Inland Carpet (Vic form) keepers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythons-rock!

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year I purchased an Inland/ Murray Darling carpet python (M.s. metcalfei) of a 'black and silver' Victorian bloodline. The specimen is growing well and has bold markings, but it seems that it is developing a tan/ maroon/ reddish colouration on its flanks and lower dorsal surface, and is turning out to look just like my SA form specimens (which tend to have colourful flanks). I'm aware that the Murray River form is largely universal in its morphological characteristics, however, know that some populations in the eastern part of the river system (in Victoria) lack this tan/ maroon/ red colouration altogether, hence the 'black and silver' name for this form.
Have other keepers found that Vic form carpets have a lot of/ some/ none of this flank colouration? Some text books seem to make a distinction based on this characteristic, as do some of the major snake breeders. Your insight/ experience/ thoughts are sought!

Attachments

• 100_1780.jpg
    100_1780.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_1773.jpg
    100_1773.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_1775.jpg
    100_1775.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.