Is this a pure coastal Jag??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danster

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, posted a while back a nice little coastal I was given by a friend who moved OS`s for work; he apparently only paid $400 for it, and knew little about it. He told me he only knew it as a Jag. I remembered reading about pure coastal jags and their neuro problems, and after noticing some strange movements from the hatchie, and comparing pics, I am fairly sure it is a pure coastal jag. It`s neuro problems don`t seem to bother it any, still feeds fine and gets about fine. I try to keep handling to a minimum as I heard stress can heighten the condition. It`s such a beautiful reptile, and I am pretty fussy about my snakes` histories and such, so was pretty annoyed when no info was known by the previous owner, esp when it is a high range python.
So I would be eternally grateful if any of you coastal or jag/morph breeders could give me some heads up, and any special care these guys need. Thanks in advance, and sorry about the crap pics; taken with an ipod. Will try get more pics with a better camera later.

P.S.- Check out the buffalo skull on its head, pretty cool. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 178
There is no way for you to tell! you can only go by the word of the breeder/seller...

How can something be pure if it's a muddy throw-together of a few breeds??

Ash the coastal jags are actually pure coastals; a bloke in Europe first bred them, they are from a co-dominant gene that coastals carry; jags are a coastal thing, jungle jags and bredli jags come from cross breeding with coastal jags.

I agree that it cannot be pure, but i do accept that it is a Jag.
I believe they need no more special requirements than any other coastals. Read some info on Jags & you will find that all Jags have the possibility of developing neuro problems right throughout thier life.
But it is my personal experience that these neuro issues are minor in most cases if present at all, & most Jags go on to live a healthy life.

Cheers
Ian

How can something be pure if it's a muddy throw-together of a few breeds??

Are you serious? You felt compelled to share that pearler with us? :facepalm:

Anyway Danster, what you have there is a free designer pet snake with absolutely ZERO conservation value. What this means is, it's heritage, while possibly of interest to you, is irrelevant. As Inkster pointed out, it is certainly possible to have pure coastal Jags, as the original gene came from a coastal pairing. Could be a mix, ultimately doesn't matter as it's a morph project, not "release to it's original place in the wild" project. Just enjoy it! The neuro issues are with the jag gene itself, has nothing to do with the species. Yes, I have a few Jags.

My prediction: As question is now answered as good as it's going to get, thread will be closed in under 20 posts. Once the mouth breathers catch wind of this thread, it'll get pretty ugly, pretty fast!

lol, I just realised that I AM one of those ppl who got a snake without knowing its history!! Although at first I was supposed to be housing the snake for my mate for 6 months; and he offered to me to keep when he saw how much I liked it. :)

Anyway Danster, what you have there is a free designer pet snake with absolutely ZERO conservation value. What this means is, it's heritage, while possibly of interest to you, is irrelevant. As Inkster pointed out, it is certainly possible to have pure coastal Jags, as the original gene came from a coastal pairing. Could be a mix, ultimately doesn't matter as it's a morph project, not "release to it's original place in the wild" project. Just enjoy it! The neuro issues are with the jag gene itself, has nothing to do with the species. Yes, I have a few Jags.

My prediction: As question is now answered as good as it's going to get, thread will be closed in under 20 posts. Once the mouth breathers catch wind of this thread, it'll get pretty ugly, pretty fast!

Hi Snake whisperer,
Not every snake has to have its value weighed by its conservation factor & yes it has allready created conversation, but i agree for how long i don't know.
Maybe you should run a TAB.

Cheers
Ian

Thanks Snake_Whisperer, Took me a while to pluck the courage to post lol, after searching through other threads and seeing a lot of angry posts!! I suppose the fact is they are out there, they are here now, and no amount of whinging will change that. To me, it is a python still, sheds, eats, poos and hides, just like a python, and it still needs care and a home like any other python. And I value your info Snake_Whisperer, its the knowledgeable herpers advice I always seek on this site, and I know you`re one of them, and there isnt too many of you guys on here IMO lol.

Thanks Snake_Whisperer, Took me a while to pluck the courage to post lol, after searching through other threads and seeing a lot of angry posts!! I suppose the fact is they are out there, they are here now, and no amount of whinging will change that. To me, it is a python still, sheds, eats, poos and hides, just like a python, and it still needs care and a home like any other python. And I value your info Snake_Whisperer, its the knowledgeable herpers advice I always seek on this site, and I know you`re one of them, and there isnt too many of you guys on here IMO lol.

Don't listen to me then, i know bugger all & that is probably proven somewhere.

Cheers
Ian

Hi Snake whisperer,
Not every snake has to have its value weighed by its conservation factor & yes it has allready created conversation, but i agree for how long i don't know.
Maybe you should run a TAB.

Cheers
Ian

Hey Ian, was that some sort of shot? I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you inferring that I was saying conservation value somehow correlates with monetary value? Sorry mate but your post made no sense to me whatsoever. The only slim tie to conservation you'd find in this animal and others of it's ilk would be the positive "wow" factor that may turn non-herpers off of the shovel. Anyway, if it's not a dig, I still don't understand! :p

Don't listen to me then, i know bugger all & that is probably proven somewhere.

Cheers
Ian

Apologies Ian, took me ages to write that post and didnt see yrs until afterwards. :oops: You are another member whose advise I always listen to; I don`t think I have ever seen any of yr posts that the experienced keepers have disagreed with. Sorry Ian, you are one of the few, there just seems to be soo many inexperienced ppl on here sometimes always wanting to bignote themselves and give wrong info or advise, there are about 40 ppl on here out of many that I consider knowledgeable enough to post info and help ppl. You are one of them. :)

Apologies Ian, took me ages to write that post and didnt see yrs until afterwards. :oops: You are another member whose advise I always listen to; I don`t think I have ever seen any of yr posts that the experienced keepers have disagreed with. Sorry Ian, you are one of the few, there just seems to be soo many inexperienced ppl on here sometimes always wanting to bignote themselves and give wrong info or advise, there are about 40 ppl on here out of many that I consider knowledgeable enough to post info and help ppl. You are one of them. :)

See i fooled you too. LOL.
Cheers

Regardless of the fact that it may or may not be a pure Jag as such,this gentleman has come on here after agreeing to keep a snake due his friend going over seas and has asked advice. The most important advice here that i can see is the neuro problems and him asking if this guy will require any special treatment now and in the future.
The snake is there,he has it,he wants to do well by it. I would love to see people posting about those issues i have mentioned above as even thou i do not have one,i am interested in the answer myself.

people hate snakes no matter its colors,u have a jag mate,but u cant say what it is,could be a coastal pure,but may not be,u dont know its history so could be anything

not knowing its history u cant claim it to be anything but a carpet jag

nice to know breeders are telling folk exactly what they are getting so it doesnt muddy things for the pure brigade,or even if they did it can fall on deaf ears

nice looking snake regardless,carpet jag is probably all you can call it not knowing anything about its lineage

being a jag doesnt nessacarilly mean it will develop neuro probs,so keeping wise just treat it like a coastal or jungle,if probs develop then go from there

I dont know enough about your questions to post informative and 100% correct answers, so I will just say that you have a very good looking snake and I hope all goes well with him for you :) I am glad you could give him a caring home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back