Incubator interior pic's wanted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to say sorry about being a bit impatient about replies ... This is great , just what I thought this site was all about , nice to have the experienced helping the inexperienced , don't think it hurt anyone neither ! . Thanks !

ok thanks, i have read that you spread them out 5cm apart is this the minimal distance between the heat cord and what is the maximum distance?

ok thanks, i have read that you spread them out 5cm apart is this the minimal distance between the heat cord and what is the maximum distance?

I really don't think you need to measure it out, just evenly distribute it through out the incubator. But for arguments sake, the spacing in my incubator varies from 150mm to 200mm.

but does it also mean the lower the watts the lower the heat it will put out?

The higher the watts, the hotter the cord will get. In a sealed incubator, heat builds and has no way of escaping. Because an incubator only needs to reach average temps of around 29-32 (depending on what's being incubated), it wouldn't be to hard for a lower watt heat cord to reach those temps.
Don't underestimate the lower watt heat cords, they all work well in incubators. Just make sure you have enough cord to be evenly distributed over every wall (except the door, though you can if you want to).

im in the process of making one out of my old fridge i hope it works first time making one was planning on putting a glass window on the front just cause i might open it much would it be a good idea to put two sheets of glass to hold the heat better. thats a nice incubator what type of incubaton do you use thanks

It would be a good idea to use double glazing to minimise heat loss.

im in the process of making one out of my old fridge i hope it works first time making one was planning on putting a glass window on the front just cause i might open it much would it be a good idea to put two sheets of glass to hold the heat better. thats a nice incubator what type of incubaton do you use thanks

Yes, two sheets of glass is a good idea.
I use the "over water method". The eggs sit on a grate, that's suspended over water or extremely wet substrate (the substrate is only there to stop the water from splashing the eggs when moving the containers), and the containers are air tight. I have tried other methods, this one is by far the best and easiest method.

A couple in action, old pic.

Attachments

• incubator.jpg
    incubator.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 195
oh ok cool, so there doesn't need to be any holes in the tubs? so the heat cord just needs to be evenly spread through the incubator for it to be affective doesn't really matter about the watts? I plan on having a door with glass sunken into it, I will also have LED's inside so I can turn on the lights and look into it without opening the door. I just hope I can figure out how to circulate the heat and not get any hot spots.

oh ok cool, so there doesn't need to be any holes in the tubs? so the heat cord just needs to be evenly spread through the incubator for it to be affective doesn't really matter about the watts? I plan on having a door with glass sunken into it, I will also have LED's inside so I can turn on the lights and look into it without opening the door. I just hope I can figure out how to circulate the heat and not get any hot spots.

No holes are needed in the tubs, just open them every 3-7 days.

The heat cord you need to use, will be the one that's long enough to cover 5 internal walls of the incubator.

I thought I would need a fan to help circulate the heat, to avoid hot spots. But even with my large incubator, I didn't need a fan, because the heat cord is evenly distributed over every wall, I don't get hot spots, as every wall is the same temp.

do you think if i did put holes in the lids i wouldn't have to open them every couple of days? and would i have to put heat cord of the top as heat rises?

Some pics of my old incubator I made but sold a few years ago now.

Attachments

• Snakes 042.jpg
    Snakes 042.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Snakes 044.jpg
    Snakes 044.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 108
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back