Ideal Water Bowl Size for Bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fqwxs

Reaction score
What is an ideal size of water bowl for my 12 month old bredli?

Dimensions (height x diameter)?

Cam

l would say either one of these 2 water bowls would be ideal to use in and enclosure with Centralian and Murray Darling Carpet Python's, they a available at Bunnings hardware go to the garden section to see what they have available.

Remember to keep it at the cool end of the enclosure or the water will evaporate to fast, they do need access to some humidity inside their enclosure but not to high.

ln the wild where these 2 Carpet Python's both come from natually,they live along rivers systems and deep inside a hollow gum tree, as the sun reflects on the water during the day it can get quite humid in those areas.

The Cetralian Carpet Python is found along Todd-Ross-Finks Rivers and throughout the MacDonald Ranges, it lives most of the time in hollow trees or deep rock crevises,the Murray Darling Carpet Python is found along the Murray or Darling River, hiding in deep hollow trees, in Central and Northwestern Victoria, and Northeastern South Australia, and Western New South Wales and South Western Queensland.

it can be very hot and dry in these areas but remember along these river systems it can still get quite humid during the day, when the hot sun reflects of the water, and the trees have alot of humidity inside them where the Carpet Python's both hide and rest most of the time.

Last edited:
M. bredli occurs in both trees and rock outcrops, far away from water and continually exposed to dry desert air, and they are not adapted to humid environments. A bowl that the snake can squeeze into without displacing all the water is a fair size.

my bredlis

hi buddy IMO the water bowl shouldnt be to big for these guys as most time a big bowl will give to much humidity i use lil 200ml containers bought from coles got a pack of 3 for $6 does the trick for me

And keep the water bowl at the cool end of the cage to prevent humidity.

A bit more, for clarity, so that my private message box suffers no more abuse:

I found my very first wild M. bredli in 1991 along the Todd River, which was bone dry. All the others I have found have been in dry conditions. The arid watercourses along which vegetation occurs, which the pythons utilise for shelters, are usually bone dry. The reason for them living around water bodies is the comparative abundance of resources, however M. bredli selects its habitat based on it's thermal ecology first and foremost. The cool stable temperatures in gorges and tree hollows provide thermal retreats from the desert heat. On a side note, humidity in an arid creekline (which are usually dry) is usually not significantly different to the surrounding ambient conditions, although water availability is higher.

I have a bowl they could fit in and 1/3 fill it, but I have never seen mine actually sit in them. My two aren't full grown yet though. I have seen them accidently fall in the water, or dunk their heads sometimes, but I don't really see them being much of a swimmer. They do use it to drink every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back