Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NOZ4R2

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I just bought a awesome flash red exo terra incubator for my spotteds this year. This will be my first breeding season i know its early but best to be prepaired right!? :). Any way my question is what containers do i need for the eggs to go into the incubator? And what is the sandy looking stuff people rest there eggs on in there?. Any advice on how to set it up is much appreciated. Thanks heaps Shonnie! Xxx

Naw :( You took the fun out of breeding snakes.. Half the fun is the DIY incubators :)
A lot of people use Vermiculite and Perlite as a medium to put the eggs on.

The "no substrate method" is just about foolproof. Put the eggs on a mesh tray above a couple of cm of water. Decor salad containers work well. If you're worried about water sloshing around put some perlite in as well (in the water). This method leads to 100% humidity without the eggs coming into direct contact with a substrate that can (a) dehydrate the eggs or (b) swell the eggs when you get the water to substrate ratio wrong.

The "no substrate method" is just about foolproof. Put the eggs on a mesh tray above a couple of cm of water. Decor salad containers work well. If you're worried about water sloshing around put some perlite in as well (in the water). This method leads to 100% humidity without the eggs coming into direct contact with a substrate that can (a) dehydrate the eggs or (b) swell the eggs when you get the water to substrate ratio wrong.

This method works great, I never have to worry about making the substrate too wet or too dry.

l have used the "no substrate" (water only) for gtp's,womas,bhp's,macs and others for years without a glitch. solar 17

So the egg container is set up like this then put in the incubator , or this container is the incubator???. If that makes sense!.lol

This is interesting to me. So the eggs do not swell? I've had them swell before and had to pip them as they were not drying out. I thought it was too much humidity, but even with the high humidity of suspending the eggs above water they still dry out and colapse are per normal?

These are some of my eggs with the water over method solar 17
5050149997_8c14318522_z.jpg

anyone???

As Baden's picture show's... the eggs go in the container slash basket on the middle or top shelf, then a tray of water is placed beneath the eggs in the basket which is all inside the incubator.

Other's will help you with placement..

Ok my incubator only has 2 selves would it be ok to put the basket over a container of water would that still work?

Ok my incubator only has 2 selves would it be ok to put the basket over a container of water would that still work?
Just put the water and maybe substrate which ever u doing in bottom of tube below a raised plastic mesh that usually the eggs on then keep sealed lid on and place in incubator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back