Injured Bluetongue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Walking the dog a few days ago and the dog found me a blotched bluetongue. Unfortunately it was in very bad condition, missing half its tail, very skinny and also had a problem with its jaw where the skin seems to have been pulled back over the jaw bone (hard to explain so i took pics). So I took the poor little fella home so I can fatten him up, worm him and look after him till his jaw heals a bit. But I just wanted to know what other people would do in this situation, and if there is anyway to speed up the healing process for his jaw.

Have to put pics on another time coz they don't work at the moment

If you dont really know what you are doing, I would take him to a vet or wildlife park. A lot of places will take in native animals and treat them. It will probably need antibiotics, possibly even surgery, so unless you have these things lying around... :)

I rescued a baby bluey a few months ago, but it was just de-hydrated and mal-nourished, so he did just need fattening up.

But good on you for rescuing the little guy!

Jordo, he possibly needs antibiotics........also I have heard slowing them down pyhsically and also their rate of metabiolism by placing them in the cool bottom crisper of the fridge helped with healing.

Jen

turns out the pics were too big so it was my own stupid fault :oops: :lol:

Nina - I'm going to get a vets opinion and treated with antibiotics if necessary, but would rather not give him away because I'm probably the best chance his got in terms of fattening him up and giving him the individual care a wildlife park could not, also I know where he was found and therefore to be released.
J4F - Sounds like an interesting theory but I might wait for more replies and/or vets opinion before cooling, i've always used slightly warmer temps for sick reptiles.

I dont think cooling would help, it would slow the process down and might make it worse. Keep it warm and well fed, I'm sure it will recover.
The description sounded alot worse than the photos look.
As long as it can eat properly, that's all that matters. Other than that he/she looks fairly healthy.

Its very skinny though, if it had the jaw problem and was fat i would have left it alone, but it can still eat.

Sorry to disagree with you Jordo
You are not the best chance this guys has.
The Jaw alone is a major concern.
Is it broken, Do you know. The flesh has been peeled from the lower jaw. Is the palate still intact. There is dead flesh on the wound. Have you cleaned it. the dead flesh needs to be removed.
This animal needs access to a vet with reptile experience.
Im sorry Jordo but you are not really helping this animal with guesswork.
Find an animal care facility and give it to them. Offer your services to them.

Peter don't be sorry, I came here for advice
Nothing is broken. I'm going to go to the vet for him to help clean it, if you think its that serious I'll ask him to get me contact details for a carer.

Well done Jordo, I had an injured Bluetongue given to me, as the person didn't know what to do as it was found under some pallets on a work site so I rang Wires who put me thru to a very helpful person and I discussed the lizards conditions and we decided it was best for the Bluey to go to a Vets.

I didn't want to make her worse by trying to help but prolonging the pain.

Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat, what was wrong with the bluey you were given?

I wouldnt be surprised if an injury like this has been caused from fighting with another male blue tongue. Have you seen the article on this behaviour in the Herpetofauna magazine??? Picture of a bluey whihc has had half of its head ripped off. Pretty violent stuff.

Simone.

Jordo, firstly i think the bluey needs to be kept outdoors. Exposure to sunlight will help any wounds heal quicker than indoors. Was the tail recently dropped? If so i would keep it on newspaper to avoid any debris sticking to the exposed flesh. I would clean the jaw, getting rid of dead flesh etc and then swab it daily with diluted Listerine(it works wonders). As long as no infections have occurred i doubt antibiotics will be needed. Blueys are tough little lizards and quite good healers. Wounds cleaned and then sunlight, i say!!

Thanks for all your responses.
I just came back from the vet who gave it a shot of antibiotics. He said it looked fine to him and just needed to heal on its own, I asked about cleaning the jaw but he said not to worry about it (the "dead flesh" came off on its own before I took it to the vet).
I also got a worming tablet from the vet, so I can worm it then put it in the pit (in its own section).
Serpenttongue - I agree, nothings better than natural sunlight. The tail was dropped a while ago and has already healed.
Once again thanks for all the advice

possum said:
Well done Jordo, I had an injured Bluetongue given to me, as the person didn't know what to do as it was found under some pallets on a work site so I rang Wires who put me thru to a very helpful person and I discussed the lizards conditions and we decided it was best for the Bluey to go to a Vets.

I didn't want to make her worse by trying to help but prolonging the pain.

I think you actually rang Sydney Wildlife possum. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back