IS this a Gee up - Boa Constrictor released into Oatley Park duckponds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatlloydy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got an email from a cycling buddy about this last night...following is his email and my response? What do you guys reckon? Given Sydney is temperate climate I doubt if any exotic species would survive long (but am no expert) even if it was true.

"So I just got news that there is a ral live bowaconstricta (sic) which was released in the mashs of Oatley duck ponds.latest sights has it at about 45 inches rnd....."

my response

"I am definitely gonna see if I can check it out...but if its girth is 45" round I doubt if it would be a boa constricter as they are relatively small by large snake standards (only 3-4m max)...more likely either a burmese python or even more likely an Anaconda (Anacondas live primarily in the water).
Pls note that the private ownership of all exotic species of reptiles is strictly prohibited in Australia although I have heard a lot of black market smuggling so what pez is saying could be true"

thats why I added the (SIC)...I believe it stands for "Spelt in context" to signify mispelt by original source....but to be honest...he's pretty good compared to a lot of posts I see on this site (just sayin') :eek:)

that's why she added the ' to signify that a letter has been left out or abbreviated... though it's still wrong even though you tried lol, sorry ash...

Last edited:
Right-e-o ash lol... any whom, I think it's a G's up from the feet up. Doubt a snake that normally reside in hot tropical temperatures will survive Sydney's weather.

thats why I added the (SIC)...I believe it stands for "Spelt in context" to signify mispelt by original source....but to be honest...he's pretty good compared to a lot of posts I see on this site (just sayin') :eek:)

I always knew 'SIC' meant that something was misspelled, but I never knew what the letters stood for..... :D

Who says you can't learn anything on APS? :eek:

And, I agree with the second part of the post :D

I must point out the difference between 'exotics' and 'tropics'...

Exotics come from another country no matter what the climate conditions.

Tropics or tropical suggests from the region between 23.5' north and 23.5' south of the equator - it does not signify 'exotic' unless from another country.

Boa constrictors are possibly considered both exotic and tropical.

However... we get into a new kettle of fish if it's burmese or anaconda!!!

Burmese pythons survive in Florida - do they not? And Florida is sub-tropical... Sydney is (almost) sub tropical... I don't see them surviving as long... but a decent summer in Sydney could lead one of the 'said' species surviving long enough to become a 'panther' legend!

o.k..so the only way to prove it is for me to go along and get a photo...but if I dont find it...it does not necessarily disprove it (oh no double negative...the grammar police will be onto me)....stand by...may have to wait for nice warm sunny day though..perhaps Wed.

As they say on this forum (and fishing ones too) ..."if there isn't a photo it didnt happen" ... well at least an undoctored photo cos there are a lot of larrikens on this site with very good photoshop skills.

Where did your mate hear this? I know that marsh very well as I used to catch turtles, red bellies and EWDs there as a kid. My parents still live 10 mins walk from where you are talking about.

I very much doubt that a RTB would survive down there for long (if it even exists - which I also doubt).

Last edited:
Let's just say.... Like the panther... It could be out there.... somewhere....

Florida is as tropical as North QLD.

"Sayin'" is correct spelling (the apostrophe is there in place of the removed g), even if it is informal.

No snake with a 45 inch girl was released in the vicinity of Sydney recently.

The Easter Bunny is a mythical creature.

Sdaji;No snake with a 45 inch girl was released in the vicinity of Sydney recently.[/QUOTE said:
OK I missed the 45" part, that's just bollocks.

Florida is as tropical as North QLD.

You should re-consult your geography teacher on this one...

Florida is NOT in the tropics... This does NOT suggest the climate.

Rockhampton to the Cape is all in the tropics... 23.5' south of the equator heading north...

Florida... I believe... 26' north of the equator.... (Miami maybe 25' north).

This picture clearly shows Florida is NOT in the tropics:
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/fllatlog.htm (somewhere on this page)

Where did your mate hear this? I know that marsh very well as I used to catch turtles, red bellies and EWDs there as a kid. My parents still live 10 mins walk from where you are talking about.

I very much doubt that a RTB would survive down there for long (if it even exists - which I also doubt).

He is a cyclist and Oatley park is where they race crits every weekend...I am also doubtful of it...however, my question is more as to whether or not it could survive.

I have heard stories (and yes only anecdotal) of a lot of illegal importation of specimens of exotic origin in Sydney...I find it still plausible that someone who had less brains and more wanting to pose to his mates bringing something like a burmese or anaconda in and it getting too big and being released...tho 45" girth is huge and beyond the pale...this friend knows nothing of snakes but knew I had an interest...don't know where he got the info from...but it arose after crit racing on the w/end.

I still believe it is possible tho the girth is impossible (I quoted him verbatim in the original post so I wasnt guilding the lilly so to speak)

Yes there are certainly plenty of Red Tailed Boas and (other exotics) around; however I suspect that due to the obvious exaggeration this is just an urban legend.

Also, the racing circuit is nowhere near the marsh as it is only accessible via an unsealed fire trail that would destroy a road bike. Therefore it's impossible that someone just saw it while they were racing.

In relation to the likelihood of a RTB surviving down there, it may make it through the summer but would not last out the cold winter temps. There would be plenty of food for it down there that's for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back