Is she sick???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saphira

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have only had my 6 month old childrens python for about 2 weeks now, and she's my first snake , (however I am fairly sure she won't be my last)!!
Hopefully it's not a problem, but I thought a pythons tongue flicks in and out all the time. Saphira only does it sometimes when I am holding her, cleaning her enclosure, or if she's just eaten. Is this normal? She feeds well and seems to enjoy being held. I already love the pants off her and want to make sure I am doing the best I can for her. Thanks for any and all help.

Sounds pretty much normal. Snakes use their tongues to pick up scents, so your python will flick her tongue around when looking for food, not so much when she s resting. When you handle her she would be investigating her surrounding and picking up your scent.

Thanks so much. You have put my mind at ease. One other question if no-one minds...
When I feed her she doesn't strike or constrict her pinkies, just waits until she thinks I'm not looking and then eats. Is this normal? And when should I change her from pinkies to fuzzies?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sorry that was two questions.

Yeah, that normal enough. My woma doesn't strike, he basically opens his mouth and waits for the food to be put in there. My albino is the same.
My spotted doesn't always strike so more often then not I just show her the rat then leave it in her cage for her to find and eat. If it is still there the next morning (rarely if ever) I throw it out and try again 2 days later.
Regarding going up a size, when the snake has finished eating you should be able to see a slight bump at its fattest bit, but in saying that, pythons can eat something up to twice the size of the fattest section of their body. I think another rule is to feed a prey item that is 15/20% of the snakes weight.
Hope this helps.

Thanx that was helpful.
I think maybe I should move her to fuzzies because I can only JUST see a bump after she has eaten.

She's eating large mice pinkies.
That's what I was told to feed her when I bought her. He showed me what size she'd been having when I went to pick her up. Is it not enough? Should she be on rats instead?

Sent from my GT-N7105

Thanx that was helpful.
I think maybe I should move her to fuzzies because I can only JUST see a bump after she has eaten.

That's not a problem :).. at 6 months I would probably be moving her up to fuzzies. My little albino is about 5 months and she takes 2 pinkie mice and will be moved to fuzzies soon. It all depends on what you think. Weigh both your snake and the food item if you are unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back