I need your help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonkisses

Reaction score
Hello All,

Am going to look at a diamond python on the weekend but the owner does not know the sex of it .
How can i tell the sex if i can or can only a vet tell.

Am taking him or her to the vet to get the once over before i buy him/her

What should i look for as this is my first :)

Any help would be great how can i tell if this one is ok before i take him/her to the vet?
What signs should i look for?

PK

pk,
you should seek a vet to help you sex the animal. there are a few methods but probing is the most likely and damage can occur if done incorrectly.
Generally look for how alert the snake is, tongue flicking, inquisitive etc. Get the vet to show you worming and general health care. The breeders keeping conditions are usually a good guide.
Always quarantine your new snake from your other reptiles for 4 weeks min. to help ensure it is mite-free and monitor its health while in quarantine it should eat and poop. The poop can tell a story.
good luck - diamonds are great.

Also make sure the vet is familiar with reptiles, you would be suprised at how many won't touch them.

The only external way of sexing a diamond is by it's spurs (remenance of their legs). Males are bigger than the females. However it is almost impossible to tell with a juvenile or hatchie and is not always 100% accurate.

Just thought I'd let you know. Like they say, Diamonds are girls best friend.........and a guys as well.... hehehehe

i was unsettling with my diamond python when i got her but now she is my favorite little baby in the world. my girl is 6 months old and is about 2ft 2 and half ft to 3ft i haven't messured her yet not sure if she would like me too just yet.

I reckon the trip to the vet is a great idea, if the seller is willing to let you do that before you buy it. The vet would be able to give it a once-over to make sure it's healthy too!

if the diamond is 7 mths old you will have a hard time finding the sex of the snake out. People don't like to probe diamond pythons as they stress and their reproductive organs can be damaged.

diamonds are usually popped as new borns and/or probed as a adult. wouldn't recommend getting it probed at 7mths of age. it is also too late probably for it to get popped as it's muscles will be strong and you will not get the result you desire.

i'd buy the snake if you like it regardless of sex, then its just the waiting game until the snake reaches adult stage.

the breeder sexed mine but i'm having second thoughts her tail is quite long for a 6 month old i thought females tails were meant to be short and thick. well my diamonds is long and thick.

The only external way of sexing a diamond is by it's spurs (remenance of their legs).

ive actually heard also (not too sure how valid this may be) that tail length can be a pretty good indication of sex in diamonds. after i got my diamond sexed by a vet i took him back to the place where i got him and he looked at him and said "definitely a male" based on the tail length. apparently male diamonds have a longer tail than females of the same age/size...but like i said, not too sure how true that is!

a little bite won't matter if it will allow u to actually measure the length of "ur favourite little baby."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back