IS this a Gee up - Boa Constrictor released into Oatley Park duckponds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, Panther's is out near Penrith. Mostly crocodiles out that way.

Im not even from the area and know that you only get gators that far south, ya know what im sayin. I heard from a local yokels wife/sister down that way the they blasted one good and proper with buckshot and it procceded to eat a cow while they where whatchin and drinkin moonshine, ya know what im sayin.

Ian_davo carpet pythons live thoughout most of Australia some are better adapted to differant climates, let us know how well the are going once they are over 20.

In relation to whether an organism can survive outside its recognized natural range is determined by the presence of a fundamental niche and the absence of competition and other limiting factors. That is how we get species that live in a certain area, their realized niche, as ecological factors inhibit the ability for a species to occupy all habitat that satisfies their functioning requirements. Such that species which occupy the same fundamental niche are separated into their realized niche due to the variation in ecological factors present across their range, enabling each species to inhabit a set region/area.

So basically an animal(s) translocated to a habitat which satisfies their living requirements will either die off due to ecological factors such as predation or interspecific competition for a resource, become geographically restricted as the new species and existing interspecific competitors establish a realized niche (range) or the new species out competes its predators and the existing species are affected.

The later is the example of most introduced pests.

What's wrong with toads ian_davo?

What is wrong with exterminating koalas, pandas and kiwis for sport? (yes its an obvious retorical question with an answer of nothing)

id have to agree with anouc the day i see a 45' inch snake loose in Sydney is the day i would gladly walk down the main street naked just not happening

What is wrong with exterminating koalas, pandas and kiwis for sport? (yes its an obvious retorical question with an answer of nothing)

Cris you really manage to crack me up sometimes. Witty and sarcastic. woohoo indeed

hey look i think i saw it last nite it was in the back of my TV, yeah it was real big massive !

then i changed the channel and it turned out to be on the TV not in it !

Maybe you should all go and have a look at the distribution maps of the Boa constrictor complex and cross reference that with weather patterns and temperature highs and lows. This is how a topic becomes actual and not fictional. You might want to know above things before you get involved in a discussion about wether a snake would survive in an environment or not.

Back to the 45" girl. Was that her height or some other measurement?

The guy I got the email from knows nothing about snakes or their girths (nor how to spell) but he is a chippie so you think he would understand measurements and to be honest I know of no snake anywhere that is 45" rnd :eek:)...however, normally he is not prone to exaggeration...but I am admitting this is "chinese whispers" in that I dont know where he got his info from etc....part of the email which I didnt include was a throw away comment that it could "eat your daughters"...which implies it is supposed to be pretty big.

I doubt if there is any truth to this and perhaps another urban legend but as I said the first warm day I am out there to check it out...as it has been raining cats and dogs literally in the last 12 hours or so I dont think I will have much luck finding anything until it warms up (almost like a winter day yesterday and today)

And worse case I may find a few RBBS, water dragons, diamonds, turtles etc which are known to inhabit that area...so I dont think it will be a wasted visit...plus the chance for a few hours of exercise which I also need. Will go armed with compact camera and monopod...I can then dunk said (waterproof) camera under water to obtain the glory shot of the 45" rnd Anaconda (well I may find an eel or 2 or a turtle in best case scenario in the ponds)

What the hell do koalas actually do. Do they have an ecological niche that is a cornerstone to the survival of anything else. Are they part of some ongoing survival chain or are they just mindless eucalypt killing machines.

Maybe you should all go and have a look at the distribution maps of the Boa constrictor complex and cross reference that with weather patterns and temperature highs and lows. This is how a topic becomes actual and not fictional. You might want to know above things before you get involved in a discussion about wether a snake would survive in an environment or not.

What are you really getting at here?

Are you saying that a snake from a tropical background 'couldn't' survive in Sydney?

Wiki exert:

Geographic range
A Boa constrictor in Belize

"Dependent on subspecies Boa constrictor can be found from northern Mexico through Central America (Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama) to South America north of 35°S (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Brazil, Bolivia, Uruguay and Argentina). Also in the Lesser Antilles (Dominica and St. Lucia), on San Andrés, Providencia and many other islands along the coasts of Mexico and Central and South America. The type locality given is "Indiis" -- a mistake, according to Peters and Orejas-Miranda (1970)"

Sydney location:

33.5' south (north of 35' south).

Average temperatures range from 12'C to 23'C with maximums well outside of that range.

Sharing a similar latitude line to Santiago.

Where some boas exist (and vipers I think) on higher altitudes in the Andes... They have adapted to cooler conditions...

Is this what you're on about?

You don't need to do research to see that snakes (reptiles in general) are highly adaptable for any period of time... This is why they're one of the most successful animals on earth!

I don't think it would be impossible for some species of boa to survive easily in Sydney's conditions. Nor do I think it is impossible for some other species to survive.

Some (clearly) will do better than others...

A 45in girl may require a warmer summer...

No slim6y: I am actually getting to the fact that it is more than possible for Boas to survive in Sydney. Any person who has been in their natural range would be able to tell you that! On top of this, most available boas in the pet industry is a mix of different localities and this makes them much more hardier than pure lines.

Dats orsum news bruz mayb we can catch it n sell it on ebay n mke sum monie.

ps nuffin rong wiv my spellin hey? ;)

Serious note, that would be rather cool...
I'd love it if we could keep exotic species. I want a Chameleon =D

Ahh well, let's see if there is one there, if it can interbreed somehow... Now there is an interesting thing.
Being two totally different species I don't think it is possible, might come out with not a mule obviously but you catch my drift.

Also, I believe that there are snakes out there with a girth size of 45 inches...
An Anaconda was found once with a girth of 44in... that was one that was found...

I don't believe a boa constrictor could have a girth of 45 inches though, as the Anaconda is the "fattest" snake in the world, and for it to be living in Sydney... nah...

Last edited:
No slim6y: I am actually getting to the fact that it is more than possible for Boas to survive in Sydney. Any person who has been in their natural range would be able to tell you that! On top of this, most available boas in the pet industry is a mix of different localities and this makes them much more hardier than pure lines.

Sorry - I misinterpreted that :)

My full and most humble apologies :)

But at least we agree... there's some consistency there :)

Haha! I should read my posts before submitting them! Girl was a typo for girth! :lol: Oh dear, sorry to any 45" girls I've offended!

The northern and southern hemispheres are different, the same distance from the equator won't give you the same climate anywhere in the world, it depends on the surrounding topography, position, etc etc, and... well, actually, I'm not going to get into a pedantic internet squabble, let's just chalk it up as a win for you :) Well done!

Boas would survive in Sydney, no danger!!! It can get pretty cold In some of their natural habitat, and I've spent a winter in Florida, and If a Burm can thrive there, It can thrive In Sydney...

Haha! I should read my posts before submitting them! Girl was a typo for girth! :lol: Oh dear, sorry to any 45" girls I've offended!

The northern and southern hemispheres are different, the same distance from the equator won't give you the same climate anywhere in the world, it depends on the surrounding topography, position, etc etc, and... well, actually, I'm not going to get into a pedantic internet squabble, let's just chalk it up as a win for you :) Well done!

It was a point in context... Not an accurate descriptor of geography in latitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back