Image Sizes Poll

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't... that's the point.
You, as a person, use your own intelligence and make your own personal decision not to view the pics as they are too big for you.

Magpie said:
You don't... that's the point.
You, as a person, use your own intelligence and make your own personal decision not to view the pics as they are too big for you.

I understand your point , but to me its just not a good solution , if every one just hits the back button and does not bother to read post then there may not be much going on in the forums .
any way i think the poll speaks for itself .

Perhaps a better course of action would be to supply all new members with a 'How To Post Pics Manual' (with tips on how to resize included of course :wink: ) It could be attached to the welcome email that is sent out to all the newbies.

Resizing

peterjohnson64 said:
Bump or does no one else have an opinion

I resize most of my pics 600 x 500 and they appear to come out fine to the eye. Pics that are too big detract from what is trying to be shown and the subject or purpose of the pics is looooooooooooooooooossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttt. JMO 8)

I think we need to have some sense of reason on them....I don't mind large pics so much for the download aspect (despite the fact I'm on dialup and it takes a week), but I hate having to scroll across two screens wide and two screens long to look at a picture. Thats just too large.

IMO i agree with sdaji. 1200x800 is a good size. what i think would be nice is if people posted images that are large in size(not pixel size but byte size) would add dialup beware to the topic title, i wreckon that should help people with dialup.

andrew

If we educate the newbies before they start using the forums there won't be a problem.

I think people should learn how to crop their pics as well as resize them. I see a lot of pics on here with unnecessary background.

Use fotothing.com and they are resized perfect for forums, little low on the quality as Sdaji said but there are way too many MASSIVE pics put up that are a poor quality, it gets anoying moving the scroll bar to see a pic that doesnt fit into the screen anyway..

wombat said:
I think people should learn how to crop their pics as well as resize them. I see a lot of pics on here with unnecessary background.

YES, this would help aswell, you reduce the size of the picture without losing any picture quality.
I get sick of scrolling across 3 screens to read each post aswell, fair enough if its a great pic (like most of Sdaji's) a little bit wider than the screen is worth it but some are just ridiculous :lol:

Personally I use Microsoft Photo Editor (came with Office 2000) to crop and resize my pics.

Most digital cammeras come with editing software. People just need to learn how to use the software.

Don't rely on Photobucket to resize your pics.

As a dialup user, if I see an image attached which is larger than 200kb I just ignore it and go to another thread. Someone recently attached three 1MB + images in a post.

Also, large images (byte-size) can slow down the server. SJ explained it to me once but I forgot the details - something to do with the number the users looking at it at the same time.

:p

Hix

I don't have an issue with download size, I just think that when the pictures are quite large it makes them look shoddy, it's much easier to get the "full effect" of a shot if you can see the whole thing on one page and don't have to mentally piece it together as you scroll.

It also affects how we read what's being posted in the threads with big pics. Even for those who don't care or aren't affected by the download size it's an issue as you then have to scroll back and forth in order to read what's written on the pages with large pictures.

Then there's the fact that for newbies who don't know how to resize, or don't realise it's necessary, to do so get jumped on in threads where they post pics. Some of the reactions in the past have been quite rude and confronting for people who are new. I do realise how frustrating it can be to deal with the big pics (as have said above), but it's not much of a welcome.

If it's necessary to resize in order to post and it's made clear before they do it, then all this would be avoided.

Not that it matters much :p....but I resize to 400x533 pixels....and before Souly asks how I came up with the magic number....I didn't :wink: Since the photo editor I use has an option to maintain proportions all I do is plug in 400 and the 533 came automatically :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back