is it normal for a juvinile bredli to strike?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how are you measuring the temperature of his basking spot, in your other thread i can see a glass thermometer at the opposite end to the light, but nothing near the heat ....

what are the temps where he will warm himself and what is the temp at the cooler end ?

are you running a thermostat ? if so what is the temperature set at,

i know you said you were going to add some more branches/ hides etc, have you done that yet, or better still can you post a current pic of where everything is placed, a picture is worth a thousand words,

i brought an automatic thermostat yesterday which is set for 27-30 degrees celcus... its between the 2 lights the red light is on the same side as the heat matt... there is a few more branches but none too high as still gotta get the mesh to put around the light globes which im doing in the morning then ill add a lot more branches etc... also added another hide thing on the cooler end... oh and theres a corner with a patch of "fake" grass also...

ill take more photos tomorrow night and post them then when everythings done...

do i need to get a thing to measure the temperature in certain areas cause the place i went to yesterday said just to do what i got... if i do ill get it wednesday as thats when i get paid next as ive spent way too much already outta my savings...

if you havent moved the thermometer from your original picture, what is the reading on that ?

do you have a make and model of you thermostat ? then we will know what sort of 'automatic' it is.

dont go splashing cash just yet, i'm sure we can point you in the right direction before handing over your hard earned.

it could be a little harder with the resident in there, but:
He will need a basking spot of around 35c........ and somewhere to cool off if he gets to hot, (i'm talking about the cool end, not his water bowl)
You need to measure the temp where he will be sitting (move you existing thermometer under the heat lamp where you plan to have the branches, and move the branches accordingly)

trying to control the heat mat AND a heat lamp off of one thermostat is going to be fun, maybe disconnect the heat mat for now, until you get some stable temps in there,

oh and the heat matt is pre set and on cardboard under tiles with the viv on top...

ON Cardboard, that is asking for trouble... paper and heat are not a good mix, do you have any polystyrene foam ? another tile to sit the heat mat on...

diago and setup 15-7.jpgdiago n setup15..7 (2).jpgdiago setup----15.7.jpgdiago14.7.jpgsorry about the delay - here is some updated photos of how the vivarium is set up (for now, as i intend on adding more branches and hides still...)

diagos setup 15-7.jpg

Pretty sure that enclosure is way to big for him. You may want to keep him in a small click-clack style box(or similar) for a while, until he is happy at least. Hatchies like snug spaces where they feel secure. He looks very exposed in there but i guess if you pack it full of hides etc he may cheer up?

If you don't want to do that try covering up the glass for now (cardboard?). It may not look the best but it will make him feel a lot more hidden, then start to remove it after a few feeds. I kept my bredli hatchie in a glass tank covered in cardboard for the first two months and he's happy as larry!

ok thanx ... i do cover his tank at night with a blanket - is that like cardboard?

he seems pretty happy (i think), he enjoys moving around on his branches and basking on them, ive been rotating the branches etc now n then so he has different heights etc for basking and moving around on...

ill add more smaller hides...

the next test is to see if he will eat tomorrow for the first time being 2-3 weeks since he ate last - hopefully he does, i have left him alone other then moving him to clean is viv...

he seems to have grown a fair bit since i got him also like atleast a couple intches, would that mean he's due to shed soon?

Yeah the blanket would be similar to the cardboard, but imo it is during the day when he would want it the most. It is during the day when, in the wild, he would find a cosy hole to sleep in...safe from predators. Remember at that size, almost everything that moves in the wild would consider him a highly nutritious snack....:)

Lets hope he feeds tomorrow, fingers crossed!

so far he aint eating :( ...

ok i take that back lol.. yay he is eating, finally!!! i changed his click-clack from the clear container the reptile place gave me and said to use to an ice-cream container which would be darker and put holes in it etc... n i just checked him and he was wrapped around the mouse so im guessing he is eating it lol - well hopefully... but also hopefully i didnt ruin it by checking on him :s im going to leave him over night in his click-clack inside his viv...

ok i take that back lol.. yay he is eating, finally!!! i changed his click-clack from the clear container the reptile place gave me and said to use to an ice-cream container which would be darker and put holes in it etc... n i just checked him and he was wrapped around the mouse so im guessing he is eating it lol - well hopefully... but also hopefully i didnt ruin it by checking on him :s im going to leave him over night in his click-clack inside his viv...
If you have the lid on your click clack poke a hole in the top and put your temp probe in to make sure it is not too hot in there.
If the lid is off he can get out and go back to his hide.

yeah.. i took the lid of this morning off of his click clack, then left him so he could come out when hes ready cause he ate his mouse, i didnt wanna pick him up and put him on a branch or whatever i thought id leave him to come out when hes ready =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back