Irresponsible wildlife park... Who do I contact?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSPCA do a hell of a lot actually.. But with the number of idiotic animal owners out there they have their job cut out for them trying to see to all the complaints.. Perfect example of this is the 50+ kittens a day brought into RSPCA shelters during breeding seasons, not to mention the rest of the animals..
The conditions at this place sound appalling, but it is not the RSPCA's fault, and they don't deserve to be attacked because of other people's mistakes..

And haven worked at the RSPCA and working within the broader industry for 20 years, I can guarantee that the outcome for the vast majority of those 50 kittens just so happens to be the CHEAPEST option.... euthanasia. BUT, euthing those kittens is something they WONT invite the media over for a photo-shoot for!

Can I just ask, to the OP.

I understand that the enclosures you encountered and by your own recollection where sub-standard, no doubting you there.
What I would like to know if there wasn't any converstations with the keepers how do we know that they are kept in these poor conditions permantly?

It's a shame that the displays are crappy but if they are not in there permamently so what? They are displays after all, crappy displays would be their only crime. Getting all huffy and puffy about crappy displays without knowledge of care is pretty short sighted IMO. If we did this for everything heavens forbid how are people going to be able to take their animals to the expos and sell them in those tiny containers, no heating, no water, no substrate? Should we have gotten the RSPCA to have a field day at expos? You go into any herp house of a Zoo and you will find similar situations, though better maintained and cleaner. But by all standrads all croc displays in zoos can be said as being too small, hell I've even seen them mix species in the same display (shame on them don't they know better).

The proper thing to do would have been to address your concerns with the keepers and owners of the park at the time rather than on here and calling the federales on them without speaking to them. I appreciate your concerns for the animals, I just don't think you went about it the right way.

I've never seen this display, so won't comment on it. But I can not believe that some people here are suggesting the RSPCA be called in. WHAT??? Guys, the RSPCA is fundamentally against anything being kept in a cage. Be careful what you wish for, and who you invite in. Pretty soon they'll be trying to dictate conditions on the keeping of herps - do we want that? I note someone has called the wildlife authority. Good, they're best-placed to deal with it given they issue the licence.

Can I just ask, to the OP.

I understand that the enclosures you encountered and by your own recollection where sub-standard, no doubting you there.
What I would like to know if there wasn't any converstations with the keepers how do we know that they are kept in these poor conditions permantly?

It's a shame that the displays are crappy but if they are not in there permamently so what? They are displays after all, crappy displays would be their only crime. Getting all huffy and puffy about crappy displays without knowledge of care is pretty short sighted IMO. If we did this for everything heavens forbid how are people going to be able to take their animals to the expos and sell them in those tiny containers, no heating, no water, no substrate? Should we have gotten the RSPCA to have a field day at expos? You go into any herp house of a Zoo and you will find similar situations, though better maintained and cleaner. But by all standrads all croc displays in zoos can be said as being too small, hell I've even seen them mix species in the same display (shame on them don't they know better).

The proper thing to do would have been to address your concerns with the keepers and owners of the park at the time rather than on here and calling the federales on them without speaking to them. I appreciate your concerns for the animals, I just don't think you went about it the right way.

Well said...and on that note ...enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back