Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joughin

Reaction score
iwas thinking of gettin a white lipped snake what do you guys reckon as one of these for a first snake ? also when they bite i heard it swells and hurts right but how mcu hdoes i actually hurt and where do they like to "hang" does anyone know what kind of areas ?

I admire your enthusiasm, Joughin, but forget it mate!

go and catch one and attach it to your finger jouqhin,it dosnt hurt much,just try not to hurt the snake and make sure ur near help in case you have an allergic reaction,,have fun :)

I hate to say this although i think you should just forget the snake thing, none are really good starter snakes. Why not get a bluey or a heath dragon?

I admire your enthusiasm, Joughin, but forget it mate!

I hate to say this although i think you should just forget the snake thing, none are really good starter snakes. Why not get a bluey or a heath dragon?

Couldn't have said these better myself :)

why shouldnt i get one ???? well i want a snake and wll thats really my only choice and they are legal in tasmania also heath dragons are supposedly to scatty to be good pets and i have had like 5 blueys allready

i wouldent agree with no snakes being a good starter herp as some have such ease of keeping attatched to them

but certainly no elapids are fit for a 1st snake i said it b4 and ill say it again jon

a) get your licence
b) if you want a snake stay away from elapids dont capture ur reptiles and buy a spotted python or sum such thing ither that or take the other rout n get yourself afew blueys or beardies

also said 13 year old + venom = you dont want to go there mate

im actually 14 and i am not small chris i am 5 11" and 75 kg's and well

i cant get any other snake as i dont want a copperhead or a tiger snake :roll: so what am i meant to do

Joughin, you can't keep a snake without a licence. Simple as that. Get a licence and start off with a lizard. You have to start somewhere.

i am waiting to get a license

also lutzd i have allready had blue tongues before i havent had heath dragons i wonder what they are like :?:

wasent haveing a dig at you and size and weight has nothing to do with the venom...... fact is u can be 10ft tall and built like a brick shiz house and still have a bad reaction to a venom that is considered "mild"

all i was saying is get your licence and then worry about what to get....... i dont know about the laws there in tassie but i think if you are licenced you should be able to buy a spotted python or something from someone else in aus..... if not there is bound to be other reptile ppl in tassie that can teach you afew things........ is there a tassie herp society?

there is an add on herp trader.
"Original Artwork with Pastel of a Childrens Python (Anteresia childreni). Price includes postage and handling. Dimension of framed are: 800 x 960 mm Photo shows framed and unframed."
this is probably where you should start.

There has never been a case of death attributed to whitelips apparently, still, since you havent been envenomated theres no way to be sure of the effects on a Joughin ! Im afraid your choices are limited Joughin, We all understand how much you would like a python, unfortunatly its not going to happen. If you really badly want a snake, the whitelip may be the less dangerous of the three avail to you. My advice would be first to get your parents approval, then find another experience handler local to you to teach you how to care for and handle it.
Before any of that however.....GET YOUR BLOODY LICENSE !!!
Your wishful post are bugging the hell out us! :D
Good luck with your intrest in herps, I hope things work out for you. :wink:

thanks instar but i dont think threr is many snake keepers in tassie theres probably the uni but i dunnpo i might advertise in the local paper :) i hope it all works out oh and yes mum gave me permission to get ap ythons then staright after i found out i couldnt get one :(

Get in contact with TASSIE HERP SOCIETY and you can import a childrens python....yes it is hard as all your snake are hotties, but then again some of your tigers are more plascid than most pythons...lol...

also heath dragons are supposedly to scatty to be good pets

i havent had heath dragons i wonder what they are like

You say thay are too scatty and then say in your next post that you wonder what they are like. My Advice: Find some Tassie reptile keepers, discuss your options with them, and go from there. :)

I have a white lipped snake and I would not reccommend them for a beginner. They are a small snake, they are not like a python the same size which would be easy to handle. They feed predominantly on skinks in the wild and getting them on to mice takes patience.
(I do believe I said this all before the last time you asked this question)

AGAMIDAE said:
Get in contact with TASSIE HERP SOCIETY and you can import a childrens python....yes it is hard as all your snake are hotties, but then again some of your tigers are more plascid than most pythons...lol...
so i can import i hope i can :)

What Inny and Agamidae said.
Dont get a lizard if thats not what you want and a small python is far easier to keep,
remember, contact the herp society. Make it a project next week.

ps. dont practice on a lizard, some people have no respect..................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back