Incubator interior pic's wanted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you think if i did put holes in the lids i wouldn't have to open them every couple of days? and would i have to put heat cord of the top as heat rises?

The reason I don't put holes in the tubs, is because it lets out to much humidity. When using the "over water method", you need all the humidity possible, since the eggs aren't in direct contact with damp substrate, the only humidity the eggs get, is from the humidity in the air.

It probably isn't necessary to put heat cord on the roof, but I have had perfect success with mine, and it has cord on the roof.

thats what i was thinking, so when you say over water method how is that set up? and would you need holes in the lid if you are using vermiculite and direct contact on the eggs?

I use vermiculite and I put a half dozen or so small holes in the tub, to let fresh air in and the unwanted expelled gas from the eggs out. The lids get taken off once every week or two to replace all air. 2 or 3 three holes in the lid and 2 or 3 in the side of the tub opposite the end from the holes in the lid to created a small amonut of air flow does the trick.

tubs shouldnt have holes because the purpose of the tub is to maintain humidity
the purpose of the incubator is to maintain temperature.

thats what i was thinking, so when you say over water method how is that set up? and would you need holes in the lid if you are using vermiculite and direct contact on the eggs?

The "over water method" is very simple to setup. I use two variations. First, you can buy tubs from Coles or Woolies, that have grates in them. Simply fill the tub with some very damp substrate, place the grate ontop and sit the eggs on the grate. Like in this photo.
3A7C5CF0-70CC-43F3-9D36-A1686FE08F06-15338-0000185F07016225_zps5cd30ae9.jpg

When the grate is sitting on the substrate like this, make sure the substrate isn't so wet, that water can splash the eggs.

The other is a purpose built tub. It's called a SIM incubation container. It has a grate suspended in the middle of the tub, you simply add water or very wet substrate to the bottom of the tub and place the eggs on the suspending grate. Like in this photo.
1EB273CB-42D9-4926-942A-2A094C91278B-15338-0000185F0B9BB37F_zpsd927fb63.jpg

There are other "home made" ways of achieving this, just use your imagination at bunnings.

Know matter what method you use, holes in the tubs are not necessary, in my opinion. If you use holes, you need to cover them with "glad wrap". This allows gas exchange, but doesn't allow humidity to escape. But remember, the gasses expelled from the eggs, drop to the floor of the tub, so you will still need to open the tubs on a weekly basis and fan the gas out.

I have used tubs with holes in them, but I personally have greater success with no holes.

OK that's great that helps me out so much i just wasn't too sure what do to when the time came to incubate eggs, but now i do so thanks for the ideas and tips hopefully i have a good year breeding so i can test all this out :)

OK that's great that helps me out so much i just wasn't too sure what do to when the time came to incubate eggs, but now i do so thanks for the ideas and tips hopefully i have a good year breeding so i can test all this out :)

Happy to have helped. Good luck with it all.

cold-b-heart, a small handfull of small holes in the tub will not effect the humidity enough to worry about. It does more good than anything by removing some of the expelled gasess.
Snakes dont lay eggs in sealed tubs in the wild.

Could be wrong but eggs containers would build up with carbon dioxide,since heavier than air it would settle on the bottom of the tub regardless of the tubs having holes or not.

Last edited:
Is a fan necessary ?? At present testing without and temps seem ok on both shelves

Is a fan necessary ?? At present testing without and temps seem ok on both shelves

A fan is only needed to circulate air if bigger incubators with localised heating. If temps are fine there is no point in adding a fan.

Rick

Could be wrong but eggs containers would build up with carbon dioxide,since heavier than air it would settle on the bottom of the tub regardless of the tubs having holes or not.

This is how I understand it works.

Yes co2 is heavier than air and holes in tubs are not needed. I have found with holes I end up getting mould problems.... no holes, no mould problems 90% of the time.

The "over water method" is very simple to setup. I use two variations. First, you can buy tubs from Coles or Woolies, that have grates in them. Simply fill the tub with some very damp substrate, place the grate ontop and sit the eggs on the grate. Like in this photo.
3A7C5CF0-70CC-43F3-9D36-A1686FE08F06-15338-0000185F07016225_zps5cd30ae9.jpg

When the grate is sitting on the substrate like this, make sure the substrate isn't so wet, that water can splash the eggs.

The other is a purpose built tub. It's called a SIM incubation container. It has a grate suspended in the middle of the tub, you simply add water or very wet substrate to the bottom of the tub and place the eggs on the suspending grate. Like in this photo.
1EB273CB-42D9-4926-942A-2A094C91278B-15338-0000185F0B9BB37F_zpsd927fb63.jpg

There are other "home made" ways of achieving this, just use your imagination at bunnings.

Know matter what method you use, holes in the tubs are not necessary, in my opinion. If you use holes, you need to cover them with "glad wrap". This allows gas exchange, but doesn't allow humidity to escape. But remember, the gasses expelled from the eggs, drop to the floor of the tub, so you will still need to open the tubs on a weekly basis and fan the gas out.

I have used tubs with holes in them, but I personally have greater success with no holes.

I agree and I use the water method and just cable tie 20mm pvc pipe sections to the 'grate' to elevate it off the water.

Got a photo mate?

Rick

Sorry no pics of them, but just drill some 5mm holes in the top of a 25mm piece of 20mm PVC pipe and thread cable ties thru and fix off to the 'grate'. I do how ever have pics of the stainless steel fames I made up the next year and put 'oyster mesh' on top and cut to fit the tubs. All you do is put perlite around the egg's to stop them rolling around... it works like a charm.

Attachments

• PB260024.jpg
    PB260024.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 124
  • PB260022.jpg
    PB260022.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 120
  • PB260025.jpg
    PB260025.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 113
  • PB260026.jpg
    PB260026.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 116
  • Eggs 2012 x12 01.jpg
    Eggs 2012 x12 01.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Eggs 2012 x 12 002.jpg
    Eggs 2012 x 12 002.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 113
Sorry no pics of them, but just drill some 5mm holes in the top of a 25mm piece of 20mm PVC pipe and thread cable ties thru and fix off to the 'grate'. I do how ever have pics of the stainless steel fames I made up the next year and put 'oyster mesh' on top and cut to fit the tubs. All you do is put perlite around the egg's to stop them rolling around... it works like a charm.

Those are great :)

Did you moisten the perlite around the eggs or was it added dry an it absorbed its moisture by itself?

Rick

Added dry. P.S I cut the mesh within 1-2mm to suit the tub sizes so hatchys cannot get thru to water below and get stranded if not checked on all day. Also I put cable tie 'loops' at each end of mesh for handles to pull mesh out if and when required.

Pic of 'clump' of eggs below hatching with no perlite, as I got to eggs too late to seperate. Three of the eggs went bad 3 weeks out from hatching as you can see, but all the good eggs all hatched fine.

Attachments

• P1160002.jpg
    P1160002.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back