Is my carpet python a Jag?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FaustVIII

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to carpet pythons. I know how to care for them but I have virtually no clue on morphs. I bought my female from a reptile shop and she was labelled as a McDowells, after buying her I tried googling what I assume is a morph but nothing comes up. I sent a picture of my carpet to a guy who breeds them to see what would go nicely as a future breeding project and he says she is a jag. Then I watched a vid on youtube and a guy mentioned Queensland which apparently look like jags but aren't. My head is fried if you could have a look and tell me what morph she is (if any) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's a pic

qq6c13.jpg

I paid £150 so around jag prices I think. I aren't really bothered if she is or isn't its as I think she's ace! It's just if she isn't I'd buy a male jag. I don't really want to risk 25% of the clutch dying. Especially after a few years lol. Thanks for the replies :D

in my opinion she's a mareeba python.. and i think thats a queensland carpet python either way though like if im right or im wrong and she's a jag you scored both ways!!:)

She does have similarities with a mareeba it's weird she sort of looks inbetween the two to me once she's shed I'll upload a decent picture of her. Reckon I should just go for a male jag?

Since you are overseas it is more likely that she is a jag instead of a pure reduced pattern. As for it being a Mareeba animal, I doubt there are too many Cape York carpets overseas. If you do decide to buy a male jag be prepared for some of the clutch to die. At least that way you would know for sure. She is a nice looking animal either way.

Last edited:
It looks like a Jag but could be reduced pattern but WOAH.... if you paid coastal carpet ammount you would be cheering! Anyways what ever it is... its a beutiful snake :)
Tristan

I think I'll stick with my original plan and get a jag sib male. Thanks for the help guys.

Jag is short for Jaguar it's a morph of carpet python I'm not sure on the eyes thing though.

ok some of you are funny...FaustVIII is over sea's not in Australia there for he would not own or get the pleasure to own Cape York's, nor a pure reduced pattern carpet python. over there your more likely to find Jags and washed out hybrid coastal's, you might be better off asking what type of jag it is in an over sea's forum, seeing Australia hasn't been into the hole jag scene for too long. but its a stunning snake, for pricing however the price you paid is completely different to what there available here in Australia for as they are still new to the market, and what your prices are for jags over there are pretty much closer to the price for pure carpets here in Australia so matching prices or asking if its the right price is a waist of time as I'm sure none of us would be up to date with prices where your from. As for being told its a McDowell's there correct that's in fact the species scientific name not the morph, a jag is the morph :)

Jags have silver eyes. That's the eye thing geckojosh was asking about.

Hold it by its tail and see if it twirls around. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back