Is it cruel to keep pot plants?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having an ethical problem. I'm concerned that my pot plants aren't living as fulfilled a life as they could be. I have plants which naturally grow in moist areas, they naturally hear the water flowing (I know they don't have ears, but does anyone have evidence that they can't hear?), they are exposed to unfiltered sunlight, they get nibbled on my herbivorous beetles, sucked on by aphids, are surrounded by their friends (they live in dense clusters... surely this makes them social life forms), they are exposed to a variety of different smells and temperatures. However, in my house, they only get light filtered through glass, they are kept alone, and I know there is no evidence saying they have emotions, but there's also no evidence showing they don't, so I'm concerned that they're sad. They grow very well and are very healthy, but is this enough?

Anyone have any thoughts on this important issue of flora welfare? Should we start a vegetation liberation movement?

I have seen papers which suggest that plants can go into a comatozed state when a florist walks in the room.
SO if they are smart enough for that maybe they would like freedom :p

Makes himself comfy on Steves lounge and waits for the popcorn, don't forget the drink pugs.... :D And NO, I don't like turnip juice, it is cruel and inhumane to put them through a blender just to get their juices. ;-) :D

pugsly said:
Puts the popcorn in the microwave!

You evil [edited by moderators, please do not swear]! Don't you realise that plants are [edited by moderators, swearing will not be tolerated] life forms too, with [edited by moderators, you're really pushing our limits now] feelings and [edited by moderators, last warning], emotions. How can you live with yourself, murdering corn? Every individual corn kernel you pop is a potential new corn plant, capable of producing babies of its own. It has the potential to grow and develop in the beauty of nature, beneath the life-giving sun and rain, and caressed by the gentle breeze, which is natures way of showing [edited by moderators, we're serious now, Sdaji, you little $#!T] affection, you complete and utter [that's it Sdaji, you're banned].

Have you tried classical musis for your plants Sdaji?

I hear thats their favourite music. Perhaps they're lacking some good music...but other than that- it sounds like they have a great life with you....

And I agree...Turnips should be free.

(Hmmm...visions of Triffids here!)

LMAO...this is gunna be great!
i wan't popcorn too now but some how i feel if i get it im being cruel....:D
if i gave my snake popcorn would i be being cruel in two ways?

AntaresiaLady: Classical music is a human product, it is not natural. Exposing plants to music of any form is horribly irresponsible and cruel, it is just one step away from nature, taking them more deeply into captivity. For shame! Tut tut :evil: :cry:

Snow: of course it would. It's cruel to keep snakes in captivity, we've already established that. I suppose if you were to find corn which was already popped (and thus already murdered and beyond hope) and you were to use it to suffocate a captive snake (thus ending its misery), it might be acceptable, as long as you did it during a time of appropriate lunar and planetary alignment, and wore a pirate costume.

I think it is only cruel to keep pot plants if you are intending to chop them up and smoke them.

don't forget the drink pugs....

Beam for me, what are you after?!

Sdaji, you remind me of Robin Williams sometimes, just not sure if your sane or not... !

I think it is only cruel to keep pot plants if you are intending to chop them up and smoke them.

Now who would do such a thing! (Quick Huggy he's onto us!)

Jonny W for me, and yes, Sdaji is insane. ;-) :D :lol:

Sdaji said:
Snow: of course it would. It's cruel to keep snakes in captivity, we've already established that. I suppose if you were to find corn which was already popped (and thus already murdered and beyond hope) and you were to use it to suffocate a captive snake (thus ending its misery), it might be acceptable, as long as you did it during a time of appropriate lunar and planetary alignment, and wore a pirate costume.
i guess were all just cruel you should let all your snake go (when im there with my tanks:D) and free your pot plant just let it go thats it won't be hard or cruel!
Pirate Costume?

bundy here thanks pugs. a bloody stiff one!!

Sdaji...you have corrected my erroneous ways, I am going to be retiring my classical collection and give my plants peace.

:p

Snow1369 said:
i guess were all just cruel you should let all your snake go (when im there with my tanks:D) and free your pot plant just let it go thats it won't be hard or cruel!
Pirate Costume?

Yes yes! We are all cruel! But alas, we cannot release our snakes, as it would be cruel to unleash them on an unsuspecting world, and also to expose them to a world of cruetly! :shock: What are we to do? In desperation I seek and answer, ever more critical it seems to become that I find it, as even the act of breathing is cruel to all other life forms which depend upon oxygen to breathe! I can't even kill myself as it would be cruel to destroy the body which so many symbiotic (and perhaps even parasitic) bacteria and other microscopic life forms call home!

By questioning the pirate costume, I can only be made to assume that you're not a very good Pastafarian :cry:

I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants !!
chores005.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back