I want fish!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missllama

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
my partner and i want some fishies
i can either put something in a small tank that i have or a 4 ft tank
i dont want anything that needs salt, heaters or anything too hard to look after

(i had oscars once and had no luck had filters heaters etc and they all carked it not long after i got them)

can anyone reccomend some fish that wont need a heater etc?
i have a heater i just find it to hard making sure temps are perfect etc gets all to fussy for me i just want some uncomplicated fish :D

i know NOTHING about fish, so something thats good for starters

oh and also, is there any way u can house fighting fish together? like two females but no males? i no that the females kill the males or something but i wasnt sure if theres some way u can house certain ones together

cheers

how long after you set the tank up did you put the fish in to start with?

how long after you set the tank up did you put the fish in to start with?

a few days, i did heaps of research making sure the filter was running for a few days before and the water temps were right etc made sure the oscars were the same size so they didnt try to kill each other

was so upset :(

thats why i want something really baisic now

could axolotles and goldfish live in a 4ft tank together with no heater (i no axolotles sometimes need a water cooler)

and all be ok?

i just showed michael taryn lol! could axolotles live with those fishys u have?

could axolotles and goldfish live in a 4ft tank together with no heater (i no axolotles sometimes need a water cooler)

and all be ok?

The goldfish will usually nip the gills of the axolotls.
So it isnt the best idea to mix them.

oh by the way if this is any help to my questions my partner and i really like:
gold fish
axolotles
cat fish
and eels

The goldfish will usually nip the gills of the axolotls.
So it isnt the best idea to mix them.

Oh ok cheers well id be happier to leave out the goldfish then the axolotles anyway, does anyone on here keep them and use a water cooler?

Get some Tiger Barbs or Silver Dollars, cheap and hardy fish and are pretty forgiving to mistakes.

You do need a filter for them though, but they are worth it, they both look very pretty and are fun to watch, You just need a large group of the barbs (lets say about 7 minimum), and you don't need a huge tank, mine was just over 1ft and I kept them in it successfully, Tiger barbs often pick on alot of other fish, but if you get a group of about 7, they'll fight among themselves on occaison.

Silver dollars are so shiny and beautiful in the light!

Heres my tiger barbs and silver dollars happily living together: (WARNING EXTREAMELY HUGE PICCIES)

rainbow__serpent-albums-the-fish-picture6085-mega-woman-the-silver-dollar-and-some-of-my-tiger-barbs.jpg
rainbow__serpent-albums-the-fish-picture6091-the-tank-alot-of-fish-are-hiding.jpg

Most fish will nip the tips of axolotyls.

I had to move my scats away from my ciclids as the ciclids even though 1/3 of the size were being mean to them.

I have a tank with catfish ciclids silver sharks featherfins pictus all living happily together.

you need to have the water and filters runnign for a minimum of a week before adding anything inot the tank as the filter needs to build up the necessary bacteria to break down the ammonia / nitates that the fish waste producing failing this cyclign period leads to these products building up and killing your fish

oscars are extremely messy adn place a great bio load on the tank , your oscars died becasue they where introduced too early , if you wait 2 weeks leave a few little barbs or goldfish in there to cycle the tank then buy your oscars again im sure you will have better suscess in the next attempt

and to insure they live throughout water changes and filter maintenace always majke sure you clean the filter material out with a bucket of tank water as chlorine / tap water kills the beneficial bacteria needed to support life

hope this helps

i used to keep and breed fish for ages

Go for a big tank of tetras (lots of colour) including neons, cardinals, rummy nose, phantoms, serpae etc along with some cats bristlenose, corydorous.

oh wow thankyou kupper i was so upset when they died i got told by the petshop guy that they only needed 3 days, thanks for those tips atleast now i know for next time my partner said he would like some more oscars, i might consider giving it a go what u suggested

and thanks taryn, i would have been worried about the axolotles killing the fish i never new it would be the other way around

if ever you have nay questions or your local tool decides to give you suicide info again please just shoot me a pm i know way to much about fish

the problem you had with the oscars wasnt that they are hard to keep it was a mistake almost everybody makes you set up the tank then didnt give it the minimum of two weeks to cycle it doesnt matter what fish you have cold water, tropical or marien if you dont let a new tank cycle the fish will die.

fish are easy to look after and almost no effort as long as you adhere to these three guid lines

1. cycle the tank after its first set up (leave it without fish or plants for minimum of 2 weeks perferably a month)
2. quarantien always quarantien its not just for herps
3. water changes every two weeks do one.

stick to that and you can keep almost any basic freshwater fish

not at all luke 1 oscars are from the amazon and require very soft acidic water.

i also know way way way to much about fish.

(currently setting up my first reef tank)

i have a catch fish with some tiger barbs - and my big male yabbie and they all seem to get along well .
i had a big googley eyes gold fish , but the male yabbie took care of him [ate him]
i also have 65 odd guppies [ for my turle food] and 15 odd sword tails [ again for turtle food]
and yabbies [ as above for turtle food]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back