Is breeding rabbits cheaper / more cuter way for snake food? (Advice Aswell??)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toximac

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone is breeding rabbits and if they could post some photos or give some advice on the set up..

Rats smell too much, I figure rabbit babies would be much cuter and even thou they have em once a year, I don't need that many adults to feed 4 pythons & figure if I had 10 females breeding it should be enough..buy less food for the rabbits... (well..rabbit hay/straw mix would be cheaper)

Let me know if you made a rabbit rack -- like shown OR have diff. way of keeping them - I would pay for someone to make me the rack below lol...

p.s. I heard from PETA you can get the male to rape the female by just holding them down, quick pregnancy..I know its horrible but it gets your line going fast..cause sometimes rabbits are really stuborn and may never get preg. cause the female acts up allot

Rabbit Rack

000_5221.jpg

So much cuter than rats :'(

rabbit.jpg

Easy Food...?? :-O

baby-rabbits-800x600.jpg

Last edited:
why do you want cute food?,
i get that rabbits are bigger than rats, but cuteness as a pluss for food?, if you get attached to them wouldnt it just make them harder to kill? then you would be stuck with lots of bunnies

Your so called rabbit rack in the top pic would be at best useless, They urinate at a lot larger volume than rats and it would rot out in a very short time.
As far as feeding, like rats they are an atlib feeder and consume large quantitys of feed especially when lactating.
From the look of it in this thred and a few others you have made comment on you are a card carrying member of PETA as you seem to like dropping the word a lot and refer to thier rantings such as, "holding down a doe rabbit to let the male rape her so she will be in kitten" what complete and utter CRAP!

I sugest to you to buy the food you need as you dont even have the most basic of clues of animal husbandry or reproduction appart from what you are quoting from a extreemist animal right group, Or better still sell your animals as PETA would not approve of you keeping them for you own pleasure.
You come accross as a real goose!

Your so called rabbit rack in the top pic would be at best useless, They urinate at a lot larger volume than rats and it would rot out in a very short time.
As far as feeding, like rats they are an atlib feeder and consume large quantitys of feed especially when lactating.
From the look of it in this thred and a few others you have made comment on you are a card carrying member of PETA as you seem to like dropping the word a lot and refer to thier rantings such as, "holding down a doe rabbit to let the male rape her so she will be in kitten" what complete and utter CRAP!

I sugest to you to buy the food you need as you dont even have the most basic of clues of animal husbandry or reproduction appart from what you are quoting from a extreemist animal right group, Or better still sell your animals as PETA would not approve of you keeping them for you own pleasure.

ditto. epic fail dude, epic fail.

you dont need to "hold the female down"
my girlfriends rabbits breed so often she had to seperate them. they ended up with 10 from 2 to start with in only 4 months.

Just keep one good sized male on its own and a few breeding females. Make the male's cage sort of round without corners (so that the female can't get into a corner and thus not allow mating to occur) and put the females in for 15 minutes when you're ready to breed them. Also wood and rabbits don't mix imo, use thick galvanized mesh for the sides and use the type of thicker mesh that is narrow rectangular shaped for the floor. Elevate these cages and let the poo + pee fall on the concrete/tile, then you can easily wash/clean up the droppings. Make sure you have a nice cool place to keep them in as they are very susceptible to heat. Overseas we used to get commercial caging availible with integrated feed systems + nesting boxes. I don't know where you can get them here but they are quite expensive. Maybe PETA (lol) was referring to artificial insemination which I have seen in use, the female is placed in a tube etc etc......

-Will

thay will breed every 4 weeks 1 female and 1 male will do you for 4 snakes

Rabbits never stop eating, they reduce everything to dirt and replace it with mountains of rabbit pellets (poo) and they urinate like a tsunami.
Ive had 2 pet rabbits in a 3x2m area and within a week you could smell nothing but caked up urine and feaces. So in a wooden box you are going to be quite repulsed in a matter of days.
IMO its alot easier to keep 100 rats than 2 adult rabbits.

Oh and their urine is whitish and is like milk. Really grose.

Mind you i still have a pet rabbit, but she is litter trained and its emptied everyday.

I bred rabbits for pet and show purposes for about 6 years during my teen years. Trust me they stink just as bad if not worse than any other animal. It didn't matter how clean I kept them (bedded on shavings, even tried rice hulls), ask my "non-animal" friends to step into my rabbitry and they would let me know it smelt bad. The males spray, every animal needs to be housed separately. The heat will kill them just as quickly as it can the rats and you want something cuter to feed your snakes.

I didn't exactly have the room for commerical set up, I had cabinets similar to that in your photo, and I had 80 rabbits, even imported 4 from England before the ban was put in place. It works out ok but you should have some large, outdoor pens where they can jump and stretch their legs. Give a rabbit more room than it normally gets and watch them play. They run fast, jump in the air and scratch, roll, and eat. They are really funny to watch.

Oh and you need to cover open areas with fine insect screen to protect them against mozzies and fleas. Both these pests, and no doubt any other blood sucking pest can and do carry those two dreaded diseases - myxo and the calica virus. Have fun constantly repairing the screens too as the rabbits like chewing them.

I suggest to you to buy the food you need as you dont even have the most basic of clues of animal husbandry or reproduction appart from what you are quoting from a extreemist animal right group, Or better still sell your animals as PETA would not approve of you keeping them for you own pleasure.
ROFL

"Holding down a doe rabbit to let the male rape her so she will be in kitten:"????
I said..
"I heard from PETA you can get the male to rape the female by just holding them down, quick pregnancy."
Obviously that ties me to PETA and I Obviously make posts about PETA to everyone cause you say so :-S
Please also don't suggest something unless its useful, its quite obvious rabbits wee more and I know wood rots with anything wet

********************************************************************************************************************************

Im fairly sure most proffesional breeders use AI these days(there was a show about it on landline a few months back), it works much better although it may be a bit technical for for some.

Rats shouldn't smell if you keep them clean anyway..

Exactly, they actually are very clean if you provide a good habitat, their crap only stinks if you dont clean it up. In saying that though there crap does stink worse than some other animals like quails, which have no clean toileting habits and arnt cute or clever so are much easier to kill. You also dont have to steal the young from the parents which is pretty mean. But i guess im just a bit of a bleeding heart.

Just keep one good sized male on its own and a few breeding females. Make the male's cage sort of round without corners (so that the female can't get into a corner and thus not allow mating to occur) and put the females in for 15 minutes when you're ready to breed them. Also wood and rabbits don't mix imo, use thick galvanized mesh for the sides and use the type of thicker mesh that is narrow rectangular shaped for the floor. Elevate these cages and let the poo + pee fall on the concrete/tile, then you can easily wash/clean up the droppings. Make sure you have a nice cool place to keep them in as they are very susceptible to heat. Overseas we used to get commercial caging availible with integrated feed systems + nesting boxes. I don't know where you can get them here but they are quite expensive. Maybe PETA (lol) was referring to artificial insemination which I have seen in use, the female is placed in a tube etc etc......

-Will
Fantastic Advice, finding rectangular mesh for the bottom cage (retangular not square) is hard, none at bunnings I can find :-S - Also its extremely easy to potty train em, just put there poo/wee's in a tray and they'll always go to the toliet in it. Looking into building the circular cage now, thx for advice
thay will breed every 4 weeks 1 female and 1 male will do you for 4 snakes
omg I thought they only had 10 babies a year ROFL
Oh and you need to cover open areas with fine insect screen to protect them against mozzies and fleas. Both these pests, and no doubt any other blood sucking pest can and do carry those two dreaded diseases - myxo and the calica virus. Have fun constantly repairing the screens too as the rabbits like chewing them.
I guess if its double mesh with a cm gap with wire on the outside cage would work and not be bitten..:-S Ive had rabbits live over 6 years without mesh, no dogs and some mosquitos around, virus only happened once early 90s but since then no virus, nothing and no mesh :-/ 80 rabbits lol I would have a run and not that many hehe, they'll be outside, wouldn't stink as bad as my rat room.
why do you want cute food?,
i get that rabbits are bigger than rats, but cuteness as a pluss for food?, if you get attached to them wouldnt it just make them harder to kill? then you would be stuck with lots of bunnies
Yes but don't you ever cuddle the baby rats and give them veggies and think their cute with their fat fury heads and when they use paws to clean their face, hehehe
Rats shouldn't smell if you keep them clean anyway..
I clean the rat rack room every 5 days, every 4 to stop em stinking and I use concrete tubs, Ive had escapies and they steal the food and store it under the work bench. The cost of rat food aswell, rabbits would be cheaper.

Hundreds of millions of rabbits feral in Australia came from just 25 brought here in the 1800's. So, no, they don't just breed once a year. Why do you want 'cute food' for your reps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back