I think I might have my ambitions mixed up with my capabilities

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not funny Jax i paid $8 for fitting and $8 for cord now $45 to install it and i still have to buy a light cage..... URS sell fitted light cages for under $60 :rolleyes:

1woma, get the fitted one and maybe wait to get the other one wired up, ask around, surely someone knows someone who is a licenced electrician who can wire it correctly

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont wire it yourself woma. Too many people don't realise how important simple electrical fitting off techniques are. Ie twisting wires tightly before doubling over for a better surface area connection. Or making sure the no strands are lost or knicked in the process of stripping the cable. Often people are content that their own electrical install works. Yet I've seen people's DIY wiring that didn't become a problem for years after it was done. Bad connections will build up carbon and dust until oneday you have a fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
loving the pics 1woma. I have got the background bug also and have been playing around for the last couple weeks just getting a feel for what works and what doesnt..
I will certainly put up some pics once fully completed.
Im going for a different idea, using polystyrene in along the back wall and left hand side, then making 3 types of "platforms" if you like to make 3 different mini habitats with the entire viv (my viv is BIG lol...
if you guys want some more inspiration, go onto youtube and subcribe to Beckywheeler or just search in youtube for "the alchemy vivarium" AMAZING LADY!! very talented!
Keep up the great work!
P.S I am in SA and anyone that needs some polystyrene sheets, I have a huge amount! (Work in the industry) ;)

Far out Brussel sprout i just got a quote on getting my tank wired $45 and im supplying the cord and fitting... you really r right Jax it is cheaper to get a pre wired socket!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

i wire all mine up myself but thats because ive got all the qualifications you need to be a sparky( Im not colour blind and can tell difference between red black and green) its cheap as chips that is if you eat hot chips while your doing it otherwise its free

I have been busily working on this for a few weeks, and finally got the first coat of render on yesterday, i cant wait to get coat two and some colour on there.

My intention was to try and make it look like a tree stump with the roots / vines going down..... i still mite totally remove the tree stump coz im still not sure about it. im not very artistic, this is only my second rockwall attempt, im thinking maybe i should have went for something a little easier.

i did learn some lessons last time, like taking my time, not hurrying, putting in the vents first LOL, i forgot them last time LMAO. i'll take a photo of the cabinet later..... it has doors on it so if the wall looks like CRAP when im done i'll just replace the paneling for lass lol.... if it looks ood we'll do a full lass sliding door.

like Jax says its all about illusion ....fingers crossed

looks pretty cool,how did you do it?

now some updated pictures...... coat 2 of render- still drying though

this looks really good,congrats

The painting is the thing im most worried about. i was wondering if i should do a small darker coat of render for the grout lines between the bricks???? My idea is to sort of do it in steps, grout lines, tree roots and stump.... then age it. treg lovin the paint work, when i fail miserably i'll pay you to come do mine lol
the important thing is to have had a go in the first place

hopefully it will lol- atleast you can see how its going to look lol.... i showed some family and they seem a bit perplexed

family are always a bit confused-they never understand us,how could they when we don't understand us

Nah not stone hedge LOL or even Stonehenge :p but there was talk of one a while ago with Dipcdame from here. And all the guesses are so "stone cold" it's not funny

I'd better live up to expectations it sounds like I have a painting pro to compete with, and this is my first total background, others have only been bits and pieces, and I've never been known to take the easy way out, so this current enclosure is not small. The war is on by the sounds of it, I can see this going on for years ROFL
haha this is going to be fun

LOL, I'm off to a wedding shortly so i won't be able to check up on you for a while, some off the bargains out there at the moment are amazing, I have to stop looking for a while or I'll have a shed full and no room to move:)
just like the rest of us

tree and roots dry brushed now.... still some details and moss etc to do. i found some instructions for moss that uses pva glue, sand green ink was and the some lighter green dry drushing on top... it looks good but still have to work out were to place it
this is looking really good,keep up the good work

well im finally putting on the pondtite, i managed to fit it into the budget so started on Tuesday, done 3 layers already and am going to put on atleast another one and maybe a 5th on the higher traffic areas like the ledges and roots. Im thinking about heading out to look for some fake plants today but not sure i can be bothered... have had a migrane for days, so should probably take it easy( have wondered if its the pondtite smell thats setting it off???? make sure you use it in a ventilated area guys).

After i started putting on the pondtite i realised there just isnt enough green mold on there.... hopefully i can hide that mistake with some vines and stuff wrapped around the branches, im still looking for the right branch.... mite have to take a bush walk on the weekend to find one. I did find a great tile for the basking spot though.... two tone grey looks great in there. I have the light fitting and now i just need to wire it in.... wow i didnt realise there was still so much to do. I got a quote for the glass and its going to defiantly break the budget, lucky im in no hurry to get it inhabitted, none of mine r big enough for it anyway

i'll keep you posted

yeah don't be n a hurry to popoulate,let the fumes out

LOL, the cost of a prewired one will be cheaper than a sparky, some of the prewired ones have a drop of solder over the screw but thats easily removed, just make sure you mark what wires go to which terminal, you un- wire it, feed the wire through the hole, then wire it back up.
electricity is just like water,it goes in one side and comes out the other.it's not too hard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back