I want fish!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good choice of fish! Dont get the clown loaches!! They get really big and need to be kept in a school!

maby im thinking of the wrong thing? because the person told me these dont get big, they had like orange and black stripes sort of? i got so many names of fish yesturday that im probably confusing myself now lol i made sure they were all small fish that dont grow up to be huge and that they will all live together peacefully :)
i dont no how many snails i should get do they do alot of cleaning etc? they were pretty big snails bigger then garden snails thats for sure

thanks everyone for ur replys, lol ambah poor fishies!

i have decided to get the snails, brittlenose catfish, i forget there names but something like clown loaches? they looked cool and were in the same set up as the brittle noses, a heap of neons, male fighter, and there was these really wierd see through fish that im going to get some off i dont remember there names either lol
and all the other fish i forgot what there called :( but there was a whole heap we have chosen out that we will get over a few wks (the guy at the shop told me to get some put them in then go back a wk later get them put them in) is that neccisarry?
my partner is buying a 140L jebo tank for me from mrs i (cheers hun!) and ill cycle it etc all before i get the fish, we just went down yesturday to have a look at everything and work out what we want so we no what to get when we are finished cylcing

sorry to say but your going to have a few clashes there

snails will be eaten by about everything
the bristlenose will eat away at the loaches while they sleep (the sleep on thier sides and look like they are dead. the tetras will eat the fighter and the glass cat fisher (the wierd see through ones) will die of stress from haveing the neons and bristlnoses constant movement.

also you have fish from south east asia in with amazon fish. this isnt neccasarily a bad thing however it the loaches survie they get to be about 20cm long and will definantly eat your tetras and glass cat fish.

Lana just get 3 snails, i had 5 snails, and they layed eggs, when i turn my light off in my tank, if i turn it back on half hour later i have hundreds (slight exaggeration) of baby snails all over my tank, mind you i think the fish like to supliment their diet on baby snails too. Lol.

I have one lone cloan loach who lives fine with my other fish.

ok so if i didnt get the loaches, and didnt get the neons and tried maby just 1 or 2 snails would that be a better idea?

i also just saw someone selling these: Peppermint Bristlenose's 2.8-3cm for $20 each

is there much difference between that type and the plain sort i would have seen at the aquarium shop?

what would u suggest to put in the tank with the bristlenoses and the fighter? the place were im going has quite a bit of variety so i should be able to pick up most things

are the loaches the thick striped ones? because the loaches were in the same tank as the bristlenoses i thought maby im thinking of something els?

woops i googled it and worked it out this was what i was talking about
clown_loach-11.jpg

so its best not to house them with the bristlenoses?
if i can work out 2 good combos ill just set up both of my tanks then so i can still get a variety

imo the most stunning tank is a congo/amazon basin mix tank.

2x apistiograma ramrezi (females have pink on thier belly)

20x neon tetras

20 x glowlight tetras

4x bristnoses

4x bronze corydoras

4x peppered corydoras\

2 x albino corydoras

4x kuhli loaches (these are an south east asian fish but will flourish in this tank and add yellows and blacks to the colour specturm of your tank)

that amount of fish will fit in a 140 liter tank perfectly and cohabitate without any trouble

also the colours compliment each other perfectly.

this is also a very low maintainance tank with hardy fish that will mostly tolerate most of your newbie mistakes and is made up of fish that all cost less than $10 you can buy all these fish for under $250 from any reputable dealer as they are always avilable.

none have special feeding requirements except the bristlenose wich only needs you to put a bit of aquairum wood in there.

just a word of warning the colours displayed in this kind of tank can lead to eye damage due to extream brightness and should only be veiwed through gold plated visors :p

seriously tho it does hurt your eyes first thing in the morning.

this is just my opinion tho its really up to you

fighters need to be housed really only with other female fighters or kept alone sure they are tough as far as two males goes but most other fish will tear them apart they are really big pussycats

if youd like a suggestion on substrate to best compliment the colours or plants and types of rock and stuff like that pm me and i'll send you info and piccies. setting up a tank is like interior desgining everything should compliment everything else. unlike interior designing however certain things can never go together or in the tank for example never put and white rock in an amazon or south east asian tank and it will raise your ph and gh and kill your fish same with shell grit substrate

In my tank (about 6 foot long) I have Neons, Cardinals, Kolhi Loaches (like eels, stripy and SO much fun, but eat snails- I don't have many Gold Spot snails left), 2 Female fighters(old age got them a month ago), Glass Catfish, Bristle nose catfish- black and albino, snails.

I have been told that Goldfish will try and eat any other fish in their enclosure... So they might be out of the question. My Tetras are VERY forgiving, and at the moment I am not running a heater OR a Fitler as I thought I got zapped the other day when I was fishing pond snails out of my water, so EVERYTHING got turned off. That was 2 weeks ago, and yes it is getting fixed this week. Isolation will tell me the answer, but I need a small body to climb under the tank to play 'one at a time' games with the different plugs!!

thanks hooglabah, i am going to give the aquarium a call now and find out about the list of fish u just gave me, i would LOVE a list of plants etc and info on them i was going to ask about that because i dont no much about plants

peppermint bristlnoses are very hard to keep and imo dont look all that differant to normal bn's exept the spots and smaller and brighter and they dont have bristles

zebras are stunning but really only avilible if you have a spare 200 - 300 bucks lying around.

are the zebras hard to look after tho? ill google a pic of them now anything i can get that will get along ok and arnt too hard to keep i will be looking at buying, i dont want to over populate my tank but i dont want it to be under populated, so i will keep everyone updated and keep asking questions and ill give those peppermints a miss then if there hard to keep i dont want anything thats going to be too hard

ive always like tropical tanks...currently all i have is a 4 inch flowerhorn in a 6 foot tank......awesome fish.....

I had goldfish in a small tank with no heater when I lived in Canberra... I came back after a weekend trip during winter to find a 5mm thick layer of ice on the top of the water and a pair of goldfish going thru their small scale ice age

trust me miss l you dont want a flower horn super agressive african cichlid stunning fish but a solo inhabitant.

yea i dont want something that gets that big but i would love to see what they look like lol for some reason i pictured that big scary fish from finding nemo with that thing sticking out of his head LMAO

i only want small fish for the tank were getting

do u have any pics of ur setups u can post hooglabah? and thanks heaps for all ur help mate!

im just looking at ph kits online aswel right now, is there anything to avoid or cant i go wrong with them?

i'll post some pics of the tanks my step dad has setup using stuff i got rid of lol they are in serious need of some maintance and 1 has two fish in it and one has nothing as my pindani died last week :,( he was my favorite

oh what the hell ima THERE HUGE lol there uglier then they are as babies aswel LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back