Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

womas4me

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Had a 2 m bhp handed in this arvo with what i believe is a huge impaction. This is about 7 cm from the vent, about 7 cm long and is 2/3 the dia of a tennis ball and is rock hard. How long the poor bugger has had it for I'll never know. We have just finished soaking it in warm water for 1 hour but has had no effect. Whenever i put my hand on the area the snake goes sick. Will be soaking again soon. Vet is not an option ( if put in here will surely die ) and cant reach any in perth so any help would be appreciated. Will post a piccie when it get's it next bath. Cheers

No way you can get an ultrasound done?
Sounds to me like it's bad enough to need surgical removal but with no vet......
You could try forcing some oil down the snakes gullet with a feeding tube maybe?

I have some ball tip syringes and will try some oilve oil later if needed. Never done that before either but have ' whats wrong with my snake ' and it shows a good picture so will try tomorrow morning if no luck with warm water. Because it is so hard i think it will need to be removed. This is a wild bhp by the way

Try using a small gauge needle to see if you can extract anything from the abcess. If so, you might be able to extract enough fluid/muck that the snake can then pass it itself. Its worth a shot if there is no vet nearby.

Cheers, Alan.

Let me know how you go. But if you find that it is solid, rock hard as you say, then the only removal will be surgically.

Thanks for the advice and best wishes. After second soaking feels slightly softer but maybe that's just wishful thinking. Here's a picture of the lump.
Will be trying the olive oil tomorrow if there is no improvement overnight.

Probably a stupid question, but thinking back to my nursing days, what would be the consequences of gently squirting some olive oil.glycerin/glycerol or similar into the vent in situations like this? Rather like an enema? I've never heard of anyone doing it (which probably means it won't work!) but that's not to say someone hasn't tried it. It surely works a treat in humans!

What do you think? Bigguy? Anyone?

I wouldnt muck around in the vent area unless you REALLY know what you are doing, such delicate organs and tissue lie in that area, and if you go poking around without knowing what you are doing, you are only making things worse!!!

We have been told by another reptile carer that he would be tempted to do just that lutzy. The only prob for us is inexperience with that method and giving it orally also. Will be seeing local vet and seeing if maybe they talk to perth zoo beforehand or during procudure maybe avoid it dying. How much oil would we give it orally. It would be a new feather in their cap if they could. They will need to get some experience soon as we have some big barroni coming shortly that have been run over and may need some attention vet wise. A bit of bad timing unfortunately for injured herps as i am off to sunny broome today to learn to handle and capture venomous so it all falls to nurse rachel again.

womas,

try swimming it. put it in a large tub/bath/pool and allow it to swim. Do this for about 10mins twice a day. It is useful for obstructed snakes and lizards.
Make sure the water isnt too cold.

cheers

Jonny

Thanks jonny. In the photo there is a plastic tub behind the bhp. This is where it has been getting bathed. We have been putting in about 5 cm of warm water and letting him soak. Do you mean we should put in more water or same thing

actually swim it not just soak it.

get it to glide through the water as if it is slithering through it. So the body of water you put it in has to be a considerable size so a bath maybe even too small.

Do you have a pool??? Don't do it if it is a cold pool (water cooler than 22 degrees)

cheers

Jonny

Well the big guy is off to the vet. I have talked them into not charging us for their time but only materials. Maybe the big guy will have a chance if he gets through it. Will let you know the outcome. I think this is a positive sign for our vets here if they are willing to have a go and increase their knowledge without charging the earth.

That's really good of them to do that, as you said they get the experience out of it as well, and hopefully will be able to help you out more in future....

Best of luck mate, hope it comes through :)

Womas, you could have tried the olive oil up the cloaca using aquarium tubing or even the dosing needle you mentioned. You are probably better using Parathan Oil, rather then cooking oil.

If it is only a solid No2 up there, you can apply finger pressure up through the belly region and try to break it up into smaller segments. These may be easier to pass. However, it may be a tumor, not a No 2 than you have troubles.

Just heard back from the vet. Bigguy you nailed it. They did an xray before surgery and found it looks like a tumour. Can't speak to the vet until 5 this arvo, so don't know whether they want to treat or just let it go or euthanase. It looks like an old snake with a lot of battle scars so that makes me feel better about it.

And I was sitting here trying to figure out what nitrogen dioxide had to do with anything :roll:

Bad luck womas :( Tis nice that he's had a long life though, certainly makes it easier.

It's sad but ok cos it's not one that we have had a chance to become attached to. Not looking forward to telling Jimmy tho as he is out of mobile range until 7 tonight when he gets into Broome. Oh the joys of herps!!

Sorry to hear it Womas :( Just try take solace in the fact that for every sad day our herps give us they give us far more happy ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back