Is my snake sick???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormangel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted here is ages but I desperately need some awesome help from you guys and gals!

I have a 2 yr old murray darling carpet snake but until now she's been a good feeder.

I fed her a weaner as I usually do every 10 days, but I noticed she'd spat the rat out 1 day later, when I put her feeding box into her tank she rolled a bit because it was on an angle, but I didn't think it was enough to disrupt her digestion, but maybe it was???

Anyhow so I waited a few days just to let things settle and tried to feed her tonight and she wouldn't take the rat?

What do you guys think?

Is it vet time?

Thx in advance for your help, am a worried snake owner here atm as this is a new sitch for me.

Thankyou!!!!

Snakes do regurge from time to time I wouldn't stress yet, it takes a bit out of them so its not unusual for them to skip a meal afterwards.

As long as snakes are healthy and relatively stress-free then they are rarely willing to regurgitate a meal. In most cases they'll do anything they can to hold it down. I dont think the snake rolling would be enough to cause regurgitation either. Even after regurgitating a meal most healthy snakes are willing to down another one ASAP.

The common causes of regurgitation are incorrect temps, the meal is too large or the snake has worms. The vet can help you to see if the snake has worms if you give him/her a fresh faeces, however round worms (the most common) will usually be regurgitated with the meal, eliminating the need for a feacal examination.

I would give the snake a few weeks without food and then start it back up on smaller meals for a while. The last thing you want is a snake with chronic regurgitation.

shes just not interested....its been 31/2 weeks since her last feed.

Could it be something to do with the fact her lamp has been broken, we've been keeping the uv light on and her tank is 26.2 deg at night, might drop a few degs but if shes cold she usually sits under the light.....get a new heat pad and see if the temps the thing.......

any other suggestions would be very welcome

You can't feed your snake without a hotspot for it to digest it's food in. Was the heat lamp broken when it regurged?

If a heat lamp goes like that, you need to have it fixed asap, especially if you are still wanting the snake to eat. A snake simply can't digest food without a hot spot, and I really doubt that a UV light would cut it as hot enough for good digestion.

The broken lamp is without a doubt the reason she won't eat - as stated without a hotspot digestion can't take place. There is no way the lamp is providing anywhere near enough heat to digest the food and replacing your lamp is the only way to get her feeding...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back