed his out time and demanding he has it NOW

...so i let him out for a short cruise,...

a few hours later i woke up on the lounge in a panic, it was about 3 am, i was alone, bawling and couldnt believe my stupidity,...i searched fro 2 hours feeling pretty sure that was it,...

i walked into the kitchen and saw a nose pull back from the gap under the oven,...i waited patiently till the nose reappeared, grabbed it, the nose became an inch, the inch became 2,...he was intent on not being pulled out, i was intent on getting him out without damaging him,...AND I WON!!

the lucky thing was while i had the kitchen out and was waiting for the new one to get installed dad blocked a bunch of huge gaps to the cover where the plumbing ran down to other units,..had he not done that id never have seen him again.

that was the last time Loki got his way when i wasnt in the mood, or tired. i very rarely sit down and relax when my snakes are out now,...just incase i fall asleep again,...

yeah chris i used to lay down on the bed with him but now i dont, too many close calls of nearly falling asleep...

Everybody makes mistakes sometime

So long as we learn from the mistake everything is cool

Do not feel bad or ashamed happens all the time just remember they never go far from there enclosers some.Snakes know there safety zone sometimes they hard to find
no real harm done you found Kevin he was ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back