Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A guy posted this pic on BD.org, trying to find out which species this little lizard is. His friends rescued it from the wild (in South Australia, if that helps) about 18 months ago. It is 3 inches total length, and has not grown since they've had it. Any idea what it could be..?

midget1.jpg

Whatever it is, it's not a baby. They've had it for 18 months, apparently.

I don't even know the guy, I'm just trying to help him find out what it is. He posted it on an American beardie forum but I figured he'd have better luck from Aussie herpers.

Thanks guys. Would the earless dragon be found in South Australia?

accroding to this.. http://users.erols.com/ziring/dragon-species.html ASSUMING ITS A SPECIES OF BEARDED DRAGON

it could be either "Nullabor/Nullarbor Bearded Dragon, Pogona nullabor" http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/article_pics/NullarborBeardedDragon.jpg

Pogona Nullabor: The Nullabor bearded dragon is another rather rare species, found only in a small strip of southern Western and South Australia. It is easily distinguished by large white stripes along its back and pronounced spines on its side. P. nullabor is almost never found as a pet, due to its resistance to breeding in captivity and relative rarity in the wild.

This medium-sized species of bearded dragon lives in a small area in south-central Australia. On the coast, it is known to live on steep cliffs and in caves. This species has distinctive white bands on its back and 3-7 rows of spines along the sides of its body. Adults of P. nullabor reach about 6 inches snout-vent length. This species is not found in the pet trade.

OR

Dwarf Bearded Dragon, Pogona minor (to which it doesnt really look like.. ) http://www.wildherps.com/images/herps/standard/051111146PD_dwarf_beardie.jpg

The Dwarf Bearded Dragon lives all over western and central Australia. It is one of the smaller Pogona species, reaching about 6 in snout-vent at adult size. Found in a wide variety of habitats, including forest and desert, the drawf bearded dragon can be distinguished from the otherwise similar Western bearded dragon by its shorter limbs and tail. These dragons are known to hide during the hottest part of the day to avoid overheating; of course, all dragons do that. This species is not available in the pet trade.

EDIT: next post gives some good options too..

hope this helps..

Last edited:
then again this guy looks remarkably similar..

the long tailed earless dragon.. http://incp.environment.act.gov.au/images/03-Tympo-photo.jpg http://amonline.net.au/Herpetology/images/fieldwork/stuart_016.jpg

not sure but this looks a little promissing..

DISTRIBUTION

The species is distributed in rocky, arid regions of the central portion of Western Australia and across the southern Northern Territory, with isolated populations in western Queensland.

depending on were exsactly in south aus he found him its possible.. (southern NT upper South Aus?? )

Dragon I.D.

It looks like a Western Heath Dragon. Species Rankinia adelaidenis, subspecies chapmani. If it was found on the Yorke Peninsular or west of the Yorke Peninsular along the coastal strip all the way to the WA border, then this would be my guess. Otherwise definately a species of Tympanocryptis. There are several species of the Genus Tympanocryptis found in S.A. including the Nullabor earless dragon species Houstoni. This dragon has a range very similar to the Western Heath Dragon. In the far North of the state are the species cephalus, (the pebble mimicking or blotch tailed earless dragon) and centralis (the Centralian earless dragon). The animal in this thread does not look like either of these species so I would rule these two out. The other 3 species of Tympanocryptis found in S.A. are tetraporophora (the long tailed earless dragon) tail is too short in the photo to be this species, intima (the smooth snouted earless dragon) head scales on the animal in the photo are very pronounced so I doubt it is this species and finally, lineata (the lined earless dragon) maybe but I dont think so.

Still think it is either a Western Heath Dragon or a Nullabor Earless Dragon. Could the person who posted this thread send me a PM with their contact details so I can contact them to discuss further. I have a strong interest in small dragon species and would like to follow up this thread please

just because its tail is short doesnt mean it wasnt bitten off.. it has very similar patterns and head shape to the long tailed earless dragon, thats my bet..

Id say its not fully grown, the lack of growth is probably due to incorrect housing conditions or not enough food being provided.

Id say its not fully grown, the lack of growth is probably due to incorrect housing conditions or not enough food being provided.
Bulging eyes, triangular tail and loose skin. My guess would would be the same from that pic

its is either Rankinia or tympanocryptis..more info please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back