Irresponsible wildlife park... Who do I contact?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gilmore- I did THINK about approaching the guy... I just HATE conflict, and I would only expect him to know everything and how to look after his animals anyway.
I did think about it... but that's as far as it went.

Face to face confrontation isnt always good. Try writing a complaint letter.

Pythons dont really need UV.
The substrate is dirt....where else are you going to get dirt other from outside.
Gum leaves are fine.

How was it nasty. I fail to see why having a basic, outdated and cheap set up is irresponsible. Probably easier to fix and maintain.

It was a simple on and off thermostat with a basking light,
So...
The snakes are not getting the needed vitamin D and do not have a day or night cycle.
Pythons dont need supplements of any kind if feed with whole animals. They dont need UV
How do you know that they dont have a day and night cycle. Did you camp out there the night?

Snakes shedding in pieces is pretty easy to fix just bump up the humidity. Not a major problem. It will if it's not addresed though. Having shedremain on the tail and over the eye etc.

I think your over blowing this.
But i dont really know. Your argument just seems faulty.

Yes... and no.

If it was just some other keeper or run of the mill collection... then yeah I guess maybe his reaction would be a bit off. But, its a park where you pay to get in. Animals are on display. And not one but all or the majority of the snakes had shed problems. And not giving a water loving species lots of water is a bit wrong. They don't sound shockingly neglectful... but they certainly don't sound like a quality park, or as though they are meeting all the basic needs of their animals. Such as environmental enrichment and enough humidity to allow a healthy shed.

I think by the day night cycle... he means the area they were in was very dark and therefore when their basking light went out, the animals were virtually in the dark?

Anyway... he is perfectly within his rights to complain about the conditions. They werent outright abusive or neglectful... just moderately insufficient. But its a public display, it should be tip top, whether the equipment used is cheap or easy to maintain or replace or not... you can still make an enclosure look nice and be functional and compatible with the species assigned to it. Im sure it would have been nice to see a water python actually displaying water python behaviour ;)

I think by the day night cycle... he means the area they were in was very dark and therefore when their basking light went out, the animals were virtually in the dark?

Ah touche.

Good rebuttal as well :)

I just thought it was a bit silly getting the law involved. But your argument concerning the public and displays makes sense.

The thing with the bats you may find is that they are rescues. Caught in barbed wire fences, hit by cars, attacked by cats etc. The wildlife park has them as they can not be released.

I understand what you mean though, the original post made me squirm a little. Its probably not an RSPCA or even legal issue. But definitely a quality issue that Im sure some governing body somewhere might be able to push in the right direction :)

Ah touche.

Good rebuttal as well :)

I just thought it was a bit silly getting the law involved. But your argument concerning the public and displays makes sense.

Call 136 186 and report it to the DSE, any complaints about ANY commercial license holder in Victoria needs to go through this number.....there is no garentee that something will be done, but they are the people who are responsible for permits, they can inspect a property to ensure that they are meeting license conditions and if they feel there is an issue with animal welfare, can also involve DPI.

Pythons dont really need UV.
The substrate is dirt....where else are you going to get dirt other from outside.
Gum leaves are fine.

How was it nasty. I fail to see why having a basic, outdated and cheap set up is irresponsible. Probably easier to fix and maintain.

So...

Pythons dont need supplements of any kind if feed with whole animals. They dont need UV
How do you know that they dont have a day and night cycle. Did you camp out there the night?

Snakes shedding in pieces is pretty easy to fix just bump up the humidity. Not a major problem. It will if it's not addresed though. Having shedremain on the tail and over the eye etc.

Yeah, when the basking light was turned off, it was pitch black... I had to use my phone light to see the reptiles.
Did I camp put the night? No I did not need to.

As far as I know, all snakes need UV, but I am no expert.
Yeah, fair enough, just bump up the humidity... easy fix. Why has he not done it?
HE OWNS A WILDLIFE PARK. He is making a profit (and a good one at that) by neglecting his animals. To be honest, I think the water python was dead, like I said, it did not look like any water python I had ever seen. They all looked like they had sunburn, they looked sore.

I know gum leaves are fine.
I really don't think I should be explaining this...

What do you use as a substrate?
Do you use dirt? which was like dust, because it was so dry in there.
Why not?
Unsanitary?
When in dries it goes to a fine powder like quality, it may cause respiratory problems?
Because it looks ****?
All of the above?
Yeah, snakes live out in the wild, but when you buy a snake, keep it in captivity, you are hoping to keep it alive for the longest time possible.
You are there to care for it, minimize the risks that would shorten it's life if it were in the wild.
True?

I hope your snakes are better looked after than what I seen at the park.

Thanks for your sarcasm.

P.S- Thanks Giggles.

My Concern is that since the Wildlife Park seems very cheap, the dirt and gum leaves probably weren't treated.

I have a fair bit of experience in enclosure maintenance for public display and this is one of the worst reptile displays I have ever seen. The bats are also captive not rescue's and where kept in a very small enclosure. You don't need to question if he is telling the truth or not or if snakes need UV as it’s not the point. They are badly kept and everyone in this forum would agree if they visited. (not that you should have to though)
Make a formal complaint to DSE and the RSPCA and make sure you follow it up and keep on their backs about it.

I have a fair bit of experience in enclosure maintenance for public display and this is one of the worst reptile displays I have ever seen. The bats are also captive not rescue's and where kept in a very small enclosure. You don't need to question if he is telling the truth or not or if snakes need UV as it’s not the point. They are badly kept and everyone in this forum would agree if they visited. (not that you should have to though)
Make a formal complaint to DSE and the RSPCA and make sure you follow it up and keep on their backs about it.

Mike, Well said l would have to agree with what you have said here, keep up the good work with your own Reptiles and the public displays you do.

Cheers, Reptilian1933.

I cannot believe that people on here are creating division and argument over the concerns of a fellow herper in relation to possible poor husbandry. What a joy it must be to be one of the many Trolls on this site. How proud you must be in dominating all forums with your negativity.

Some people on here are full of piss and vinegar. I am not saying lets all grab our pitch forks and form a lynch mob, but ask yourself are you helping this site with your negativity.

Some people have done the right thing by pointing out the correct method of reporting such issues, even being as helpful as providing phone numbers.

If you are a proactive member you could ask Admin to send them a letter saying that several members have raised concerns over their habitat. This could include an offer for some local members to visit and offer assistance to ensure that the animals welfare is a priority.

Harmful bacteria, viruses ect. You wouldnt get gumleaves off the ground and put it in your snakes enclosure would you?

Could you please explain what types of harmful bacteria and viruses you will get from a gum leave ?

Harmful bacteria, viruses ect. You wouldnt get gumleaves off the ground and put it in your snakes enclosure would you?

YES!! *gasps!*

If the displays are as bad as you say, why didn't you have a simple conversation with them about it? Or, if not prepared to talk to them face-to-face, write a politely-worded email explaining your concerns and that you have contacted DSE/RSPCA? I struggle to think that the bats aren't rescues...

yeah ive been there it`s horrible but it`s not as bad as the wild life park just b4 phillp island in this park they had a big jungle carpet python with a bath room heater in there for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back