Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so we got a few on inland?fierce...a majority on western and 2 on ingrams......anymore takers?

G'day guys,

One thing that's been getting my goat a little on APS recently is the amount of people responding to these identification threads with incorrect answers. I am all for people learning and discussing topics, but for threads like these that are based on fact rather than opinions, it would be great if people who don't know what the answer is to not muddy them up.

Perfect example - I couldn't 100% ID either species, despite being requested to both in this thread and via PM by a few different people, so I didn't respond.

well your opinion still couldve been warrented you just couldve said that ...our answers are only our opinions overall...in a nutshell everyone even though different opinions still knew it was just that ...no one has quoted %100 ID ...and as far as the pm goes you couldve just sent one back that you were not %100 sure so you choose not to answer ...no big deal

G'day redbelly,

That post wasn't directed at you...and a few other people PM'd me too. It was just a general observation that many others have picked up on as well...how many of these threads have had references to Keelbacks? A general agreeance of opinions doesn't make them right. Opinions are great in threads on setting up Bearded Dragon enclosures, but there's no place for them in identification threads...unless you are 100% certain that you know what it is, sit back and learn like I just did, especially where large elapids are concerned.

I have little doubt that jamgo has got it right - he's had more experience with Pseudonaja than I have.

well I agree about the Keel back answers...as we all knew that not to be the case ,and a newbie may not know the APS joke ..but when it comes to ID ing everyone throws something out there ,two species over all have been named ,as these species quiet often get confused , have done it myself,am not ashamed that I made that mistake either,as I learnt from it.over all we were hoping that some on here that have more of a elapid experience, give their opinions as to what it could be , I said why I thought ,doesnt mean I was right ,then Jamgo explained more in depth as to why he was leaning towards the same species, still got other opinions , and I suppose alot were wondering what your opinion was to Jonno .still would be good to have other views from other keepers/ dealers with vens..as we all may learn something :)and this is no disrespect to you J.

G'day guys,

One thing that's been getting my goat a little on APS recently is the amount of people responding to these identification threads with incorrect answers. I am all for people learning and discussing topics, but for threads like these that are based on fact rather than opinions, it would be great if people who don't know what the answer is to not muddy them up.

Perfect example - I couldn't 100% ID either species, despite being requested to both in this thread and via PM by a few different people, so I didn't respond.

I dont really see any harm in ppl having a go at IDing stuff as long as they dont say its definately something that it isnt. If i posted an ID thread i would be quite interested in what ppl thought even if they said they wernt 100% sure. To me they both look like browns, i dont know enough to pick the right species but im fairly confident about the genus and i suspected that the genus may have been part of what they were unsure about.

Maybe a better way is to give reason why you think what it is...instead of just eastern brown etc
then people might learn something and might give better opinions in the future.
So my question to the people who said western brown for the top one is...... why do you think western brown?

i said brown,,, got tiped off by the pinkish spots on the under belly of the top one...

and the bottom one.. was ther nose scale / shape looked really fimilar

with out the knowledge of where they were found i was unsure as to western or eastern... but i did suspect both were browns.

thanks Moose....but not my pics...just screen shots from a pdf she sent me.....I'm sure the actual images are much better!....I haven't taken any shots for a bit but look forward to trying over the next few days...stay tuned!

Saratoga,

For starters I would suggest can we get scale counts or more photo's of these snakes???

First one I am not sure (Leaning towards the ingrami complex) the second is P. textilis (looks like a Gold Coast Snake to me).

Jonno, I agree people who "know what it is" eg the Inland and Coastal Taipan examples need to stop, unless you know what it is then don't throw your hat in the ring...I have lost count on the amount of corrections to id's I put on this site.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back