Infractions, Warnings, Bannings ETC!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is actually. Swearing is just that, swearing. Just because people use it, sometimes all too often, doesn't make it common English.

Don't get me wrong I can swear like the best of them but I also appreciate there is a time and a place. Even though some words can seem fine in context they probably shouldn't be used in mixed company.

The Mods did make it quite clear that substituting letters with symbols is not acceptable.

This site is aimed at being a family site. There are rules in place. Theses rules are imposed by the owners of the site. After all it is their place that they allow us to congregate in and hopefully share knowledge in a safe and secure environment.

I am sure that you and everyone else have rules for your own places that you expect visitors to respect. Therefore I don't see why it would be such a leap to respect theirs.

Where is Slim6y? I need a hand down from this box.

IsK

Actually, the common and continued use of words, despite their untioward initial meaning is exactly how words become common english. Take NICE for example. This is probably one of te worst things you could have said to someone in the late 1800s to early 1900s. It is derived from nescient - uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication; "an ignorant man"; "nescient of contemporary literature"; "an unlearned group incapable of understanding complex issues"; "exhibiting contempt for his unlettered companions"-.

So if someone calls you nice you really should be very upset with them.

"shouldn't be used in mixed company." as for this one, this is a sexist and stupid comment. There is no such thing as mixed comp[any any more, nor is there some rule that states that we should not swear in front of women any more.

I always thought nice meant "ugly, but interesting".

Some things will always be viewed as sexist but shouldn't be necessarily changed. For example an access to a ceiling is called a man hole, If I was doing a job for an old bag and I said to her "I need to climb up into your womans hole "I would probably get punched.

"shouldn't be used in mixed company." as for this one, this is a sexist and stupid comment. There is no such thing as mixed comp[any any more, nor is there some rule that states that we should not swear in front of women any more.

I believe children can be included in the "mixed company" box and it is not up to members of this site whether children are to be exposed to these words at their age, that is the point, this is a family site. As for these words being common english and helping to give depth to an argument I hardly think the F word bring depth rather than simple aggression. The english language is full of alternatives to swear words. These swear words are simply shortcuts that are destroying the sincerity of the language, much like the words tha, wot, wen etc.

Now I will just mention that I, like most other people in today's world, am also a chronic swearer :p

Some things will always be viewed as sexist but shouldn't be necessarily changed. For example an access to a ceiling is called a man hole, If I was doing a job for an old bag and I said to her "I need to climb up into your womans hole "I would probably get punched.

hahahaha good one! thats "nice"!

Im very suprised Earthling... you haven't been given an infraction yet... You must have been fresh off of one by now...

My dad used to get quite up set if we ever said the F word. These days he sometimes uses it himself and when I asked him about it he just said that the word these days is just more commonly accepted and not viewed as being so offensive as it once was. My grand mother however would probably be rolling over in her grave.

I would assume other words that don't just start with f etc will become more apparent in today's society. I always remember looking in the dictionary for taboo words... now they're so common I wouldn't even bat an eyelid if one was used on the 6pm news!

Yeh I myself have no problem with using the words but I don't think that they are common in today's society is reason to argue against the rules of the site. Swearing is not allowed so find another word to use in place of these words, it isn't all that difficult to type a post without these words in it.

Was it bad swearing or just like blipped out s...t. If you know what I mean - Just want to know so I don't get the boot

As the rules state (these would be the rules that you must read as part of the terms and conditions of joining this site):
No swearing or cursing, this includes trying to bypass the installed filter by making variations to words. If the filter alters words in your post to ‘*****’, then edit the post immediately and change the offending word.

As I read somewhere online... there are many variations and interesting ways that you can express yourself....Think of some.

Ahhh veredus........Im not saying Im arguing about the rules on this site...just having a discussion about swearing thats all. Particularly the F word.
Infractions Slim! Dont wish one on me..... I thought I might get one with the first couple of posts but alllll good.

Also veredus your post saying:
"And hence it serves as a shortcut that discourages the extension of one's vocabulary to other, often more apprpriate words."
Sooooooo...........Does it really matter if people dont extend their vocabulary? Its up to the individual. Nothing is regrettable in linguistic usage.
Appropriate yes, I do agree their to some extent, however, nothing is regrettable in linguistic usage.

I haven't been online for the last 2 1/2 days, so when I saw the title of this thread, and that it was three pages long, I thought "Multiple infractions coming up!"

But I was wrong, everyone has behaved themselves and discussed the topic in a mature fashion.

Firstly, to anyone who has forgotten the Rules: at the top of every page on this website, in the Menu bar, is a link to the Rules. At the bottom of the Rules is an explanation of the Infraction Point system.

As far as swearing goes, the Rule about swearing is pretty clear. It doesn't matter what you consider to be OK, it's what we consider OK. There are lots of children, including 12 year olds and younger, who look at this site. You might not care if your children are exposed to foul language, but other people do. The owner of this site is one of those people.

Before I go on, let me just say I can swear with the best of them, and usually do. But not on here. When I worked as a keeper at Taronga, the 's' word was commonly used by everyone, as a technical term to describe what we were shovelling most of the time. It was well accepted and in common usage at Taronga. But i won't use that word in front of my neices because my sister won't allow it. It's their house and their rules, and I respect that.

It's the same in APS. It's Slateman's site, Slateman's rules. If you don't want to abide by them, there are other reptile sites you can join instead.

If the filter changes one of your words to *******, then edit it quickly, because it will stand out in a post and the Moderators will issue infractions.

And if you deliberately post ******* (like someone did recently) - well, you're just asking for trouble!

Just a quick point on PMs.:
The Mods don't have access to view PMs. If someone has PMed you and swore, or threatened you etc., we can't verify what you say. Including an excerpt from the PM won't do any good because they could easily be doctored. Best thing to do is just ignore that particular member (just set the PMs in your profile to ignore them).

The only exception would be if you swore in a PM or email to a Moderator - again, just asking for an infraction! And you'd be surprised how often that occurs.

:p

Hix

I haven't been online for the last 2 1/2 days, so when I saw the title of this thread, and that it was three pages long, I thought "Multiple infractions coming up!"

But I was wrong, everyone has behaved themselves and discussed the topic in a mature fashion.

Firstly, to anyone who has forgotten the Rules: at the top of every page on this website, in the Menu bar, is a link to the Rules. At the bottom of the Rules is an explanation of the Infraction Point system.

As far as swearing goes, the Rule about swearing is pretty clear. It doesn't matter what you consider to be OK, it's what we consider OK. There are lots of children, including 12 year olds and younger, who look at this site. You might not care if your children are exposed to foul language, but other people do. The owner of this site is one of those people.

Before I go on, let me just say I can swear with the best of them, and usually do. But not on here. When I worked as a keeper at Taronga, the 's' word was commonly used by everyone, as a technical term to describe what we were shovelling most of the time. It was well accepted and in common usage at Taronga. But i won't use that word in front of my neices because my sister won't allow it. It's their house and their rules, and I respect that.

It's the same in APS. It's Slateman's site, Slateman's rules. If you don't want to abide by them, there are other reptile sites you can join instead.

If the filter changes one of your words to *******, then edit it quickly, because it will stand out in a post and the Moderators will issue infractions.

And if you deliberately post ******* (like someone did recently) - well, you're just asking for trouble!

Just a quick point on PMs.:
The Mods don't have access to view PMs. If someone has PMed you and swore, or threatened you etc., we can't verify what you say. Including an excerpt from the PM won't do any good because they could easily be doctored. Best thing to do is just ignore that particular member (just set the PMs in your profile to ignore them).

The only exception would be if you swore in a PM or email to a Moderator - again, just asking for an infraction! And you'd be surprised how often that occurs.

:p

Hix

Well Said Hix ;)

i got a nice liddle holiday 2,

NCHERPS gave me an infraction for unautherised selling or something, thanks for clearing it up Slateman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back