IS this a Gee up - Boa Constrictor released into Oatley Park duckponds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will give a genuine 100% guarantee they are out there.

yes - but the limitation to 'somewhere' could be 'anywhere' - and that could mean in their natural environment of course - interestingly enough they're hard enough to find in their natural environment let alone running around Sydney!

apparently, well acording to the reptile keeper at Mogo Zoo the burmese python they have was found by the side of the road. some must have dumped it there probably got to big for who ever dumped it.

Where did your mate hear this? I know that marsh very well as I used to catch turtles, red bellies and EWDs there as a kid. My parents still live 10 mins walk from where you are talking about.

I very much doubt that a RTB would survive down there for long (if it even exists - which I also doubt).

Oatley park is used for Criterium racing on Weekends so I guess it came about from discussions there...to be honest I dont know where he heard it...these things can be like "chinese whispers" in that the original source gets corrupted..tho I have quoted his email verbatim.

Florida is as tropical as North QLD.

"Sayin'" is correct spelling (the apostrophe is there in place of the removed g), even if it is informal.

No snake with a 45 inch girl was released in the vicinity of Sydney recently.

The Easter Bunny is a mythical creature.

I agree that 45 inch is a tad (o.k a great deal) excessive ....however, we have no proof either way that a very large exotic species was or was not released in there recently....I know of a lot (again only anecdotal) of illegal species imported (have never actually seen any) but heard a lot of stories by people who let's say have what one may term disreputable associations...mostly ball pythons or what not...but who is to say someone illegally smuggled in a small Anaconda or Burmese and it grew too big for them to handle...and it was released. I am "agnostic" on this one...so want to check it out for myself...but at least this has generated some discussion and we have all had a few lessons in grammar etc ..so has not been a total waste of time. :eek:)

Note..some of the above repeated in earlier post...I am still getting the hang of double quotes..cut/paste/repaste etc...note to self...save in another wordpad and bung it all in at the end :eek:)

Last edited:
Yes there are certainly plenty of Red Tailed Boas and (other exotics) around; however I suspect that due to the obvious exaggeration this is just an urban legend.

Also, the racing circuit is nowhere near the marsh as it is only accessible via an unsealed fire trail that would destroy a road bike. Therefore it's impossible that someone just saw it while they were racing.

In relation to the likelihood of a RTB surviving down there, it may make it through the summer but would not last out the cold winter temps. There would be plenty of food for it down there that's for sure.

You helped me on that one...I was going to ride up there on my racing bike but will now use the MTB instead. Too bad the weathers so crap today...would have been ideal yesterday

mate of mine said he knew someone who was selling an eight metre boa after a couple of phone calls it turned out to be a four metre coastal so i reckon your average member of the public have no idea about species and size of snakes so its probably a 45 inch long diamond lol

Dont worry folks, got its sorted. The snake has been caught and the 45 inch girl are now safe.

yes - but the limitation to 'somewhere' could be 'anywhere' - and that could mean in their natural environment of course - interestingly enough they're hard enough to find in their natural environment let alone running around Sydney!

This is true. Though a few years ago when my dad, brother and I were travelling towards Elmhurst to stay, all 3 of us saw what was definitely not just a large feral cat crossing the road in front of the car. Just after it had gotten dark....

Hey people. don't under estimate how a snake can adapt to conditions. EG: all it has to do to warm up is bask in the sun for a bit, even on a cold winter morning.
I for one hope it is not there, but you do see pics from time to time of this sort of thing going around emails, although I have asked the question before how legitimate are the pics & location. As it was said previous, there are some clever people out there that are good with computer images.
Look at the Burmese python taking over Florida, if the same happened here lord help us. But there is DUMB DICKS that would do this, & if caught should face ful punishment. Look at the cane toad up this way & encroahing well into NT & Kimberly region.

If I lived near there & had spare time I would certianly look into the situation & report to apropriate authorities or rectify the stupid problem before it got worse.

Happy Hunting, Ian

Was it a dog?

This is true. Though a few years ago when my dad, brother and I were travelling towards Elmhurst to stay, all 3 of us saw what was definitely not just a large feral cat crossing the road in front of the car. Just after it had gotten dark....

What's wrong with toads ian_davo?

They may be invasive, but they keep the mozzie population down...

They don't kill well adapted natives... some have suffered - but most are now recovering...

Some frogs do better now as well...

As far as one burmese python - not an issue so long there's no hybrids out there...

Perhaps we just look at Florida (as suggested earlier - it is not tropical and shares similar temperatures to Brisbane) - it's not impossible for a 'tropical' exotic to take hold in any part of mainland Australia. Most reptiles are well adapted to surviving a winter. And Aussie winters are conducive to this too....

Mate the only thing toads are good for is to put into a QLD jersy for an ornament.
Let us hope that someone does not let a hybrid go, then we have all colors out there.
Cheers.

Corns would survive in Sydney, and probably do very well, unfortunately for those who like them. I doubt anyone in their right mind would ever let them be imported, traded and bred in large numbers. But, boa constrictors would never survive in Sydney for too long. They would eventually succumb to too-low-temperature-related diseases. But corns, no problem, they would probably survive in Tasmania.

Corns would survive in Sydney, and probably do very well, unfortunately for those who like them. I doubt anyone in their right mind would ever let them be imported, traded and bred in large numbers. But, boa constrictors would never survive in Sydney for too long. They would eventually succumb to too-low-temperature-related diseases. But corns, no problem, they would probably survive in Tasmania.

For One I hope you are right. But no one can say for sure. & if dicks let em go there, what is stopping the letting go anywhere else.
ONLY people like us that can try to educate the uneducated.
When is the hunt on.
Ian Davo.

I have Diamonds in an outdoor enclosure in Emerald Central Qld. So you people are telling me that snakes cannot live out of thier domain.
That is absolute bull____ as my Diamonds are doing very well for a so called cold clinate snake.
I hope that american & indonesian snakes can read the thermoters. Bad luck for the snake if it looses sight of the sun & cannot warm itself.

I will give you many cheers when you catch it/them.

If it was like Florida, who knows what you might find there.

I think that I just came up with a solution for the cane toad;
Bring back cracker night.
For the 45 inch girth python just give a reward.
Cheers. Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back