Incubator interior pic's wanted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paintedpythons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm picking up my 140 lt freezer tomorrow to start to build my incubator . Is there anyone who would be happy to post some pic's of the internal setup . I know some place the water tray on the bottom so is the heat cord placed on a rack just above to help with humidity or do most place the tub with the water on a rack then place the eggs in a tub within that tub so the humidity is more confined ? Would that then possibly increase moisture on the surface of the eggs ? Is the heat cord run up the back walls and across the top ? The other thought to is having the door closed for so long for the heat and humidity would the air quality be a issue ? Just open a fridge that has been off for a long time and you quickly notice the smell ain't good ! Obviously I would give it a good clean before setting it up but would a couple of 10 mm holes at one bottom corner and 2 at the top opposite corner help air quality without loosing too much heat and moisture or is that really not needed ?
Just thought covering this thread with pic's and questions that I have notice have been asked but never clearly answered might be helpful ... Thanks

2 days and no help ! That's sad . Wonder if someone on another forum would be more helpfull ?

dont have any pic me self but google is your friend :)
https://www.google.com.au/search?sa...0&bih=955&q=fridge reptile incubator&imgdii=_

inc02.jpg

ba1l3y76-albums-bits-bobs-picture180052-incubator-clips.jpg

interior%20incubator.jpg

Would those heat fans that everyone hates for their enclosures be ok for incubation, as they keep a constant warm airflow, as long as used in conjunction with a thermostat and correct humidity levels?? Never bred anything reptile related before, so just curious???

Not a fridge, but it's the same setup.

This is my wooden incubator.
cfb90de8.jpg

9d704d49.jpg

I have heat cord on every wall, exept the doors. The thermostat probe is hanging under the middle of the top shelf.

You don't need to have a tray of water in the incubator, because the tubs should be air tight and have water in them.
Don't worry about ventilation holes in the incubator, it doesn't need them. The incubator and tubs, should be opened every couple of days, to a week, to allow for air exchange.

Would those heat fans that everyone hates for their enclosures be ok for incubation, as they keep a constant warm airflow, as long as used in conjunction with a thermostat and correct humidity levels?? Never bred anything reptile related before, so just curious???

If you're talking about those "reptile one" fan heaters? Then I'm going to say no. They create a hot spot, not ambient temperature, plus, (from memory) you can't use a thermostat with it, unless its a on/off thermostat. So the fan won't be on for very long anyway, and if it is, then the type of light in it, will create a hot spot, which you don't want in an incubator.

Not a fridge, but it's the same setup.

This is my wooden incubator.
cfb90de8.jpg

9d704d49.jpg

I have heat cord on every wall, exept the doors. The thermostat probe is hanging under the middle of the top shelf.

You don't need to have a tray of water in the incubator, because the tubs should be air tight and have water in them.
Don't worry about ventilation holes in the incubator, it doesn't need them. The incubator and tubs, should be opened every couple of days, to a week, to allow for air exchange.

Absolute love your incubator. What size is it and what length cord did you need?

Exactly how I was planning on building one (I have a lot of 40mm foam sheets in the shed) until I got a hold of my bar fridge. Same concept building your own allows for custom sizing.

Rick

Last edited:
Absolute love your incubator. What size is it and what length cord did you need?

Exactly how I was planning on building one (I have a lot of 40mm foam sheets in the shed) until I got a hold of my bar fridge. Same concept building your own allows for custom sizing.

Rick

1000mm W x 700mm D x 900mm H, with two 80w heat cords.

nah just wondering if the incubator holds heat well and if it has had any success?

Im sure RSP will reply saying he has had success (picture with all the tubs in it).

The only real difference between this and a fridge is the fact it isnt a fridge, looks to be fully insulated by a double wall of timber an foam wedged between. Its a brilliant idea if you dont want an unsightly fridge in your herp room, could even use it as a stand for a display vivarium in your living area.

Rick

what sort of temps does it hold?

I have tested it indoors and outdoors, it only fluctuates by 0.2 of a degree, over a two month period and both top and bottom shelves stay at the same temp.

Im sure RSP will reply saying he has had success (picture with all the tubs in it).

The only real difference between this and a fridge is the fact it isnt a fridge, looks to be fully insulated by a double wall of timber an foam wedged between. Its a brilliant idea if you dont want an unsightly fridge in your herp room, could even use it as a stand for a display vivarium in your living area.

Rick

Actually, it works much better then a fridge incubator. I've had many fridge incubators over the years, and none have worked anywhere near as good as this one.

A fridge's walls, are insulated with plastic, foam and metal. While my incubators walls, are insulated with 12mm plywood, 16mm foam and 16mm melamine. All walls on my incubator are very good insulators, the fridge really only has one good insulator (the foam).

I also use this incubator as a work bench in my herp room by the way.

Heres a photo of the outer walls for you.
fc054b40.jpg

I have tested it indoors and outdoors, it only fluctuates by 0.2 of a degree, over a two month period and both top and bottom shelves stay at the same temp.

Actually, it works much better then a fridge incubator. I've had many fridge incubators over the years, and none have worked anywhere near as good as this one.

A fridge's walls, are insulated with plastic, foam and metal. While my incubators walls, are insulated with 12mm plywood, 16mm foam and 16mm melamine. All walls on my incubator are very good insulators, the fridge really only has one good insulator (the foam).

I also use this incubator as a work bench in my herp room by the way.

Was going to say it was better then a fridge due to the layers used but i dont have a setup like this (yet). Fridges arent really that great for insulation as you have pointed out, i know you can save around $200 a year if you replace a fridge with a freezer and change the thermostat to suit. Freezers do have alot better insulation (denser foam?).

My little fridge will do until i get a herp room sorted. Another great use for big incubator apart from reptile eggs is raising insects. Cricket eggs if kept at 28-32c will start to hatch in around 5-7 days as opposed to 12-24 days at room temp.

Rick

thats awesome thats what im going to make mine out of 12mm ply wood and have foam between the two sheets of ply. i just think im going to make mine a little bit smaller, are those thermostats any good? and how much did it end up costing you to make like wood and thermostats and heat cord?

thats awesome thats what im going to make mine out of 12mm ply wood and have foam between the two sheets of ply. i just think im going to make mine a little bit smaller, are those thermostats any good? and how much did it end up costing you to make like wood and thermostats and heat cord?

I haven't had a problem with this thermostat. The total cost of this incubator was almost $650. If you made it smaller and only from 12mm ply and foam, you would save a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back