Is it Eastern Brown or Coastal Taipan??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will give my herpetologist a call. He has been handling and caring for reptiles for 35 years. His travelled all over australia and overseas with his reptile shows. He was also the first in identifying a new desease accuring in snakes. Anyone interested, go to his website which is www.snakebusters.com.au Cheers Carol.

And that right there explains why you are just so so wrong...

If you really think it's a taipan that's great but it's not. Eye colour is not a good indicator of species as the tones can change depending on the environments colour, skin colour is not a good indicator of species either, both eastern browns, western browns and taipans can have the same skin colour including the nose being creamy coloured.

About the only thing that can truly set an eastern brown from a taipan (if you can't tell from general appearance) without having to do scale counts is that they have keeled scales and browns don't.
= Carol. I wouldn't think that a snakes eyes would suddenly become smaller because of different habitats. The taipan's eye's are wider than the eastern brown's. Colour changes, yes, as in our tiger snakes we have here in Melbourne are different colouring to your island tiger snakes, which are black tigers.

= Carol. I wouldn't think that a snakes eyes would suddenly become smaller because of different habitats. The taipan's eye's are wider than the eastern brown's. Colour changes, yes, as in our tiger snakes we have here in Melbourne are different colouring to your island tiger snakes, which are black tigers.

Rightio, I didn't comment on eye size changing in differnt habitats....

Now c'mon, which ex-member are you?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!ONE ONE one

C'mon now Carol, who are you really???
I am a qualified snake handler, and have been reading the reseach of one of our top herpetologists in Australia. He runs snake and reptile courses throughout ausralia, i have been issued with my snake handling certificate by him. We learnt about snake identification, capturing and handling of our venemous snakes. Breeding and keeping of reptiles and snakes, etc. If your interested go to his website www.snakebusters.com.au and have a read. Cheers Carol.

I am a qualified snake handler, and have been reading the reseach of one of our top herpetologists in Australia. He runs snake and reptile courses throughout ausralia, i have been issued with my snake handling certificate by him. We learnt about snake identification, capturing and handling of our venemous snakes. Breeding and keeping of reptiles and snakes, etc. If your interested go to his website www.snakebusters.com.au and have a read. Cheers Carol.

His snakes are anything but venomous... For a qualified snake handler, you really don't know alot. Does your certificate read 'Qualified Venomoid Snake Handler'? :lol:

Just putting this out there.

Perhaps instead of bickering and ridiculing - one could educate and maybe start a thread with how to accurately identify vens with pics etc and make it a sticky. Since there are so many experts on here (myself excluded) it shouldn't be hard to do this.

= carol. Your point being? His the one making a lot of money from what he does, not you.

Ok i said i was over it but he's making heaps of money...

FROM TAKING ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!! BAHahahahahahaha!!!!111one ONE

You really aren't a very good poster child for the guy lol, look at what he taught you! An eastern brown and a taipan the same thing :shock: :O?? Or is it that a taipan is a brown and a brown is a taipan?

thats definitely a nice EBS, I havent seen one around here for a long time though i do see a few Red bellies. which is most likely the reason. :)

Hi Carol

completing a "snake handling course" should be just the start of a very steep learning curve. It takes years to become a skillful handler and fully competant with identification. The course will only give you the very basics.

I think it is very dangerous for people having completed these course to assume they are now qualified to tackle just about anything and unfortunately many people come out of these courses and appear to be instant experts. Handling a snake in a room or on an open grassy area is completely different to dealing with an angry snake in a confined space.

Have a look at some of the recent threads concerning ID's. Many people are jumping in very authoritively IDing snakes and often they are clearly wrong. Anyone can make a mistake but many are so damn adamant that they are correct it is dangerous...and these seem to be all newcomers!

Anyone can key out a snake in the hand or a dead specimen from looking at scales etc but often when catching a snake you wont get a good look at the whole thing...you may just see a part of its body.......or its scales........and you really should be able to tell just from that!

Birdwatchers talk about the "jizz" of a bird......nothing in particular...but perhaps the way it flies or flits around, general size, whatever......after a while you get the same feeling for identifying snakes, at least the common ones.

I would like to do a course some day...I'm sure some of them are very good. However I have heard of some being run by people who are fairly new to snakes and have only been handling for a couple of years.......again completing a course does not make you a fully competant handler. The guy who did your course certainly knows his snakes and has been involved with them a very long time, however from what I have seen of the way he conducts his shows it leaves a lot to be desired!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back