I think we just found a corn snake!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow mate, it's a great looking corn snake. Take it out and have a hold before you send it off to it's death.

I dont like exotics, and the fact that people bring them hear and sell them and release them into the wild makes me very angry, but i think the DEC should take the business of exotics more humanly instead of killing them like they are so horrible creature that needs to be exterminated. Maybe they could have some kind of shelter where all exotics that are turned in can live at, and be able to find homes for them in zoos, or animal parks that are responsible enough to take care of them and make sure they arn't released into the wild and are not bred so that we dont have MORE exotics in australia. This could be like put in a contract that if the animal has been found to being bred, or released they could loose their licences to keep endangered or advanced species. Only thoughts in my head, not sure if it could actually happen but it would be a better idea than killing the animal or punishing the animal for a crime it innocently set up in. Its not the animals fault for being in the wild, it knows no different, it doesnt know that we dont want it hear, its just trying to live. If its anyone who should be punished it should be the people that brought it hear in the first place

you can choose wich one, just make it short ans sweet
estwing.jpg

or do you have lacies? they'd love to meet the corn...

I dont like exotics, and the fact that people bring them hear and sell them and release them into the wild makes me very angry, but i think the DEC should take the business of exotics more humanly instead of killing them like they are so horrible creature that needs to be exterminated. Maybe they could have some kind of shelter where all exotics that are turned in can live at, and be able to find homes for them in zoos, or animal parks that are responsible enough to take care of them and make sure they arn't released into the wild and are not bred so that we dont have MORE exotics in australia. This could be like put in a contract that if the animal has been found to being bred, or released they could loose their licences to keep endangered or advanced species. Only thoughts in my head, not sure if it could actually happen but it would be a better idea than killing the animal or punishing the animal for a crime it innocently set up in. Its not the animals fault for being in the wild, it knows no different, it doesnt know that we dont want it hear, its just trying to live. If its anyone who should be punished it should be the people that brought it hear in the first place

How on earth are they going to fund this exotic nirvana? DP/ DECC are struggling enough as it is funding wise and are obviously understaffed and unable to police their own regulations.....

Do the right thing and hand it in pronto - the longer you keep it the harder it will be and the more PM's you'll be getting from dodgy idiots trying to take it off your hands.

Everyone who says this snake doesn't belong here and should be humanely killed (if not placed in a zoo):

GOOD ON YOU!

There are over 170 invasive reptile species globally so far, they're obviously quite good at it. Think of brown tree snakes and burmese pythons, snakes can be invasive pests and displace native species, so lets keep Australian snakes safe!

It might have escaped from zoo? ... lovely snake though....

How on earth are they going to fund this exotic nirvana? DP/ DECC are struggling enough as it is funding wise and are obviously understaffed and unable to police their own regulations.....

Do the right thing and hand it in pronto - the longer you keep it the harder it will be and the more PM's you'll be getting from dodgy idiots trying to take it off your hands.

I said that it was only THOUGHTS coming from my head, i didn't actually say that it could happen only my opinion. Besides, if the DEC really wanted to get back on their feet they could do so in so many ways its not funny, but sadly they choose not too and now there licensing system has gone hay wire and now they have all these problems about people keeping animals there not supose too. Funding a exotic shelter could be possible if everyone chipped in, im sure that australia zoo and other large zoos and animal parks could be sponsers if they really cared about keeping australia clean of unwanted species. Even the government who say they dont want them here could financially support if it did some good to keep exotics out of australias eco system. In the end of the day its all about getting it together and helping each other out, if we all chip in maybe things like that could be possible in the future and the keeping of reptiles in australia would have a greater out come then what has been predicted.

duno but omg i want it!!! lol ... have you gave it in?

I said that it was only THOUGHTS coming from my head, i didn't actually say that it could happen only my opinion. Besides, if the DEC really wanted to get back on their feet they could do so in so many ways its not funny, but sadly they choose not too and now there licensing system has gone hay wire and now they have all these problems about people keeping animals there not supose too. Funding a exotic shelter could be possible if everyone chipped in, im sure that australia zoo and other large zoos and animal parks could be sponsers if they really cared about keeping australia clean of unwanted species. Even the government who say they dont want them here could financially support if it did some good to keep exotics out of australias eco system. In the end of the day its all about getting it together and helping each other out, if we all chip in maybe things like that could be possible in the future and the keeping of reptiles in australia would have a greater out come then what has been predicted.
Yeah or we can donk them on the head and put our money and energy into preserving native wildlife

Apperently the eggs of this species and the rat snakes are extremely hardy! whilst working at a reptile park I was instructed to step on any eggs found in the enclosures! they also bounce like rubber balls! even eggs that had been bounced across the floor had to be popped because if they found their way to a rubbish dump apperently they still had a good chance of hatching amongst the rubbish! I have heard of so many of these snakes being kept here in australian collections and the possible threat of becoming an extreamly invasive pest is huge! I think eaither hand it in to the authorities or the freezer, we really dont need any more pressure on our native wildlife

I dont see how killing it will accomplish anything...there are thousands of them being kept and bred in Australia.

I dont see how killing it will accomplish anything...there are thousands of them being kept and bred in Australia.

You never know it could be a grivid female (dunno when the cornies breed but it hypothetial) say it gets released to have a clutch of eggs then we have even more cornies here. Or say its a male and there is some females around it breeds with the females and then there is multiple clutches of eggs that will put even moooorrrreee ******* cornies in australias environment. They will compete with aussie species for food, therefore decematining aussie populations of native snakes. That is why you "dont just let it go"

Report that you found it, and post a 'found' add- see if someone rings up saying they lost it. If so, forward their contact details to the authorities, and let them 'inspect' the property to see if there are other exotics- chances are there will be.

Just what I'd do :D

Some reality mixed in amongst the thoughts would be nice though. Zoos and animal parks are also struggling for funds and rely on sponsorship themselves to survive - I really dont think there's much left in their piggy banks to take care of a problem (that isnt theirs) that a bunch of idiots (the smugglers) are allowing to happen. The ONLY people with money in this whole affair is the smugglers - maybe they could sponsor this nirvana you speak of......

People like Shari do nothing to help the situation.... :(

Are they at least a source of food for any of our native wildlife? Or are they completely useless?
If they get established something will eventually learn to eat them. but you could say the same about cane toads.

You could say the same about cane toads
you could say the same about cane toads

Report that you found it, and post a 'found' add- see if someone rings up saying they lost it. If so, forward their contact details to the authorities, and let them 'inspect' the property to see if there are other exotics- chances are there will be.

Just what I'd do :D

I like! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back