Inland Carpets vs Childrens: Size and Enclosure questions!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson.Massacre

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Hey thereNew to forum, new-ish to snakes :D But I've now finally saved enough money to consider buying one!I'd love a good beginner snake that's easy to feed/keep, and seems like a Inland Carpet or Childrens seems the best.I'm torn between the small and large though- I'm quite short and having a snake one and a half times the height of me is a tad daunting, but I've fallen in love with MD's. Do you guys prefer small or large pythons? How do you get around with transporting/moving the larger ones? Pros and Cons of each?Also, concerning the MD's- Do they prefer height or floor space in their enclosure? What size will their enclosure need to be when full size and what age would I move them into it?Sorry, I'm just really trying to clear up some information that I really can't find anywhere- does anyone have any really good sites apart from here?Thanks everyone

md hands down. nothing intimidating about them at all. the setup of the enclosure can be tall or long as long as they have some branches to crawl around and hang off of. enclosure size would be the width or height plus the depth should equal the length of the animal in question. (or be bigger than the animal) adult size you would be looking at between 1.5m-2m. my 3 and 5 yr old kids play with our mds and there has never been a bite yet!

completely your call. I finally got my large python today....and it is amazing, BUT smaller is easier to manage. My stimson's I can sit down and just chiill with them in my shirt orr around my hands...the Bredli...not so much, a lot larger and harder to maintain, in saying that tho its an awesome feeling to have a 2kg + snake chillen around your neck. But remember, the larger the snake the more $$$ it costs, Larger feeds (and if you don't have someonee privately to buy from pet shops get oo expensive) larger enclosures, hides, water bowels, heat mats etc etc the list goes on! up to you I say :)
I do have two Windora Stimson pythons and they are amazing, very relaxed-the male more so then the female. They are just over one year old and are pushing 70cm (moving them to rats asap was the best move-allows mass growth due to nutrient rich-and don't be afraid to give you snake a large meal).
Also on that note every snake is different, try before you buy, handle and play that way you may be able to get a taste of what you are buying
Enjoy tho

Murray darling all the way
most docile pythons out there in my opinion, iv got one and love her to death.

never bitten anyone.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going for the smaller, because apparently mother doesn't want 'a giant monster' in my room, along with the giant viv.

Do you find your stimson hard to feed? Apparently they can be difficult?

My male is really, really relaxed, prob the most chilled snake I have every met, any time of the day put your hand in to get him out. He eats about 1/2 the amount the female does...She devours anything and everything, never had an issue with her, with him if he doesn't want to eat then I wait till the temps are higher and its later avo/night and he eats. Snakes eating patterns can be greatly affected by heat and I have found that if its not hot enough, he wont' eat...whereas she will eat any time. Depends on the personality of the snake also I suppose :) Plus they are really easy to handle and look after!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back