Image Sizes Poll

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dickyknee

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Image sizes

Is there a limit on the size of images posted , as there have been a few posted lately that are huge and are way to hard to view ??
Not to good for dial up either .

There is no limit on sizes in posts, however each user has a 20MB total upload limit. It is left for the individual at the moment to appropriately resize their image.

Hey Slates Junior, can we put up a sticky thread on how to resize pics before posting? I am OK with 1.5mb download but when you get 3 900kb pics on one page it can take a poor dial up person 25 minutes just to download the pics. And if a computer idiot like me can resize them it can't be too hard for anyone else. I might even run a poll.

I am seing a lot of images being posted in threads that are around 1mb in size. There is no benefit to be gained by posting such high detail pics and I guess that dial up users just forget about that post.

should we set a limit to the size of pics being postsd? Maybe 640 pixels wide or something like that.

Comments?

Good idea, loose dial up this week, but as a dial up user it can be rather frusrating waiting for the pic to come through only to drop out in the process. A tutorial post on resizing sounds good And make it as sticky as a date pudding too :)

I think its a good idea to have an image size limit, the major reason being for dial up users. But also it is rather annoying for any user to have to scroll left and right and up and down just to see a picture. It then loses interest even if it is a great picture because u cant see the whole thing at once. JMO

I personally dont mind about the size in a download ssnse as i have ADSL ,but i dial up user must be feeling the pinch , i just think its a pain to view the thread when some one post a huge pic, as when your trying to read the posts you have to scroll across the page all the time .

I agree, a dial up user could be put off waiting for the pictures to download.

Yes limit them , it is annoyong having to scroll around to read a thread . and it does nothing for the pic if you cant see it all at one time .
800x600 or 800 on the longest side , maybe around 150kb limit .
I use 2 photography forums and thats roughly the sizes they allow and the pics look fine .

I was until recently on dial up and I would just click the back button if I could not wait for the pics to load up.
Simple - want dial up users to view it, resize it.
Dial up users can either wait or choose not to look at it.
We're a public forum, not a government service that everyone has a "right to".
I size most of mine to 640x480 or 800x600 if I want to show it off better.

Surprising....i thought everyone on here had an opinion and was more than happy to express it! hehehe

should we set a limit to the size of pics being postsd? Maybe 640 pixels wide or something like that.
yeah something like that so it fits nicely on the page.
maybe they could just have a note in the attachment section telling ppl what is best.

there is a way u can make it so it doesnt allow images bigger than a certain size to be uploaded. just a thought

put it this way, if I get annoyed at the time it takes to download a pic I might be inclined to delete the post and request the person repost the pic at a more appropriate size.

Seriously though. I have done that and on the occasions when the poster has been not been able to do it themselves for whatever reason I have; as have others; done it for them.

As long as pictures are good quality, I like them to be big, I like to get a lot of detail. 1mb files are completely ridiculous of course, especially when the picture quality is low anyway. Dial up users can't handle it and few of us have monitors large enough to accomodate them, but 640 pixels? Come on, that is tiny! 1200 x 800 works well, it's large enough to give reasonable detail and small enough to fit onto a moderate sized monitor and be reasonably dial up friendly. Some people post some spectacular pictures and too small a size really won't do them justice.

Who is going to police it?
What are we going to do to offenders?
Why does it matter? Who is being forced to look at pics that they think are too big or too small?

no one is being "forced" but people who want to look at these images who are on dial up sometimes cant look at them....that is one of the main points.

So?
Don't look at them then.
We can have pictures of gruesome dead bodies and stuff but not pics that take a few minutes for those that choose to look at them on dial up?
Until very recently I was on dial up, I simply clicked th back button if the pics were too big.
I think we should limit people to 146 syllables per post as those people with reading disorders find long posts too hard to read.

Gruesome dead bodies ???:shock:
and how did you view the post if you hit the back button ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back